Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Internet TV

Groovin'
waghsm
Accepted Solution

How to connect a Sony Bravia KDL-60EX645 TV using a Ethernet switch?

I want to connect internet to a Sony Bravia KDL-60EX645 TV using wired ethernet using a D-Link switch.

The ethernet cable coming from router is connected to one of the ports of the switch and the another ethernet cable is connected to another port of the switch and other end to the TV. However, TV does not recognize the ethernet connetcion. If I connect a ethernet cable from a computer to one of the switch ports the computer gets on the internet so switch is working fine.

If I connect the ethernet cable coming directly from a router to the TV the internet is connected. So the networking on TV is working fine too.

What could be the issue? Thanks.

Please use plain text.
AngelaP

Re: How to connect a Sony Bravia KDL-60EX645 TV using a Ethernet switch?

Hi waghsm!

Thanks for the message. Ethernet switches or hubs does not have the capability of assigning an IP address to a Bravia Internet Video Device thus your TV won't connect to the internet. Unlike switches or hubs, a router links a device to the network using an IP address thus your TV will connect to the internet when you bypass the switch.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution."

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
waghsm

Thanks for the reply Angela. However, my computer can get connected to the internet using one of D-Link switch ports. But the TV can not using the same switch port.

I understand switch does not assign IP addresses then how come computer gets connected but not the TV?

Thanks. 

Please use plain text.
AngelaP

Your computer gets connected to your network using a switch because a computer has a software that will allow it to obtain an IP address from a switch or hub while the TV doesn't. 

Please use plain text.