Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 6 (1,256 Views)
Accepted Solution

Using STR-DA5300ES with Zone 2

I have a STR-DA5300ES receiver in my living room with surround sound, and a smaller Sony receiver with speakers in my dining room.  

I'd like to be able to listen to the output of the living room receiver in the dining room.  I thought that's what the Zone 2 and Zone 3 capability on the STR-DA5300ES receiver are all about, but I'm unable so far to get them to work.  

I've configured the STR-DA5300ES to have Zone 2 "ON" and set to "Source".  (I'm assuming that this will put whatever the STR-DA5300ES is playing, out on the Zone 2 jacks.)  I've connected the Zone 2 jacks via RCA cable to the SAT jacks on my dining room receiver.  

But nothing is playing when the STR-DA5300ES is going.  I've also changed from "Source" to "FM" to experiment, but this doesn't work either.  

Any advice?  What am I doing wrong?

Expert
Message 2 of 6 (1,241 Views)

Re: Using STR-DA5300ES with Zone 2

When all else fails, RTM. From pg 112 of the manual:

"Only signals from components connected to the
analog input jacks are output through the ZONE 2
OUT/ZONE 3 OUT jacks. No signals are output
from components connected to only the digital
input jacks."

Therefore, it will not put whatever is playing on the receiver in Zone 2. What are you trying to send to Zone 2?
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 6 (1,237 Views)

Forgive me, but I have RTM and that's why I'm here.  I'm not understanding it.  :-)

I take it that this means I can't get my Apple TV audio, which comes in on input HDMI 1, to play on Zone 2.  That's a shame, because that's what I really want (and maybe it's time to get a new receiver).  

But can I get it to play inputs on VIDEO 1, VIDEO 2, or DVD?  If I leave it on "Source" will it play those?

Thanks for your help.  

Expert
Message 4 of 6 (1,235 Views)

Analog inputs (RCA plug connected devices) will work. HDMI, optical, and digital coax connections won't.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 6 (1,233 Views)

Thanks.  And will selecting "Source" pass whichever analog input is active through to Zone 2?

Expert
Message 6 of 6 (1,225 Views)

The limitation is there to protect digital content and is commonly found on other receivers. Content providers asked for this. If you buy a new reciever, make sure it has atleast two HDMI outputs and that the reciever your plug into also has HDCP 2.2 or you will still not be able to get Apple TV audio to work.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook