Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Other Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apprentice
Message 1 of 5 (431 Views)

Sony XAV-AX100 car stereo: repeatable backup camera glitch (rear video on startup; rear video when shifting out of reverse)

I just installed the Sony XAV-AX100 AV Receiver into my vehicle this past week - I have encountered a problem that is very similar to the one experienced by user k1s on 4/27/2017: https://community.sony.com/t5/Other-Products/XAV-AX100-reverse-camera-always-on-at-startup/td-p/6288...

Basically, the rear camera turns on immediately upon vehicle/stereo startup after specific and repeatable steps. Although performing a factory reset temporarily solves the problem - while wiping all of the customized settings on the XAV-AX100 - I can get the same glitch to happen again by using the touchscreen Rear Camera option.

My backup camera is powered by the red 12 volt accessory output from the wiring harness. It is grounded to the negative reverse light (-) in the rear of the vehicle. The purple/white reverse-in cable on the back of the XAV-AX100 loom is wired to the positive reverse light (+) as a trigger; when I shift the vehicle into reverse, the video feed correctly shows the rear view image (with the parking lines of the XAV-AX100 unit displayed as well). Since the camera is always getting power when the vehicle is on, the Rear Camera option on the touchscreen lets me see the view from behind without parking gridlines (exactly what I want for towing purposes).

When I move the shifter out of the reverse gear into neutral - or any other of the six gears on the manual transmission - the main menu is displayed. At this point, everything works properly; however, the next action always leads to the same camera glitch.

In order to get the glitch to occur, I simply touch the Rear Camera button on the touchscreen of the XAV-AX100 unit. The camera feed will display the image of what's behind the vehicle without parking grid lines. I can then hit the Home button on the face of the head unit to return to the main menu. So far, so good...

Now whenever I shift into reverse to display the backup camera feed (with the XAV-AX100 parking gridlines), it continues to work... at first. When I disengage the vehicle from reverse anytime after using the Rear Camera touchscreen option, the camera shows the rear video feed without the XAV-AX100 parking gridlines. Also, if I turn the vehicle on again after being turned off, the rear video feed without the XAV-AX100 parking guidelines will immediately appear on screen upon startup.

As JoffreyS suggested to k1s, performing a factory reset seems to solve the issue... but only temporarily. Any time the Rear Camera touchscreen button is used though, the same problem of the rear video feed showing up on startup and after shifting out of reverse ALWAYS occurs.

I tried checking the Sony XAV-AX100 support page for a firmware update in case there was a software fix for ...; unfortunately, the version 1.02.06 posted on 4/25/2017 appears to have been removed from the site. The following message is displayed instead of a download link to the firmware: "IMPORTANT: This update is temporarily unavalable. Please check back later."

Hopefully the firmware, once made available again, will address this rear camera glitch... if not, does anyone have any suggestions for addressing this issue? I already checked my wiring on two occassions, cutting and resoldering all connections in case there was a wiring problem... but I can say with almost complete certainty that there is not...

Highlighted
k1s Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 5 (404 Views)

Re: Sony XAV-AX100 car stereo: repeatable backup camera glitch (rear video on startup; rear video when shifting out of revers

I have the 1.02.06 firmware installed, but it didn't make any difference.

I tried connecting the reverse (purple) cable to both the ground/earth and the positive from the reverse light switch at the gear stick.  

Again, doesn't make any difference.

Apprentice
Message 3 of 5 (395 Views)

Re: Sony XAV-AX100 car stereo: repeatable backup camera glitch (rear video on startup; rear video when shifting out of revers

Ok, thanks for the info - I appreciate the feedback.

I've got some more info to add too. Before I added the wiring for the positive trigger to the reverse light (purple/white wire), I had just the power, ground, and RCA hooked up for the camera. The camera power was wired to the red switched/ignition, the ground was done through a bolt into the body of the vehicle, and the yellow RCA was connect to the camera in jack on the back of the XAV-AX100.

In this configuration, obviously, the camera did not activate when I put the vehicle in reverse. However, I could touch the Rear Camera button on the touchscreen to display the behind-the-vehicle image on command. Since the camera was getting power whenever the vehicle was on, I figured it was good way to test everything was in working order before adding the reverse trigger wiring.

It did not occur to me until after writing up my post yesterday that the same Rear Camera glitch was happening whenever I turned on my car - even when I had the more simple wiring on the camera. I had tried touching the Rear Camera button on the touchscreen to confirm everything worked; from that point forward, the rear image (without backup lines) always displayed as soon as I turned the vehicle on. The took place over a couple days... until I performed a factory reset on the XAV-AX100 and later added the additional reverse light trigger wiring.

This confirms my belief that the issue is caused by a software problem with the XAV-AX100.

k1s Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 5 (393 Views)

That's exactly what I did too, with the same outcome.  I raised a support ticket with Sony who said I had to send it to an "approved repair company" here in the UK called SBE, but I haven't done so because I have prevous experience of them - they hold your device (usually a phone) ransome for a large return delivery fee if they can't find or fix the problem, and I don't have any confidence they'll actually bother to hook it up to a car to test it.

Apprentice
Message 5 of 5 (318 Views)

Sorry to hear that... but thank you for checking.

As another update, sometime in the past day or so I realized that firmware version 1.02.06 was posted once again to the support page for the XAV-AX100. After updating the firmware, the backup camera glitch still occurs...

So still no contact, let alone acknowledgement or resolution, from Sony.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook