Welcome to the Community!

Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 11 of 17 (418 Views)

Re: str dn1080 sound drops

MR_F...I am about to do the same with this one. After already doing a return/replace and noticing the same issue, I don't know what else I can do. Sony offered to fix the first one I had, but their process was more complicated then Amazon's return policy, so I went with the latter. It's a bummer that Sony can't seem to fix this.

Enthusiast
Message 12 of 17 (408 Views)

I was offered a replacement but opted for a refund as i don't think all the bugs and issues I had were solely unique to the unit i had, especially after googling.

I went for a Denon which cost more money but no audio drop outs so far whilst playing from usb and network when the television is turned off. It doesn't have chromecast unfortunately so can't test that for drop outs.
Enthusiast
Message 13 of 17 (356 Views)

I'm planning to do the same. My sound drop outs are happening on Amazon Video too. There's clearly something up with the receiver.

Eyeing up a Denon too. A real shame as I've been a long standing fan of the Sony receivers in the past. Great sounding until - just a real let down with the glitches and snagging points.

Enthusiast
Message 14 of 17 (338 Views)

that's odd. i had two sony receivers and am now on a yamaha one and i still get the drop outs. all indicators seem to point to the tv, it's the only piece of equipment i havenb't swapped out. i've called the sony help line, and they STILL can't fix it, whether its the tv or another piece of equipment.

CLG Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Message 15 of 17 (326 Views)

I kicked off this series of posts. We have now resolved the issue. After many many hours of experimenting with different set ups and isolating each of the components in the system we discovered that the problem stemmed from our Sony TV. I don't have enough tech knowledge to explain in detail but it seems that the TV digitally 'communicates' with other parts of the system and this causes the drop out. It happens even if the TV is off but still connected and plugged in. We have been told that only LG and Samsung TVs avoid this. Certainly we don't have the problem with our new LG TV and actually prefer it anyway. En route to resolving the problem we also exchanged the Sony receiver for a Yamaha. This has the added benefit of a proper coax cable for the FM radio. No more Sony for us - ever!
Enthusiast
Message 16 of 17 (313 Views)

CLG- glad you've solved your problem and all seems to be working. Still sounds like the Sony receiver is problematic in the end.

Unfortunately mine is still glitchy, and I even have a Samsung TV. Same TV worked absolutely fine on my previous receiver. Spoke to AV shop about it and they suggested optical is more reliable rather than HDMI ARC, but I'm getting same issue on both connections.
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 17 of 17 (103 Views)

Same problem. I get audio dropouts while watching TV in Dolby Digital (Freeview|HD in New Zealand). The sound randomly cuts out for about 1 second every 5-15 minutes out seems.

HDMI ARC and optical are both affected. TV is a 2013 Panasonic Viera E6 series. No problems with my previous Onkyo AVR via optical.

I emailed Sony New Zealand support the other week - no reply!

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook