byThalinor05-22-201410:56 AM - edited 09-22-201405:35 PM
Update - See my post on page 2; as predicted Sony has abandoned the live view wrist remote per their warrantee department. Do not buy it as its no longer being made and if history shows us anything with Sony, no longer supported.
Note: Added Post below to reflect Firmware 2.0; Where instead of adding a simple USB driver so the camera could be seen as a video camera by a PC [and thus used by any camera/video software] they instead wasted countless man hours to make it a UStream exclusive with an overly complex setup that doesn't even work correcty. Unbelieviable.
1) This optical chip can support 4k and ~2.7k video with a firmware update. Go Pro has 4k.
2) The GPS doesn't log altitude. It can get altitude but it doesn't log it for playback.
3) The ability to stream over USB [Recording or to use as a WebCam]. You can't even transfer files over Wi-Fi via a PC only on the awful mobile app. You are limited to USB on the PC. PC Drivers could solve both of these problems.
4) Interval Photos are taken at a terrible TWO MEGAPIXEL instead of 13.5 mp which the regular photos are taken. Why? Its taking photos SLOWER with Interval, not quicker.
5) Go Pro's Hero line allows you to adjust settings like Spot Meter, White Balance, ISO, etc. Not Sony. This could easily be added with a firmware update if you bothered to support your product which now 6 months after release is still firmware 1.0; no surprise as my DSLR is six years old and still firmware 1.0 too with all the bugs it had at release unfixed. Again, Go Pro has these options.
6) Image sharpness on the HDR-AS100V needs work, and its not the lens or the chip which are both better than the Go Pro Hero line. Plenty of YouTube Videos show this issue vs the GoPro Hero 3+ Black.
7) Why can't I turn off wide angle? I can force it off using image stabilization but I can't turn it off unless I use image stabilization. There should be an option in settings, which can be added with a firmware update. Recording is much clearer with IS OFF, but the wide angle looks terrible.
8) Burst Photos? Nope, not on the Sony. Again your video chip supports it but its not included in the firmware. Go Pro has this option and up to 10 photos in 1 second. Go Pro has this option.
9) Continuous Photos? Nope. Could be added via a firmware update but its another option Go Pro has over Sony. Go Pro has this option.
10) Simultaneous Video and Photo? Nope. Could be added via firmware but it wont because Sony hates supporting its products. Go Pro has this option.
11) Looping Video, another standard feature on Go Pro's Hero Line, is useful when using the camera as a dashboard recorder. Sony has the ability to power the device via USB, even with the battery out [which is AMAZING] but falls short by not including looping video. Without the battery in the camera does not run as hot and if powered via USB it would make a great daskboard camera if only they would add looping video so you did not have to keep stopping and deleting recordings. Go Pro has this feature.
12) Raw format? Nope. Again, not something you need to update the hardware to fix you could add it to a firmware update. Your camera shoots raw and then compresses why can't I get raw output? Go Pro has this option.
13) Why Is GPS On/Off burred under three menus? With GPS On the camera drains battery so quickly you would think that option would be easy to get to instead you have to go through three different menus to get to these settings. Video Mode does NOT need to be in the main menu as that's not something people change often; why isn't that in the second menu and GPS in the first? I bet you if you took a poll more people turn GPS On and OFF then they do change video formats on a normal use basis.
14) Auto Off is 10 Seconds, 60 Seconds and that's it, no other option. 10 Seconds? Really? Go Pro was not dumb about it and has a smart setup 60 seconds, 120 seconds, and 360 seconds. Who the uses 10 seconds auto off?
15) Go Pro supports Firmware so much you can update your camera right from the mobile app. Sony doesn't even bother updating its firmware, never mind the convenience doing it from the mobile app. Go Pro has already updated the Hero 3+ Black several times making it better each update. Where is Sony updating its products. Never. Never Update a thing. I don't mean just one update, Go Pro updates regularly and cameras that are older too, not just new ones.
16) The GPS drains the battery really fast, as in 20 minutes sometimes less. Why not add a Power Savings mode setting under GPS options that gives the user the choice to have the GPS poll less often to save battery? Sure you would not have up to the second information, but hikers and climbers don't need up to the second information they need battery life.
17) Play Memories Mobile has awful connection and read times. It takes a full 15+ seconds to connect to the HDR-AS100V using a Nexus 7 2013 [Quad Core, 2 gb Ram). Once connected, it takes another 25+ seconds to display video. If you want to get into the menu to transfer videos its burred in "settings" and that takes another 20-30 seconds just to display whats on the camera. Transferring videos is lightning quick, even huge ones, so I know its NOT the camera's connection rather its the poorly written mobile app.
18) Play Memories Mobile CAN'T delete videos off this device, so if you want to delete videos you have to format the memory card deleting them all or delete them manually using a PC.
19) Play Memories Mobile CAN'T read (thus it can't copy over) XAVC S files no matter the size. I have a large file recorded in HQ which copied just fine but a small one recorded in XAVC S was not shows in Play Memories Mobile. XAVC S files don't even show up in the list of videos on the camera when using the mobile software.
20) Play Memories on the PC doesn't have a way to delete videos. Basically, the only real way to delete videos off this camera is to format the card. You can open it like a HD on a PC and go through the folders, but videos are shoved in an odd folder burred under several others, unlike photos which are in the DICM folder where they should be like on every other camera. Why does the camera not put photos in a top level folder called VIDEO. Why can't your Play Memories software [Both Mobile & PC] delete files off of the device?
21) There is no way to change the display to show minutes left on the SD card during recording, it only shows you how long you have been recording. Really? So I just have to guess how many minutes I have left that I can record before I run out of space? A firmware update could fix this.
22) Live View Remote RM-LVR1 does NOT display how many minutes of recording are left on the SD card! Do you actually use your products? Why does it not tell me how many minutes there are left worth of recording? You would think this would be a critical thing to display. If you want to find out how long you have left on the SD card you have to take off the camera which makes the live view remote that much more useless.
23) Live View Remote RM-LVR1 does NOT display the cameras battery level, only the remotes battery level. If you want to know the battery level of the camera you have to take it off, which defeats the purpose of the remote view in the first place!
24) On the watch only display screen [not live video], it should also show the cameras battery level and recording time left as well. This way, if you do not want to have the live view remote showing what you are recording [to save battery on the non-swappable remote view watch], you can still use it to show how much time you have left on the SD card and battery levels of both the remote AND the camera. For those of us who don't need to see exactly what we are recording [and again to save battery as you can't swap it out], we could still use the live view remote on the watch screen [saving battery] to alert us how long we have left before the SD card is full, how much battery is left,and that we are recording [via the red light].
Come on Sony, its really obnoxious you have such great hardware and such garbage firmware. I don't want a Go Pro or I would have bought one, but your garbage firmware/software ruins your cameras. Ever hear of brand loyalty Sony, because you are about to lose it.
I love the hardware for this camera but its firmware and your mobile app are awful. With any other company these would get updated but Sony refuses to support its' products. It's so frustrating looking at a superior product [over the Go Pro] knowing it will never reach its full potential because Sony is too lazy / greedy to fix any bugs and add new software features to existing products. Everything I have listed above can be added or fixed with a Software and firmware update, but it will never happen because Sony doesn't support its products and customers.
Go Pro is not leading the way in action cams because Sony has an inferior product, it's because Go Pro doesn't screw its customers by not supporting its products in fact, they regularly update their devices. Sony never updates anything, never mind regularly. Why sell a product you refuse to update? Greed.
Peolpe from Europe are reporting that 3rd Party lense such as Sigma and Tamron does function with the 399 Phase Detect af points on the A99ii. This is 3200 dollar camera that does not do what it was advertised. Please Sony Fix This!!!
Sony a7rII user here but this concerns all models.
Firmware update for EFCS to auto-disable past 1/2000 sec with any Sony camera (this would disable banding on most models)
Firmware update to make APS-C mode still and video independent e.g. have it enabled for video but disabled for still photographs
Firmware update to Split the focus screen so you can magnify focus & compose the shot at same time (useful for manual focus lenses) for all models e.g. have a small square in the centre of the frame 100% magnify
Firmware update to add "my menu" to all Sony cameras
Please upvote this. Sony gets criticised for not listening but not many people support each other.
We really need new firmware to solve this silly star eater phenomenon!!
I need it for my A7RII !!
How many requests and comments do you need to correct this matter? Sony broke my camera with a new firmware. Now the 4 sec exposure is enough for this phenomenon to come up. Before it was 30sec. That, too, was in vain.
Please offer alternative, at least. With new firmware!
In the "Time-lapse" app for PlayMemories the photo limit on the time-lapse is 990 photos. However, many of us want to take a lot more photos than that in our time-lapse. Can you give the option for an infinite number of photos for a time-lapse and we would just manually stop the time-lapse when we want it to stop taking photos?
It is very annoying that your PlayMeories Time-lapse app has a 990 photo limit instead of an infinity photo option.
I just heard that many of the non-native Sony lens (i.e., SIgma, Tamron, etc) are non working properly on the Sony A99II. How true is this? I'm a A99 owner who have really considered purchasing the Sony A99II; but am very concerned with this considering that I have several non-native lens.