Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 10 (18,377 Views)
Accepted Solution

Write protected pen drive

Recently, I bought a sony 3d led. I got an 8gb pen drive free with it. It was pre-loaded with MIB 3D movie.
I want to format this pen drive so I can use it for other purposes. However, when I format it, it gives an error - "This disk is write-protected."
Please help me in removing this write protection from this pen drive.
Expert
Message 2 of 10 (18,351 Views)

Re: Write protected pen drive

Hi vipsolan,

Let us the know the model # of the Pendrive you're using.

Insert the Pen drive in the computer, right click and select format. Try changing the file format such as NTFS or FAT and check if is working.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 10 (18,344 Views)

Hi Tony,

I have tried formatting it in every available format. I am always getting the same error.

I am not sure about the model # of the pen drive. By looking at the pen drive models available on Sony Website (sony.co.in), it could be USM8GR Micro Vault Classic.
Expert
Message 4 of 10 (18,330 Views)

Hi vipsolan,

Follow below steps to remove write protection:

Open Start Menu > Run, type regedit and press Enter. This will open the registry editor.

Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

Double click the key "WriteProtect" in the right pane and set the value to 0.

In the Data Value Box, press OK.

Exit Registry, restart your computer and then re-connect your USB pen drive to your computer.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 10 (18,324 Views)

Hi TonyM,

I plugged in my pen drive and tried this method.

In Registry, there is no "StorageDevicePolicies" under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control"

I am using Windows 8.
Rookie
Message 6 of 10 (18,134 Views)

I also have the same problem as you. 

I got sony 8 gb pen drive (USM8GR) along with the bravia 3d led tv but it is write protected.

Have you found the solution yet ?

Please help.

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 10 (18,123 Views)

No Solution Yet.

Even the Sony Service Center guys ar unable to solve this problem.I've tried a lot of stuff from internet to solve this problem and now, I've given up hope of getting a solution.

Sales guy from Sony says to me, "Our aim was to provide you with a 3D movie, not a pen drive.".

My advice, throw this sony pen drive in trash. Thats where it belongs. Very Poor Service.

Rookie
Message 8 of 10 (18,073 Views)

Hi friend,

Recently I bought a sony 3d led TV( they charged "One lach ninteen thousand") and they greatly offferd me an 8gb pen drive free with MIB 3D movie.And Im trying to format it in almost all ways but still its showing "Write Protected"..If u gt any solution plz post here.

Whats the use of this "Cheap Thinked and Useless offer" to a customer? 

Rookie
Message 9 of 10 (10,154 Views)

Hi,

I don't see any solution here and I'm facing the same issue. However the difference is that I bought my 64 GB flash drive from Kingstone to use it for movie recording in Sony 3D LED TV. So I have formated the drive in TV as required and it was working for some time. Suddenly it got rejected for no obvious reason by TV so I decided to use it again as flash disc. 

I'm facing the same issue while plugging to Windows PC (tried more Windows versions already - 7, 8 and 10) that the drive is write protected. So tried many guides described on the internet already, but still the issue persists. Using regedit command doesn't work as the particular registry is missing as already mentioned here.

So is there any way to fix this or I can just throw it in trash?

Thanks,

Ondrej

Rookie
Message 10 of 10 (634 Views)

Thanks for the info, it helped me

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook