Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Internet TV

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 61 of 81 (4,387 Views)

Re: Why does smart tv lose internet connection after shutdown?

Definitely not.  Lot of people have this issue (including me in the past) without having any apps installed.

Static IP assignment and reservation solved mostly my problem, I now have a disconnection once every 3 month instead of every 3 hours.

Sony makes terrific TV sets, have been the leaders in TV design and manufacturing for decades.  Unfortunately, they are far from being at the forefront of computer design.  Since a smart TV is (or at least supposed to be) a seemless integration of a TV and a computer, Sony created a hybrid of a wonderful TV and a very poor computer, resulting in a lot of frustrated owners.

There is a very good reason why there are so few Sony computers and smartphones sold.

Apprentice
Message 62 of 81 (4,377 Views)

But no one has managed to get the TV repair / replacement? And if so, does this solve the problem? I would not want to be a defect caused by some component used only on some lots.

I follow a thread on another forum relating to my model, and I am one of the few to complain of this defect.
If it was a general defect, there would be many more users to complain.
Enthusiast
Message 63 of 81 (4,371 Views)

There are a couple of issues about this.

First, you may be surprised if you did a survey how few owners do connect the smart TV to the Internet.  Most of them don't even know what the smart part is and only use it as a regular TV set.

There are many owners out there who tried the connection, got frustrated and simply gave up on it, without ever investigating it further or complaining about it.

The other issue is interconnectivity.  The connection between the computer part of the smart TV and the Internet involves various devices, like your router, the routers of your Internet provider, cable TV or telephone wiring devices (depending on the how you are getting your Internet connection) and so on.  While there are definite standards for all that equipment, the tolerances are wide.  It is up to the manufacturer of the computer in the smart TV to make sure their design does a reliable and consistent connection to all the equipment out there, and this is where Sony has fallen down.  Their smart TV does work with some of the equipment and fails with others.  Other manufacturers have done a much better job ensuring reliable connectivity with the wide ranging equipment out there that they need to connect to.

Enthusiast
Message 64 of 81 (4,327 Views)

Well said. I am amazed these days the number of people who don't know how to or care to set up electronics properly.
Rookie
Message 65 of 81 (3,999 Views)

[ Edited ]

***FIXED MINE***

I noticed this happening after changing from a BT to a TalkTalk router..

I work in Information Security so have an reasonable knowledge of networking so my fault diagnostics began.

1. Every other device in my house connects to the wifi and works perfectly.

2. The Sony TV connects initially but with limited service and eventually drops connection.

3. Setting a static IP address or defining a DNS server produced the same results.

4. I set up a wireless hotspot through my laptop and the TV connected perfectly.

After identifying this I was able to establish that there is a trust/compatibility issue between the TV and the TalkTalk router. I would like to reiterate that this is not a problem with the router, it stems from something in the SONY firmware. (Cant rule out an incorrect MTU setting).

To completely rule out a problem with the router I connected the TV using a CAT5 cable and everything worked perfectly. Whilst the network cable was still connected I went back into Network Settings and selected WIFI. A connection was established immediately and all services continued to worked perfectly. I disconnected the ethernet cable to be sure it wasnt piggy backing off it and the connection still held.

After restarting the TV a couple of times the connection was still solid and has been for a while now. If anything changes I will report back, but I would recommend establishing your initial connection with a ethernet cable and then enabling wifi.

It seems to require a handshake first before it accepts a wireless high five...  

Enthusiast
Message 66 of 81 (3,917 Views)

[ Edited ]
Looks like this problem is due to wifi channel scanning. I have faced the same issue in W800D. Tried with different WIFI channel settings 6,11. but not working. My TV scans WIFI channel -1 properly. Looks like there is an issue with scanning other channels in crowded wifi locations. Check after changing the WIFI router channel settings to 1 insted of auto.
Enthusiast
Message 67 of 81 (3,353 Views)

""Try this""

My Sony smart tv lost internet connection after every shutdown.
Tried diffrent settings and came up with this!

Go to Home----Settings----Network----Wi-Fi Direct
and set it to off.
Hope this helps everyone

johnnjen

Enthusiast
Message 68 of 81 (3,138 Views)

I got a Sony xbr65x750D this week. I see this issue happening. Everytime i shutdown the system the internet connection drops. Any updates on the solution. So sad and dissapointedMan Sad to see Sony having an issue unfixed for 3 years. Any help to fix this will be great. 

Enthusiast
Message 69 of 81 (3,052 Views)

Hi all I have purchased Sony bravia 43W800d. And also faced the same issue, after many days of trouble shooting I found the solution. It is not the issue with television or Your WiFi router it's just issue of connection between them. I just made 1 change which solved my issue. Please access to your WiFi router settings page from your PC then change the channel from auto to Channel 9 (9Channel worked for me, I haven't experimented with others). This also solved the time reset issue after shutdown of TV.
Hope this will be useful for new buyers like me.
Cheers...
Enthusiast
Message 70 of 81 (1,017 Views)

Static IP address on ethernet interface worked with new Bravia TV here.

Did some diagnostics from router back. The TV picks up the local network, but stops sending any comms.  

The network stack on these devices seems to lock up internally.

Similar issues with DHCP WiFi dropping on Sony tablet after power-down - FWIW. Seems to be a Sony thing.

The posts about authentication etc *may* point to the device challenging its own interface, but the fix seems to be as basic as it is reliable. Just give your TV a static address on ethernet (no DHCP cache or authentication layer).

Appreciate your help.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook