Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 21 of 30 (1,410 Views)

Re: sony ht-ct550w no sound to wireless subwoofer.

I click on the back of the subwoofer and its working
Enthusiast
Message 22 of 30 (1,359 Views)

Ok so the only way to link the sub to the sound bar is through the tv menu. Got it done. But the premise of a sub that physically comes with the sound bar that you have to so through such extraordinary measures to get them to play together is silly. I still stand by the concept of them coming out of the box linked or via the songpal app like you would add another speaker is how it should be designed in the future.
Enthusiast
Message 23 of 30 (1,355 Views)

Another separate comment on the sound bar. Why can't Sony TVs have a power outlet for the sound bar? This would be great if I could have readily available power for my sound bar. Oh, but no. I have to run AC power across my fireplace to get power to the sound bar that is directly under my Sony TV!
Enthusiast
Message 24 of 30 (1,354 Views)

Oh here is another idea. How about making the sound bar attachable to the TV?
Rookie
Message 25 of 30 (1,118 Views)

Life long Sony customer--but no more. Advice--do not buy Sony. 

Same problem here--all of a sudden sub woofer not working. Tried everything from the owner's manual--nothing. Tried online help--nothing. Worthless. Sony not worth the money.

Worst part---I had to unbuild, remove much of furniture, decorations to get to subwoofer, reset button------all to have the procedure not work.

DO NOT BUY SONY. Avoid.

Apprentice
Message 26 of 30 (444 Views)

Here's a reply to your 4 and a half year-old post... and about a different model, but whatever.

This "cold reset" technique is spotty at best. What has SOMETIMES worked for me, but is still TERRIBLY frustrating as I have to do this EVERY TIME I want to listen to music or TV audio with a modicum of bass, is doing several "cold resets" unplugging the soundbar (really annoying), and waiting several minutes. Then I try to WS... LINK... START... SEARCH. This fails repeatedly. Then you unplug the soundbar for several minutes. You go into your wireless settings on your router. I adjusted these several different ways (it's really unbelievable that Sony suggests not using wireless devices while trying to use this bass subwoofer...) - finally choosing to lower the strength of the 2.5GHz signal to 25% and allowed only up to 52Mbs transmission. I also chose AUTO for channel - which seems a little like playing the lottery because NOWHERE can I find online what the default channel is for 802.1n connectivity between the soundbar and the subwoofer. Then I unplugged the soundbar again. And waited. The subwoofer had a green light instead of red (this sometimes just happens after repeated attempts at linking), and I attempted to link again... WS... LINK ... START ... SEARCH and it connected right away. 

Note that I bought my HTCT260H on amazon in 2015. Apparently with this model I cannot select the RF channel via the soundbar. I can't choose "WS.ON" for example. I don't have physical transceivers in the back of the soundbar and subwoofer that can be removed. 

It's daily that I want to listen to music or TV sound with the subwoofer attached. Daily I contact Sony customer support and ask them to replace the device. They repeatedly give me a phone number for a Sony repair service that I know will charge 70 dollars and 30 dollars shipping to "repair" it.  When it works sometimes. But not without a lot of annoying effort. I should say, too, that when trying to link this subwoofer, it BEEPS incessantly. Which is maddening. I've learned that if it doesn't connect right away, the f***er won't connect at all. So you have to start over.

And for me, too, this happened after the warranty expired. So Sony says it's out of warranty. My frustration is common. That's why you see a video like this: https://youtu.be/nyCtaciiM8Y from the Onion.

My theory is that Sony didn't design this product with the strength of available wireless connections in mind. So that when I moved to this apartment and purchased a high-quality (strong signal) router, the soundbar is having trouble making that subwoofer handshake. It remains a mystery how Sony designed this connection to be made. Knowing THAT would be helpful "troubleshooting." If the subwoofer has an SSID, I don't think it's broadcast - perhaps it is. It's not broadcasting a unique IP according to my phone's Net Analyzer Lite app, and it's not connected wirelessly to the router (obviously) nor is the subwoofer connect-able via blutooth directly. It seems to connect via a sort of WPS (wifi protected setup) similarly to how my Brother Printer (MFCJ450DW) can connect, just not as well, or rather, not as consistently. Love that printer. The printer, even off, is able to wake up and work when commanded. 

When something works so consistently you can rely on it, that's worth a lot this day in age.

Were I to replace this $230 dollar device with something that works in a similar way, I think I'd run into similar problems. I think Sony should take note and design a better soundbar-subwoofer (and maybe they do) that can connect with each other directly through a wifi router as an option. If they're both connected to wifi, they could make that handshake, say hello, let go of the wifi, and proceed to work. If the connection is interrupted, they can relocate each other via wifi. 

I wonder what other people have done to fix their soundbar/subwoofer connection on this model and others. Have they given up? Found better alternatives? Gone wired? Gone crazy?

Expert
Message 27 of 30 (409 Views)

$230 is a cheap soundbar. There is a little "you get what you pay for" at this price point. That being said, cheap soundbar bars from other manufacturers are just as cheap and yet still working with the same amount of use.

Sony and Samsung soundbars at the lower end of the price point don't have a reputation for reliability or longevity. Both have made priceier models that can't hack it too. There will be no fixes once the warranty is gone. The best thing to do is avoid Sony and Samsung soundbars period. They seem to weak by design or manufactured to a lower standard.

If you are under warranty, have Sony repair the device. If not, you probably need to shop for a more durable solution and take this as a lesson learned. Otherwise, they are not worth repairing. They are no consumer level solutions to fix these devices once the start failing. If you are handy and have access to electronic repair and troubleshooting tools, you can DIY repair these cheaper than sending them to Sony.

On the other hand, in one of my rooms, I use a Sony HT-XT1 sounbase from 2014 that has been flawless. It doesn't have a wireless sub. They seem to have a problem with wireless subs.
Rookie
Message 28 of 30 (368 Views)

Unplug tv,speaker bar and woofer wait 10 mins ..Plug back in....

Apprentice
Message 29 of 30 (318 Views)

Um. That worked, Bob.

Thank you!

Really wish you'd been around sooner. Ha! I'm so glad I posted here.

This is, well, great... It's good.

It's ok.

It's fine.

It's passable.

It's less than ideal.

Until I sell this on Craigslist,

it will have to do.

Because

It's still a shame, Sony.

It's a shame because it seems like I will always have to unplug everything for 10 minutes.

If I want to hear bass.

Sending good karma to you, Bob.

May other frustrated sonysoundbar rookies, enthusiasts, wanderers find this post. 

Enthusiast
Message 30 of 30 (295 Views)

The bass was the best part, but I had a problem with the Sony plug

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook