Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Join the Inspiration

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SONY Please!!!! Unlock Full AF to 3rd Party lenses on A99II!!!

by JONDJ23 Rookie on ‎11-16-2016 03:55 PM

Peolpe from Europe are reporting that 3rd Party lense such as Sigma and Tamron does function with the 399 Phase Detect af points on the A99ii. This is 3200 dollar camera that does not do what it was advertised. Please Sony Fix This!!!

Replies
by mavic9xi Rookie
on ‎11-16-2016 06:31 PM

Yes. Hybrid Phase Detection AF should be functional for all A mount autofocus lenses. I think full compatibility with 3rd party and legacy Minolta lenses will only increase sales of SLT bodies much like what E mount has done for A7 line cameras. 

by CHImages Enthusiast
on ‎11-17-2016 11:46 AM

I hope that Sony is listening.  I'm concern and I'm hearing the same thing.  I'm almost to the point that I seriously considering other brands.  

by AustinTexan Rookie
on ‎11-28-2016 04:33 PM

I agree.  If SONY doesn't do this, they should at least release the comparable lenses by themself or OEM from Tamron.

by AustinTexan Rookie
on ‎12-01-2016 03:56 PM

Oh wait.  I saw an inside-SONY-guy's post at one major Japanese web site.

It's not SONY but are Tamron/Sigma who should get all those blames.

SONY asked them to provide lens characteristic data but they didn't respond.

Send all your blames to Tamron/Sigma reps.

by JONDJ23 Rookie
on ‎12-01-2016 05:46 PM

Austin I think its a marketing tactic for them to get people to buy their lenses instead of third party as they did with the A99.

The reason that is not the case Tamron/Sigma is hesitating not to provide data is that 1. Tamron doesn't have an incentive to hesitate as they don't have a camera body.

I would think it would be the opposite for Tamron to give the data as this would boost sale of their cheaper lenses than Sony (Ex. 70-200mm f2.8 $1500 compared to Sony's $3000 lens).

Maybe Sigma because they have camera bodies. 

But overall whatever it is or whoever it is it needs to get done. Spending $3200 on a camera body that does not work completely is disappointing. 

It would be a small relief if you could provide me a link Austin

by AustinTexan Rookie
on ‎12-01-2016 07:04 PM

JONDJ23

Per your request, here is the link.

Note that all discussion are in Japanese but maybe Google Translate may help you.

The guy disclosed this secret has good reputation from his past posts, so I think this story is trustworthy.

http://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K0000912430/Page=2/SortRule=1/ResView=all/#20443676

by amir84 Rookie
on ‎03-05-2017 01:00 PM
That s not suitable for a flagship camera to lock a feature for third party lenses I have the same problem with my tamron 24 70 and I think they must fix the issue.
by amir84 Rookie
on ‎03-05-2017 01:05 PM
And I will call both tamron and Sony support to fix it
by Wullie71 Rookie
on ‎03-16-2017 03:10 PM

Sigma 24-105mm Same issue. Sigma said their lenses only work with Cross points. That was there official reply.

when selecting AF points in A99ii, you can only select All or 15, you can't select 61, it is greyed out.

by AustinTexan Rookie
on ‎03-19-2017 07:30 PM

amir84/Wullie71,

It should be very hard for those 3rd party lenses to be fully supported.

You may have difficulty to read the Japanese web page I posted above, but what it says is SONY already tried to support 3rd party lenses, i.e., SONY asked TAMRON/SGMA to provide lens characteristic data so that SONY can support but TAMRON/SIGMA denied to provide such data.

However, those lenses could be supported by A99mkII firmware update once all reaches to the agreement.  I guess there is better chance for TAMRON because SONY is one of the big TAMRON stock holder.

Oh one more thing, the supportability could vary by individual lens.  For example, amir84's TAMRON 24-70 could be difficult one because (I think) it has the same lens ID as genuuine SONY ZEISS 24-70, so it is much harder for camera body to identify the mounted lens is not ZEISS but TAMRON.