Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 2 (1,181 Views)
Accepted Solution

Update for Media Go fails because of missing NAS drive

I am trying to update to the latest version of Media Go. Since my last use of Media Go, I have removed a failed NAS network drive ('M:' drive on my Win7 PC). Almost as soon as the installation starts, I get the error message:

'There was an error during the installation. Invalid Drive: M:\ Would you like to provide additional information'

I have also noticed that I get three error messages at the bottom of the Media Go application (v 3.1 build 343):

The 'Videos' special folder could not be accessed (M:\My Videos). Some features may not work correctly.    Time: 13/10/2017 01:31:56    Code: 0x8004e006

The 'Pictures' special folder could not be accessed (M:\My Pictures). Some features may not work correctly.    Time: 13/10/2017 01:31:56    Code: 0x8004e006

The 'Documents' special folder could not be accessed (MSmiley Happy. Some features may not work correctly.    Time: 13/10/2017 01:31:56    Code: 0x8004e006

I have removed any references to M: drive that I can find in the library and I have changed all my default folder locations to make sure M:\ drive is no longer referenced. I have searched the registry for any reference to M:\ drive and 'Media Go' but have found none. I have also tried temporarily deleting any of the preference files in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Sony\Media Go (e.g. 'prefs.xml') then tried the install. Nothing seems to work. Media Go has the M:\ drive in it's records somewhere, won't let it go and when it can't find it, the install won't proceed.

To add to the frustration, the same drive issue is stopping me from removing Media Go and trying a fresh install. Windows uninstall gives the same 'There was an error during the installation. Invalid Drive: M:\ ' error and the program can't be uninstalled.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks, Andy.

Rookie
Message 2 of 2 (1,114 Views)

Re: Update for Media Go fails because of missing NAS drive

Ok, fixed it myself.

I plugged in an external drive to perform a backup and noticed it picked up the 'M:/' drive letter and path. There was nothing to do with Media Go on there, except, I noticed that Windows had added a 'My Pictures' and 'My Videos' to the drive. Windows must still have an association with M: drive somewhere in the registry, even though I'd moved those folders to another drive ages ago.

Anyway, seeing the M: drive letter I decided to try the update and sure enough, it worked. I'll continue to see if there are any 'hidden' associations to the missing M: drive in Media Go though I'm sure there aren't. Maybe Windows still sees M: drive as the location for pictures and videos, even though I moved them. Probably one of the many mysteries of Windows registry.

Anyway, all fixed and hope my hassles help someone.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook