Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Join the Inspiration

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Please add more options for Aspect Ratio (beyond the conventional 3:2 and 16:9)

by andrewbarnecut Enthusiast ‎09-17-2013 04:36 PM edited ‎11-25-2013 11:30 AM

For my own purposes, this suggestion is (at a minimum) aimed at the Alpha SLT-A99 and Cybershot RX1/RX1R cameras. THAT SAID, it is absolutley worth extending across the entire Alpha, NEX, and Cybershot product line.

I would very much like to see additional options for selecting aspect ratios in camera. Currently, both the a99 and RX1 are limited to the native 3:2, as well as 16:9. That said, I would like to purpose these aspect ratio offerings be exended to include 4:3, 5:4, and 1:1. I don't believe this to be an unreasonable request, as the current Cybershot RX100 and RX100II both already offer these additional aspect ratios.

While cropping a photo in post-produciton is always a possibility, I really feel that having the ability to actively compose a shot in the user's intended viewing format is a huge benefit. Furthermore, with the entire Sony camera lineup utilzing some form of live-view driven electronic viewfinder and/or rear LCD display, it is really quite silly not to offer these addtional aspect ratios. The electronic viewfinder, as opposed to traditional static optical finders, offers this type of viewing flexibility.

I sincerely hope to see this suggestion implemented in future firmware updates!

Replies
by Gato-Amarillo Rookie
on ‎10-03-2013 12:32 PM

YES. And even allow us to program custom aspect ratios.

As someone who frequently works to traditional frame and mat sizes, 4:5 would give me and my clients a better idea of the finished photo while working. (4:5 fits traditional 8x10 and 16x20 formats and is very close to 11x14.)

And a great many photographers like the 1:1 square format.

by Jorgechu Rookie
on ‎07-05-2014 04:57 AM

+1 to differente aspect ratios. Is it so difficult to give options to customers??

I understand when a camera more than 2.000 euros has software development problems. But i can´t understand  when you don´t have options not because there is a development problem, but due to strange reasons someone decides to limit your options,that you don´t need something that otherwise can be used. And please, it's not the same to compose, and after crop, that to compose seeing your final image. In anyway it's the same if you are a photographer.

1:1 and 4:5 are pure photographic history, and not by chance!

The RX1 has this option, as almost every non dsrl cameras. from 200 euros up. But we don´t have such a wonderful advance of non mirror cameras against mirror cameras, why?

Please give us the most possibilities to use, don´t forget them considering we don´t need them in our camera. Let us choose as photographers, don´t hide our tools!!

Jorge