Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Home Theater Products

Groovin'
Max260
Accepted Solution

Sony Sound Bar HDMI Port

I'm thinking about getting a Sony HT-CT260H sound bar.  I've noticed on the specification it has a Hdmi in/out. 

I have an old 2006 sony bravia.  I think it's a KDL model, but not sure.  It has one Hdmi outlet.  It also has an optical.  I would connect it to the optical port, but I think if you use the Hdmi it automaticaly shuts off the optical port. (I'm not sure about this) 

So I was thinking about using the Hdmi.  If I run The Hdmi cable to my satellite receiver to the sound bar and then get another cable and run it to the sound bar out port to the TV's Hdmi port, Will I get a picture or just sound?

This TV does not have an Hdmi ARC port.  

If this does not work, Is there much difference in sound from a analog than Hdmi.  This would be my only option if the optical and Hdmi does not work.

Thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
SamT

Re: Sony Sound Bar HDMI Port

If you have a 2006 BRAVIA TV, it would only output sound through optical connection if it is connected to an antenna or to direct cable from the wall. Since you have a satellite receiver, you can connect an optical cord from it directly to the sound bar. If you want to hear audio through your sound bar regardless on what you're watching on the TV then you may need to connect red  & white cords from the AUDIO OUT ports of the TV. Turn TV Speakers OFF then set AUDIO OUT option to either Fixed or Variable

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

http://bit.ly/Win-4K

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Max260

Yeah, I searched the internet and found out that the optical will not work if you are using the hdmi.  I also know that you can use the optical to the satellite.  You will have to hook up every thing else to RCA cables.

I guess if I have to get the sound bar,  I need to hook it up to the RCA.

I have another question for you. I still looking at the Sony HT-CT260H.  I think it has a 3.5 jack in on the back.

If I was to hook it up via 3.5 to rca connection to the TV, will it sound good.  I know it would not sound as good as a HDMI or optical.  Is there really that much of a difference?

I found out what tv I have. It''s a Sony Bravia Model NO. KDL-46S2010. Manufactured in 2007.

Please use plain text.
RichO

Hi Max260! Technically the connection should work under normal operation.  You only get stereo if you plan to use the RCA to 3.5 adapter audio cable as compared to HDMI that you can enjoy surround sound when watching certain channels. 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

http://bit.ly/Win-4K

Please use plain text.