Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Join the Inspiration

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Share Your Idea
0 Me Toos

Looks like Sony stock is tanking on news that it will post a $2 billion loss largely on smartphone woes. This has nothing to do with the smartphones themselves: spec for spec, Sony phones meet or exceed the phones of its competitors like Samsung, Nokia and HTC. In fact, Apple phones use Sony camera sensors, rebranded as iSight. And Sony phones are nearly always in the top 10 among android phones (the Xperia was #5 on Yahoo's list of top-searched smartphones) on well-regarded tech sites like TechRadar.

There are a few problems with Sony's approach, and some solutions:

1. Marketing: I have seen a Sony smartphone commercial exactly once, in Spring of 2013--and it was during the Sony Open tennis match. General (non-gadget fan) customers don't even know the Sony phone exists. Sony could have pushed the whole waterproofing thing, but Samsung beat it to the punch. That summer, Samsung came out with commercials about a waterproofed Galaxy S model. Even after that, this past summer, Sony should have come out with commercials touting the waterproofing of its smartphone--people are extremely protective of their precious phones, so a waterproofed phone would be an instant hit.

Even little HTC outdoes Sony in the US, and it doesn't have anywhere near the brand recognition that Sony does, built up over 60 years.

2. Carrier relationships: It's no secret that Samsung goes straight to carriers like Verizon and T-Mobile and says, What can we do for you? They do all they can to make the carrier happy.Now that Samsung's phones have captured 27% of the US market, the carriers are coming to Samsung.

Why doesn't Sony do this? Carriers would love to have a phone with a unique ecosystem like Playstation. This brings us to another point:

3.Make a Playstation-branded phone. No, not a 'Playstation Certified' joint, but an actual PLAYSTATION PHONE. Playstations are now outselling Xbox's by a nearly 2 to 1 margin. Leverage that brand name. It is so powerful, it has its own brand recognition. Sure, you'd only get a niche audience, but Sony's marketshare in the US is far less than "niche"--it's almost zero. As of now, Sony has sold about 12 million Playstation 4's. A small but significant number of those will want a Playstation phone. Having those customers will help expand the presence of Sony phones in the marketplace, which will help Sony sell other phones like the Xperia.

4. Playstation commercials should have a 'Sony' logo placed subtlely in the corner. I know Sony is trying to be subtle and discrete with its marketing (not that that ever worked-Samsung is using the opposite approach and is killing Sony), and that is why at the end of Playstation commercials, there is no Sony logo. But Sony can't miss the opportunity to push its name, especially since customer reception of the Playstation 4 has been so positive and Playstation commercials (unlike ads for other Sony products) are so ubiquitous.

It all comes down to marketing. Sony's products are arguably better than Samsung's in many if not most cases, but Samsung is blasting the airwaves--and is eating up everyone's lunch, including Sony's. If Sony doesn't do the same, it may have to leave the smartphone and tablet market just as it has already left the PC and TV market.

0 Me Toos

It would be great if Sony can add Dolby Atmos Support For STR-DA5800ES to make it current and the sound would certainly be awesome!

0 Me Toos

It is a company witch do not take care of his custormer's needs.

http://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-NEX-Cameras/Alpha-7-r-15-Feature-requests/m-p/277231

Join the inspiration ? What a JOKE !

0 Me Toos

Marine combo

by gatordude879 Rookie ‎09-09-2014 09:59 PM - edited ‎09-09-2014 10:08 PM

A 8inch  to 11 inch sun sheilded weather and water proof all in 1 HD fisherman's freind with a slimer and wireless design. So far after Neil Armstrong made his leap space steadily started taking a back seat to sea life. We realized that it didn't take a rocket ship to explore what we already have here and all around us. Your product gets shipped on water ways and every average fisherman looks for a big fish on the weekends. With the right tools taking the average Joe to a pro angler to brag at work the next week or keeping shipping informed of the best weather conditions or current events is as important. I believe sony's technologies could lead the world in this aspect. I fish professionally and never have enough info  we need so much and we also report to govt officials because of their lack of equipment. It needs HD DOWN IMAGING/SIDE IMAGING, WEATHER RADAR, 2WAY RAIDIO WITH NOAA,NFS IS A MUST FOR EASY TRANSFERABLE DATA FRONT/BACK CAMERA FOR ACTION SHOTS, CHART PLOTTING, WIFI AND BLUETOOTH.

0 Me Toos

New 3D Viewing

by BoomRoasted_35 Rookie ‎09-07-2014 07:50 PM
After reading articles about the pros and cons of 3D-viewing glasses and reading about the mostly theoretical "non-glasses" 3D TV, I thought of an idea. Why not make 3D contacts? They do it with prescription lenses, why not for 3D TV viewing. The contacts could be both prescription and 3D active. They would swap between normal viewing and 3D based on whether or not the TV detects them or they are connected to TV. Just an idea, I have no idea if it is actually possible, or if it would be worth it financially.
0 Me Toos

I was shocked to discover that it appears impossible to reset the Image file Nos. Having Multiple Sony Camera Bodies it would seem essential to avoid duplicating Image File numbers on the computer.

It's bad enough that 'Apple' make it so difficult to Batch Re-name when it was so straightforward with that awful Windows system!

Please Sony, you have taken into account the many criticisms/design faults of our past Nex models. You now have a serious top professional camera with the Alpha Range, now give it's users a few more "Software Updates" Smiley Happy

0 Me Toos

the sony a7s records records with video with the full horizontal pixel size of 4240 pixels, whereas 4k Video has 3840 pixel horizontally. This leads to interpolation of pixels and a huge loss of sharpness of the video.

It should be possible with the sony a7s to use 3840x2160 pixels of the sensor to record video ("1.1 crop"). In Full HD mode a 2x2 pixmap could be combined to one pixel on the video, in 4k it could be the native size.

The video quality should raise dramatically. The Sony RX10 does that way and cuts the edges from the sensor. This is probably the reason why video quality of the RX10 is so fantastically good. I think, the a7s should work the same way. The big advantage is the lack of need of interpolation between the pixels, the lack to scale the image.

Another advantage would be, that the image processor would have much less to process than before while recording video, resulting in longer lifetime of battery.

0 Me Toos

DSC RX10 firmware update

by Bob_Eisenberg Rookie ‎09-03-2014 06:49 PM

Dear Sir or Madam,

It really is a shame that all settings are lost with the firmware update.

These settings should all be readable digitally and then easy to save

on the computer doing the firmware update so they can be restored

automatically.

If the camera internal computer cannot handle resetting all the controls,

at least the values of the controls can be made available as a table

on the computer.