Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Join the Inspiration

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Share Your Idea

Sony a6300 suggestions : Improve 1080p, raise temperature limit, and many others!

by dboris Apprentice ‎04-20-2016 01:35 PM - edited ‎10-10-2016 02:00 AM

Hello.

I'm a member of a facebook page about the Sony a6300, with many a6300 owners. I took time watching reviews, and consulting customer's feedback. I came here to talk for them, and I may edit, add suggestions on this post.
The overheat warning isn't as much present as it was since the last firmware update, so I removed the suggestion.

• 1- Improve 1080p
  • 2- Many user's suggestions!
  • 3- Improve remote app - in detail

1- Improve 1080p 

The a6300 4K capabilities are amazing, but many want to avoid rolling shutter, or to shoot S35 30/50/60/120p. To be honest, unless sticking the camera on a tripod, or for very slow movements, the 4K mode is hardly usable and makes the footage jerky. So we have to stick with 1080p. But the a6300's 1080p is bad. It's not even as good as it's little brother the a6000. It's not acceptable since it should be an upgrade from it. The a6300's processor is a beast, I guess the processing power shouldn't be a problem. The Fujifilm X-Pro2 that isn't a movie-mode oriented camera, has the same CMOS and has an amazing 1080p quality, less moiré, less noise.
The A7RII offers even better 1080p, and has far more pixels to process. The implementations of it's algorithm in the a6300 shouldn't be such a big deal. Therefore, giving us a far superior 1080p seems realistic.

a6000 vs a6300 (click) 

a6300 vs X-Pro2 (click)

A7RII vs a6300 (click) 

Now let's talk about the noise:

4K has far less noise than 1080p with the same settings. The noise patern is better. Here a comparaison with both at ISO800, 24p, Slog-3. Why can't we get the same noise performance in 1080p?

4K vs 1080p noise performance (click)

We also would love also to get a higher bitrate (is 100mbits possible?) to reduce the color noise we get when grading LOG footage.

2- Many other suggestions!

- Bigger histogram. Exposure metter that's more readable. It's locked to -2 and +2, that's not enough.

- Being able to use it as a webcam, to record directly on the computer (as a capture device) into premiere. It's great for creating content, but may be hardware-limited :/.
- Try to reduce the rolling shutter in 4K mode (I guess Sony is aware of this and it's not possible...).
- Get rid of the NTSC/PAL warning, or show all modes without having to stuck to only PAL or only NTSC

- Being able to see what is ISO value when shooting with AUTO-ISO.

- Add other customisable functions, ex: iso up/down, focus up/down.

- Being able ton set custom Zoom Speed with RM-VPR1 remote. Right now with 18 105 I can't access the "zoom" menu, and the zoom speed is veeeeery slow. So I can't change it remotly.

- Being able to custom W/T buttons, and the shutter and rec buttons. So when using the RM-VPR1 remote, it could be used for other functions, example: pull focus up or down, change ISO or aputure values, etc. Would be AMAZING when used on a gimbal.
- Let us use all AF fonctionalities when recording a video. It's so frustration to be forced to either AF manually or let the camera do it all! Why not let us use DMF mode?

- Save Custom Functions in the Memory Profiles

- Regroup all video functions on one page in the menus

- Fix the markers; they doesn't match what's in the EVF when recording
- Place "Format" function in a more convenient place
- Being able to send only one picture to our PC directly from the camera. Not having to sync all the pictures.
- Enable continuous af & eye af while shooting in hi speed
- Improve the compatibility with A-mount lenses:

Lock on expandable flexible spot while using the la-ea3 adapter

Drive Mode HI+ not available in AF-C mode

- Improve adapters stability with A mount. Not normal that Sigma's MC-11 is more reliable than Sony's adapter

- Being able to control the EVF sensor (more details in the comments). Idea already suggested here for the A7RII. Would benefit all the Alpha line.

- When using slog picture profiles, we have to over expose by 1 to 2 stop, in order to get a descent image quality. We'd like to see a exposure meter that is also reliable when used with s-log, so without having the need to over-expose.

3- Remote app improvement detailed -tested last app version 22/04/2016-

The a6300 doesn't have a touchscreen, but it has Wifi and can be used via Playmemories app. So it can be controled via our phone and tablets. The app have recently vastly been improved. So I will only cover the video part of this, since it's near perfect for photography. It seems that the Playmemories app isn't as good as it could/should be for video.

Latency is ok ! Latency with an iPad, is very low, and satisfaying.

• In-App limitations are annoying! I firstly thought that the video stream was limited to 1080p etc. But in fact, you can record 4K in 24p, and still get a video stream via wifi on your Ipad! There's no processing-power limitations! You just have to be first in video mode (on the wheel) parameter what you want, and then launch the remote app. But you can't change your advanced settings (video quality, picture profile and so on!) I'm so happy now! So it's really just an app-fix! So what we want: get all the video parameters available in the remote app! All of them! 

• Touch to focus isn’t there ; the app doesn't allow to touch to focus during video (by taping on the screen of your phone or tablet) while many competitors, and even Canon's 80D allows it. It works in photo, make it work for video!

• It’s too consummer-oriented ; Actually, the app is ok for video, for people who do video blogging, or such. To be honest, I doubt that the casual consummer will take the time to use their camera with a tablet nor see any interest into that. Therefore, it should be more pro-oriented. The UI right now looks lame and isn't nice to use! Better to have simpler UI with more features than fancy animations. What we want:

- Get everything out of the way. Nothing function should be layered on top of the video feed (especially that W/T function!)

- Being able to see focus peaking 

Being able to see Zebras
- Being able to shoot in Slog/with picture profiles

- Full screen page with settings/light meter/histogram with the ability to tap and drag a setting to change it on the fly, in a more simple way. Being able to change not only aperture and shutter, but also picture profile, audio levels, and so on. It would be really useful when on a gimbal or a drone; the camera can hardly be manipulated to set it up.

- Being able to personalise this setting page like the a6300 allow us already

- Being able to get the video feedback through USB for less latency, both on PC/MAC and ANDROID/IOS. Canon's does that. Would basically makes any Ipad/tablets, a better monitoring screen than anything on the market. Fortunately Sony doesn't sell those. So... Smiley Very Happy

Expanding video possibilities via wifi would please all videographers, since everyone has at least a smartphone, and every videographer would be happy to make it's phone useful in any way possible. Many competitors aren't there yet, so make the step first.

Thanks for reading and we appreciate that Sony is concerned by it's custommer experience.

3D recording using Sony action cams would be great. It was suggested last summer for the HDR-AS15. It is of course already possible, such as this, but there is no housing to hold the 2 cameras together and keep their footage aligned. Also the stabilisation (Steady shot) of one camera should be used on the other via a sync cable. 

GoPro had the 3D HERO System for HD HERO2 and Original HD HERO, they now have the Dual HERO System for the Hero3+ Black. It records synchronized 2D video or photos to convert to 3D because its interface control allows one camera to control the other’s settings and modes. 

Then a live feed of the 2 Sony actioncam videos can be transmitted and converted into a 3D feed with almost no latency, using a converter like EMRLabs' Transporter3D, which can then be displayed on the upcoming Oculus Rift 1080p or Sony's Project Morpheus.

I use a HDR-AS100V while riding my bike in mixed terrain and share the multi-view videos of my rides with other bikers that want go on the same tracks.

It's an awesome camera and a perfect way to share rides (with speed, distance and times) but most of my friends ask me about how much climb and descent there is on the rides. 

I searched online and found out that the HDR-AS100V don't keep a record of the altitude in the video feed.

I would love to have an option to turn on altitude recording for my rides (even if it would cost some quality of the video itself). I'd think that people who are using the camera while sky diving or climbing would also appreatiate this feature.

Would it be possible to implement either an option to turn on altitude recording or make it record altitude all the time?

And for the multi-view videos make an option where you either show altitude or how much you've climbing/descending from your starting point?

Again, this camera is awesome and muti-view videos rocks! Man LOL

This is a feature I can't believe isn't already there in the wi-fi enabled e-mount cameras. Personally, I'd find this incredibly useful and use it on a daily basis.

What does it do?

The cameras should be able to transfer images and possibly video to an ftp server or SAMBA share over wi-fi.

It would be great if it could:

• Transfer to a specified main folder
  • Optionally create subfolders based on date and other data
  • Automatically detect what files has already been transferred to the specified server/share and just transfer images/videos taken since last transfer
  • Automatically transfer latest images/video when attached to a charger and detecting your home network
  • Optionally transfer to a specified Google Drive/DropBox/etc. account (this might be appropriate for a separate app)
  • Possibly be part of the "Send to Smartphone" function, which should thus be renamed to "Send to..."

I just heard that many of the non-native Sony lens (i.e., SIgma, Tamron, etc) are non working properly on the Sony A99II. How true is this? I'm a A99 owner who have really considered purchasing the Sony A99II; but am very concerned with this considering that I have several non-native lens.