Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Other Products

Emerging Star
wbltools
Accepted Solution

Sony DVR's need TV Guide On-screen data. Rovi will halt support of TVGOS service as of April 2013

The Sony DHG-HDD 250 and 500 Digital Video Recorders use the Rovi TV Guide On-screen (TVGOS) schedule and time signal data provided over digital broadcast signals by local TV stations. 

Rovi has announced that it will halt support of its TV Guide OnScreen service as of April 13th, 2013. The service provides an on-air listing service as part of a local TV channel's over-the-air signal. Rovi has asked the channels who provide the data streams to remove the data inserters and return them by the deadline.

The consequence of this decision is that consumers who own older DVR's such as Sony HDD 250 and 500 Digital Video Recorders now own equipment that won't function without the stream of listing information and the clockset signal.

Does Sony have a solution for owners of the Digital Video Recorders?  Is is possible to obtain programming data from internet sources and input to the DVR via the USB port?

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
mikr

Re: Sony DVR's need TV Guide On-screen data. Rovi will halt support of TVGOS service as of April 201

We have SIX (6) DHG-HDD500 units, which are now just expensive paperweights!   I've researching the DVR, TVGOS, internet, and contacted the local PBS station (which just removed / returned the Rovi equipment that broadcasts the TV Guide on Screen - TVGOS).  I’m listing 4 possible ways to get the TVGOS and & clock back:

a)      Sony should make and sell us a device to connect to the USB port on the back of the unit for wired / wirelessly connecting to the internet to get to get TVGOS (available via the internet).   For example, Roku now sells a “Roku Stick” that plugs into the USB port of TVs.  The Roku Stick wirelessly lets the TV get all Roku content (no Roku box needed)!

b)      I just e-mailed the Engineering Manager at the local PBS station.  Rovi told him to return the TVGOS broadcasting equipment.  He said he heard that another company was looking at broadcasting TVGOS (if he knew what company, he didn’t say).  Sony should use its corporate influence to get this other company to get / install the TVGOS equipment.

c)       Sony could buy the TVGOS equipment for installation at PBS stations and use the large box in the lower left part of the TVGOS screen for advertising.  Sony could then earn advertising $$$ from TVGOS and likely make it a money-maker!

d)      Sony could do a software update (available for download from Sony) to enable getting a clock signal from another source. That way, with accurate time, we could do manual recordings.

Others- Please push these / other ideas to solve the problem!   Sony did a great job in May 2009 with a software update for getting TVGOS from digital signals, so hopefully they will come through on this!

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ShaunH

Re: Sony DVR's need TV Guide On-screen data. Rovi will halt support of TVGOS service as of April 201

Hello,
Welcome to the Sony Community.

Please refer to the following Knowledge Base article pertaining to Rovi TV Guide:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C1032343

Unfortunately, as the two DVR units are not Internet update capable, it is not possible to receive TV Guide On Screen updates through Internet connection. Also, the programming data from other Internet sources cannot be input to the DVR via USB connection.

Thank you for your post.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
wbltools

The supplied link states: "Once the broadcast transmission ends in a location, the TV Guide On Screen service will only be available to devices that are Internet update capable, and are connected to an active network connection."

There is no mention of cable TV sources for the TVGOS service. Will the TVGOS program guide service be available via a cable TV service provider using the CableCARD interface of the DHG-HDD250? 

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
mikr

I also have a Toshiba DVR, model # RD-XS54SU.  This DVR too has TV Guide On Screen (which also no longer works), but it DOES allow the clock to be manually set.  Thus, I CAN manually record shows.  If Toshiba can program their DVRs for a manual clock setting, why cannot Sony with their DHG-HDD250/500 DVRs?

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
kwdavids

I have a Brava KDL 46VL160. The manual mentions the word "Internet" once and there is an network connector. Can I get TV Guide ON Screen this way?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ErikV

[ Edited ]

Hi kwdavids,

You can connect Ethernet LAN cable to LAN port of the KDL46VL160 TV for connecting it to Internet and can access TV guide on-screen listings.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accepted Solution".

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
lolranger

ErikV

I have a KDL46XBR6 and I have just connected a wireless bridge to my home WiFi signal to the Bravia LAN port. But, when I go to TV guide set up, it only gives me the two options of sources as "antenna" or "cable box". I downloaded the latest TV software update a couple of weeks ago for this model, software version (HO-F-QN-B-CR) sony_dtv_package206r.p08.  How do I get the TV to download the TV guide signal through the LAN port?  Seems like Sony should (and I know there has been little time to do this so far, since the Rovi abandonment of consumers) create a software patch to update the TV Guide software in the TV to add the internet source option through the LAN port? Thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
washerebefore

Re: Sony DVR's need TV Guide On-screen data. Rovi ends support of TVGOS service as of April 2013

Mine Stopped putting up the Guide for a couple of months now. 

Sony DHG-HDD500 and A Sony  Dash HID-C10 - both items seam to not get any real support from Sony to keep these items working..we need to know Sony cares about there customers..Give us a number to call or a department that will fix these items so they are usable again.

Please.

What can we do?

And what is sony doing about it?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
BuckBur

Re: Sony DVR's need TV Guide On-screen data. Rovi ends support of TVGOS service as of April 2013

Sony essentially reiterated "too bad" again

Please use plain text.