Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 5 (418 Views)
Accepted Solution

TA-AX301 Acoustic Controlled Amplifier - System Control?

I have recently acquired a Sony TA-AX301 Acoutic Controlled Amplifier. On the rear it has connectors for 3 flat cables labeled "System Control" 1 - 2 - 3.

What devices connect with these flat cables? What does "System Control" mean?

Even though the unit has Video, Tape, CD and Phono functions, on the rear there are RCA connectors only for Phono, CD and Video. It appearrs that a tape device would use the flat cable?

I have not been able to locate a user manual anywhere, even though the service manual is on hifiengine and elsewhere.

Any information about this receiver would be appreciated.

ta-ax301 front.jpg ta-ax301 rear crop.jpgta-ax301 rear.jpg

Expert
Message 2 of 5 (381 Views)

Re: TA-AX301 Acoustic Controlled Amplifier - System Control?

Wow, that's an oldie but goodie. This was a sort of all in one stereo set. Those retangular ports were used to connect a tuner and a tape deck. Power, controls, and audio were routed thru those connections to/from the amplifer to the separate tuner and tape deck. It was bundled as a kit (amp, tuner, and tape player). It's only good as a phono amp, CD player amp, and stereo video amp without those other missing pieces.

The tuner was a digital AM/FM unit with a red LED display. The tape player was a two cassette model with synchronized copying and some other minor features.

'System control' I think implies that some of the remote control signals were sent from from the amp to the tuner. Only the amp had an IR receiver for the remote but yet it could control the tuner functions thru those missing cables.

I have a TA-AX285 packed in a box with all the associated cables and components. I hadn't even thought about it until I read your post. When you use the remote to increase or decrease the volume, a motor drove the volume ******. How quaint. What else do you need to know?

Just out of curiosity, what were you planning to do with this? This thing is quite old and has been eclipsed by optical connections, HDMI, internet streaming, lossless audio, multi-channel audio, etc. The olny good thing I could say today is it's got a good old tube amp.
Expert
Message 3 of 5 (380 Views)

Correction, I omitted the fact that it also shipped with a turntable.

SEN-280 Manual (includes TA-AX285)
https://www.manualslib.com/products/Sony-Ta-Ax285-509068.html

You may have better luck finding the manual if you know the system model number (SEN-280 includes the TA-AX285 and others)
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 5 (309 Views)

Thanks for the info. I located a complete system offered on the Bay, all three units, the Sony TA-AX301 Amplifier, ST-JX301 Tuner and TC-W301 Cassette Deck. I see from the photos how they are connected.

I was looking for a simple, 2-speaker stereo system and found this receiver for a good price. The integrated equalizer is a bonus. The system will have only two stereo inputs, a TV and an Internet radio, so this unit will do fine.

AX301 stack01.jpg

AX301 stack02.jpg

Expert
Message 5 of 5 (306 Views)

Sounds like this will do the job for you. Good luck and enjoy!

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook