Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Internet TV

USER-985052
Accepted Solution

Netflix won't load

I received a NSZ-GT1 Internet TV & Blu-ray player for Christmas, and set it up today. Everything is running fine, except for Netflix.

When I start the Netflix app, the splash screen comes up, but the app goes no further. After a while, the splash screen disappears and an error message comes up saying that the app is unable to connect to Netflix. My options are to try again or exit the app. There is no other information but a suggestion to go to the help site which eventually led me to this forum.

I have performed a factory reset and multiple soft resets with no change. I am able to reach Netflix through the browser, but not the app. During the initial start up the system performed an auto-update. From what I have seen on various forums around the interwebs, there have been several problems after the most recent firmware update, specifically with Netflix. I have not seen any report of this specific problem however, nor any workable solution.

Any ideas?
Please use plain text.
Dan_OMara

Re: Netflix won't load

User 985052
Welcome to the Sony user forum. Thank you for posting.

We have not noted an issue with accessing Netflix after the firmware update. However, I am consulting with engineering to see if something else (beyond the firmware) could be the cause of the current issue you are experiencing.

In the interim, please try the following solution ( the second portion may apply to your issue).

Cannot login to the Netflix app with the Internet TV device.
http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/micr ... &stateId=1 0 400530513
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-965235

Hello kind Sony forum users and helpers,
You are not alone. I am having the exact same issue. Just got the Sony Internet TV and Blueray. It downloaded the OS update. Followed steps correctly. But no Netflix. Additionally, no YouTube either. Effectively the apps with videos will not run their videos. However, YouTube and any kinds of videos will work on Google Chrome, but if I can't get this issue solved [not getting Netflix or YouTube the apps to work], I don't need this product , since I have a tablet (an Asus EEE slate) that I can hook up [with HDMI cable] to the monitor Bravia TV and it will allow me to do whatever I normally do on Windows 7 and see it all [including Netflix and YouTube on the browser] on the large screen of the Bravia TV, while navigating on the tablet with its touchscreen. But it doesn't make sense how this hasn't been resolved all this year. I am suspecting it is a conflict between the Honeycomb OS update and the video format H264 that the Netflix app and the YouTube app and other video apps are using.

I called Sony support and I was asked to reset and start all over, but that didn't help. Same problem. Netflix app attempts to load, doesn't show recommendations or anything. Sometimes just stays stuck there with their red Netflix name screen, as if frozen, sometimes it goes to an error message saying try again, and it suggests a netflix URL for help. But I then need to force stop the application.

Netflix did worked on a Roku 2 XS, but I exchanged it for this Sony Google TV (and Blueray) because the Roku product didn't have web browsing. I am thinking of exchanging this Sony Internet TV product back for the Roku and save over a hundred dollars.

Any body else having this problem? Any solutions? Suggestions? Updates?

Thanks for your help,

Jairo
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-965235

This is Jairo again. I posted recently with same problem. Now I have some new information. I am using Centurylink Prism DSL Internet, and although it is giving me adecuate bandwidth 8 Mbps even through WiFi from a Netgear wireless n router connected to the Cisco router provided by Centurylink, I was still not able to get Netflix nor YouTube. So I tried another Internet provider. I tried Verizon through my MiFi Hot Spot device which only gives me less than 1 Mbps. And I was able to get further with Netflix and with YouTube apps with that low bandwidth Hot Spot (3G) than with the Centurylink, so I am suspecting that their router is blocking the Netflix stream somehow. So I will be giving Centurylink a call, or googling to see if others have run into that problem.

Jairo.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-965235

This is Jairo again, and still Sony engineers haven't found the solution, or have been able to give me good answers. The Netflix eventually goes to a message saying that it can't connect to Netflix, to try again or to exit and to use URL netflix.com/tvhelp but that does not make sense. I am also using Centurylink Prism and I called them and they can't seem to find anything wrong on their side. They provide us with ADSL2+ Internet through a residential gateway, the router is a Cisco DDR2200-CL. The alternative is to take back the Sony Internet TV and Blueray unit to the store and exchange it for an Apple TV. The Roku 2 seemed to work, but it didn't have a browser.

Also the Sony Internet TV was taken to another house and Netflix and YouTube did work under a Cable Modem Internet, although rather slow. So does anybody have problems with the two applications?

Please call me at 321-214-5968 if you can give immediate solution. Otherwise I am forced to take this Sony Google TV back to the store and exchange it for an Apple TV to see if I can get Netflix.

Thanks,

Jairo
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-965235

Sent the unit back and got refund. Now trying the Sony media player SMP N200 but while it seems to work well for Netflix and YouTube and so many other video stations, it has a lame browser, and difficult to navigate, unless with a wireless keyboard which I did try, but still requires to use the remote to set up the keyboard for typing into fields, still the videos on the browser would not run, perhaps because it needs an update of Adobe flash but couldn't figure out how to update, or perhaps because it is not an HTML5 browser.
Sending back.

Jairo
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-965235

So is there anyone alive here on this forum that can help?
Please use plain text.