Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Join the Inspiration

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

A7R2 - Give us RAW-filesize options

by samuelandersen Rookie ‎12-06-2016 01:09 PM - edited ‎12-06-2016 09:25 PM
We love the big RAW-files, but for some types of work we also benefit to work in lower resolution. Could you please give us the option to choose the resolution of the RAW-files? There is this options for JPEG, so give us the same on the RAW-files.

L:42M
M:18M
S:11M

Quick win for Sony developers, big Win for A7r2 owners!
Replies
by cws127 Enthusiast
on ‎12-07-2016 02:08 PM

that could be a very handy option, please do it!

by Karmazen Apprentice
‎12-19-2016 10:07 AM - edited ‎12-19-2016 02:26 PM

If you mean raw from different crop: Aps-C gives you 18mp. So 11mp would need a bigger crop all the way to MFT size?, You can't have raw in different sizes unless you use smaller parts of the image sensor, it is not raw if you process it? But perhaps Sony has another opinion on this, but seems to the only way you get a smaller RAW size is if you crop. Otherwise you get lineskipping and that is a really bad idea.

by samuelandersen Rookie
on ‎12-19-2016 01:27 PM
I did not know this, but there would be good to still have more more information than the normal JPEG-files. So solution is use another camera for the work that don't need the big resolution. To secret Sony trick to magically get released ?
by Karmazen Apprentice
on ‎12-19-2016 02:29 PM

Well you can get the A7II if you want smaller files, but you can also just get bigger memory cards and faster computer for the same price as a new camera body? Capture One processes raw files pretty quick, I don't see a real issue, the compressed raw is pretty small and you have the APS-C option to get 18Megapixel files if you really desperate for smaller raw files.

by samuelandersen Rookie
on ‎12-21-2016 02:00 PM
So the better option is to buy a additional camera like the a7ii or a7iii (then that's a Available) for those situations that I neeed to processing 600-800 picture in Lightroom while editing some of them I PS. Lightroom is kind of slow on high res screens like my iMac 5k. Maybe capture one is faster but that is no option for me. Turning the camera into crop mode may be an option but will be crucial to remember to put the camera back to FF mode for "normal" work.