Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 12 (2,612 Views)
Accepted Solution

My TV wired connection is not working.

The TV's wired ethernet connection refuses to work.  WiFI works fine.

I have tried using static IP settings for the wired ethernet, changed the cable, connected to a different port, rebooted both the TV and the Hub, powered the TV and the Hub off and on, performed a factory reset of the TV (this enables the connection to work for five minutes, then the connection was lost again).

I'm on my second XE9305, the first one had a thin black line a third across the panel, the first XE9305 had the same problem with connecting to wired ethernet.  Though the first XE9305 worked for about two days through the wire, then refused to connect again after that.

The ethernet cable is short, standard patch length, CAT5, there are other devices plugged in to the same ethernet hub, they all work fine.

I had a Samsung TV previous, connected with the same ethernet cable, to the same hub with no problem.

This does seem to ge a common problem with Sony TVs. 

Please advise me on how to fix this as I don't want to use wifi as in my area it is so congested.

Ta.

Expert
Message 2 of 12 (2,606 Views)

Re: My TV wired connection is not working.

If your router has 5 Ghz ac protocol you can probably do better than the 100M wired connection over wifi.   The 5Ghz bands tend to be less congested - but also don't work as well through walls.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 12 (2,572 Views)

Just looking at the hub's DHCP log the tv never even requests an IP addr.
Expert
Message 4 of 12 (2,567 Views)

Have you tried swapping the cable with one of the working devices to check both the cable and the hub port?  Does the light even come on at the hub connection?

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 12 (2,507 Views)

HI,

I have swapped the cable to a know working cable, and swapped the connection on the hub to a known working one.

Sadly, the hub doesn't have lights on each ethernet RJ45 socket.

Rookie
Message 6 of 12 (2,444 Views)

I am having the same problem.  I can discconect the CAT6 from the TV and put it in my laptop and it works fine but if i plug it into my TV it doesn't work.  Did you find a solition? 

Expert
Message 7 of 12 (2,442 Views)

This is kind of unlikely, especially if your cable has ever worked with the TV, but the TV only has a 100M port.   If you test with some other device that has a 1G port there is one difference in the spec that could possibly make a difference.  Gig ports are able to automatically sense and correct for the need for a crossover cable  - that is, flip the transmit and receive wires, whereas 100M ports do not.

In the old days hubs and switches were designed to use straight cables to computers, but would need a crossover cable to connect between 2 hubs or switches.   If by some odd chance, you tried to use a crossover cable between your switch and some end point device, it would work on a gig port but not 100M.    However, this seems unlikely because if the switch is gig, it should compensate anyway (although I've had one that didn't), and unless you explictly buy crossover type cables the default would be the straight connection you need.

Rookie
Message 8 of 12 (2,405 Views)

Unlikely as it may be this is in fact what is happening. How would I fix it is the question not answered. FWIW, I sell networking equipment for a living and so I am confident and able to check the specifications.

I’ve been using the same cat six cable in the back of the television for year. As of last week, Television says there is no wired connection. This has happened in the past, but it came back after reboot. Not this time.

I have a 10/100/1000 switch acting as a hub. I moved the switch end of the CAT6! Into a different port on the switch where a wireless access point over POE was plugged in. The access point came up on the port that the TV would not. But the TV did not come up on the port where the access point had previously function fine. I took the cat six cable out of the back of the television and plugged it into my Dell laptop with a USB adapter and it comes up just fine. I did the same on my wife’s MacBook and it also comes up.

Next steps?
Enthusiast
Message 9 of 12 (2,352 Views)

Well, I turned off IPv6 on the TV, rebooted my router and the wired connection came up. Early days yet as it has only been a couple of hours so far, fingers crossed.
Expert
Message 10 of 12 (2,347 Views)

The link-level light you mentioned not coming up on your hub should have to activate before you get around to setting up the IP protocol with the router, so I doubt if IPv6 is related, but who knows how the driver settings work.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook