Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Internet TV

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 111 of 120 (1,765 Views)

Re: Why does smart tv lose internet connection after shutdown?

This might be another bug altogether that Sony needs to fix. They certainly need to fix the clash between WiFi internet and internet direct (needed for some of the apps such as Photoshare). Turning the latter off in setup fixed my WiFi problem, but I don’t think I was having problems at every startup. With a try, the photoshare app isn’t worth it anyway...
Enthusiast
Message 112 of 120 (1,722 Views)

Hi Everyone,

I posted a couple of weeks back about my TV not staying connected to internet after shutting it off and taking a long time to connect when turning it on.

I worked with 2nd level tech support who took contol of my tv and tried alot of different things

Factory reset

set up dedicated ip adddress

tried wifi only

tried wired only

tried different wires

tried different ports

Im sure there were other things but I cant remember. I only remember it took hours and still have the problem.

Here is how I fixed my problem

It appears that there are 2 different types of IP addressing, IPV4 and IPV6.  IPV6 is said to be more secure because it uses a larger number base than IPV4.  Some people say IPV4 is faster, some say IPV6 is faster.

When I go to

Settings

Network

Advanced Settings

Network Status

Check Connection

If the results show that IPV4 passed or failed and IPV6 Passed or failed, then you have IPV6 enabled.

go back to advanced settings

IPV6 Setup

Do you want to enable IPV6?

Respond No.

Thats it.

Now when you check Network connection you will only local ok internet ok,  you will not see ipv6 or ipv4.  It is now only using IPV4.

I think that there is still a problem with IPV6 that Sony needs to address so that people who want to use it, can.

Expert
Message 113 of 120 (1,698 Views)

Does your router and internet provider work well with IPv6?  I haven't seen any similar problems. My TV gets an IPv6 address as well as a local IPv4 but I don't know how to tell which it actually uses for internet access.

Enthusiast
Message 114 of 120 (1,686 Views)

[ Edited ]

So after reading the above comments I went back into the IPV6 settings and realized I never manual set those. Only did IPV4.

I manually set IPV6 settings in my router, which affects all wireless and wired devices. However, if you hardwire a device you should also manual set the same info on said device for IPV6.

So now after manually adding a IPV6 dns in the network settings of the TV, all seems good.

Time will tell if the settings stick. If they do, that would point to the "auto" setting for the network settings to be the culprit. My isp has IPV6 support, but no IPV6 dns in my area, which is why I have to point my dns settings to Google. This would explain why the auto feature would fail when trying to pull IPV6 info from my isp. This shouldn't cause all network settings to ****** out like they do, but it's the best guess I have.

Sony will need to fix this as I can't imagine every 900E owner having the knowledge or patience to go into the network settings and assign everything manually.

Expert
Message 115 of 120 (1,672 Views)

Normally your router should auto-assign working values.  It would probably be fine to just disable ipv6 if it doesn't work well for you.

Enthusiast
Message 116 of 120 (569 Views)

I had this problem when I moved my landline phone near my router then my tv wouldn’t connect to wi fi like people on here have said as soon as I moved my landline phone it worked again 👍🏼
Enthusiast
Message 117 of 120 (568 Views)

So obviously it’s interference that causes the problem
Rookie
Message 118 of 120 (516 Views)

Yeah iv had all kinds of similar problems. SONY customer support is a JOKE!!!!! I will never purchase another sony product ever again. Its one nightmare after another. I had my tv go out and they said since it was under warranty they would fix it. Tech showed up and replaced the main board. It didnt work. He said ill call you tom and bring a new power brick. Didnt hear from him. A week later I called SONY and they said they would review my case. Two weeks later i call back. They say theyll send a refurbished tv ti me. They send one and the screen is cracked. So i call them again. They want me to do all their leg work and take pictures of the tv and the box and all this bs. And they blame fedex. Which i didnt pick fedex they did. Mind you i havn't had a tv for about 5 weeks at this point. They say they are reviewing my case again. So two weeks after that i call back and they say we will send you a new tv. So it takes forever to get the new tv and it doesnt connect to my network and they keep saying its my internet but all my samsung and lg and vizio tvs connect to my internet just fine and work perfect. SO DONE WITH SONY!!!!!!
Enthusiast
Message 119 of 120 (467 Views)

Hi, Had same problem, shut off ipv6 in network settings. have not had problem since Dec 8th. read my post from Dec 8.
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 120 of 120 (455 Views)

there’s something in your home on that channel interfering with the signal you can either eliminate things one by one or change the frequency like msimonello said above. Mine was easy because it only happened after I’d moved my landline near the router which obviously interfered with tv wi fi but easy solution which msimonello says just change the channel 👍🏼

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook