Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Other Products

Tuning Up
Whitney_TX

DHG-HDD500

I too have a DHG-HDD500 and am really annoyed and frustrated by the recent developments.  My device retailed for almost $1000, it still performs fine and it's about to become a boat anchor because of Sony's and Rovi's actions.  Okay, I don't have an implied contract with Rovi, but I think Sony owes its loyal users at least one more firmware update!

All I really want is a way to set the clock!

When I first got the unit I was surprised/concerned that I couldn't set the clock but after a short time TVGOS took care of it.  Then when the unit would reset, it was frustrating waiting for the clock to come back, but it always did.  But, now what???  If I could set the clock at least I could go back to the 80s technology and set up recordings at certain dates and times but without that, once my unit resets, I'm cooked. 

I wonder if the threat of a class action suit might help pursuade Sony to help us out.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
Muchnle

Re: DHG-HDD500

I own 3 of these units.  I'm also an attorney.  Litigation is never the best way to settle things, but sometimes it's the only way.  If you're really feeling as though you're left with no options be proactive and go to your local courthouse and grab the forms you need to file a small claims case.  

My hope, personally, is that Sony will ultimately be responsive to the 1000's of DHG owners out there who don't want to be adversarial; all they want is for the units they spent good money for to continue to function as intended.

I personally spent many hours attempting to escalate the issue up the chain at Sony but don't believe as yet management feels sufficiently motivated to take action.  That will only occur if folks like you and I do.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
davbrown2

Hi -

I am another customer who loves the DHG-HDD250, and hoping that Sony will stand by their equipment and issue a firmware fix that will at least allow a manual clock setting so we can continue to use these units for timed recordings.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
mikr

We have SIX (6) DHG-HDD500 units, which are now just expensive paperweights!   I've researching the DVR, TVGOS, internet, and contacted the local PBS station (which just removed / returned the Rovi equipment that broadcasts the TV Guide on Screen - TVGOS).  I’m listing 4 possible ways to get the TVGOS and & clock back:

a)      Sony should make and sell us a device to connect to the USB port on the back of the unit for wired / wirelessly connecting to the internet to get to get TVGOS (available via the internet).   For example, Roku now sells a “Roku Stick” that plugs into the USB port of TVs.  The Roku Stick wirelessly lets the TV get all Roku content (no Roku box needed)!

b)      I just e-mailed the Engineering Manager at the local PBS station.  Rovi told him to return the TVGOS broadcasting equipment.  He said he heard that another company was looking at broadcasting TVGOS (if he knew what company, he didn’t say).  Sony should use its corporate influence to get this other company to get / install the TVGOS equipment.

c)       Sony could buy the TVGOS equipment for installation at PBS stations and use the large box in the lower left part of the TVGOS screen for advertising.  Sony could then earn advertising $$$ from TVGOS and likely make it a money-maker!

d)      Sony could do a software update (available for download from Sony) to enable getting a clock signal from another source. That way, with accurate time, we could do manual recordings.

Others- Please push these / other ideas to solve the problem!   Sony did a great job in May 2009 with a software update for getting TVGOS from digital signals, so hopefully they will come through on this!

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
ss-stingray

Re: dhg-hdd250/dhg-hdd500 Sony DVR's

I own 2 DHG-250's and like everybody paid a ton of cash for these. NEVER would I think there was an expiration date of when these would not work. Sony should make an internet dongle that will allow the guide to be downlaoded. At the very least a software upgrade to allow the owners to set a clock. As you can tell many owners really love these and it is sad that Sony hasn't issued a statement on plans to help us out. IF Sony does nothing then I will NEVER by a SONY product again.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
mikr

I also have a Toshiba DVR, # RD-XS54SU, with TV Guide On Screen (TVGOS also no longer works).  However, the Toshiba DOES allow manually setting the current date and time, which I have done (so I can use it to do manual recordings).  At the very least, Sony should do a software update to also allow this! 

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
aretino

Time and basic program info is broadcast and can be received by any Radio Shack converter box. That Sony chose to make its device unable to utilize this info and completely dependent on a proprietary third-party service can not have just been an oversight, but a deliberate decision. So I am not inclined to entertain any notion that it is just Rovi's fault.

Incidentally, in 2009 they had me ship my 500 to Texas for a $150 hd transplant. Until today, I had no idea that that USB port could actually be used for anything. Since it can, not issuing a software fix is really inexcusable.

Please use plain text.
Garage Band
ACSWIRELESS

[ Edited ]

We have two main problems:

1. Sony didn't engineer a "Date & Clock" system into their software because it was going to be provided by GemStar (now Rovi) as part of the TV Guide data system. It would be nice to see Sony step up and add this function, but lack of Rovi service is the main problem.

2. The biggest problem is that Rovi obtained the TV Guide system from GemStar to add to their product line & now doesn't want support hundreds of thousands of customers that paid high dollar for DVR's & TV's that will not do as it they were manufactured without the GUIDE.

Our units came with "lifetime" TV Guide service, the life of our DVR's are ending not because they died from natural causes, but because they are being suffocated by Rovi. It's time to find out Rovi's liability, Rovi made the decision to takeover/purchase the TVGOS system & Rovi made the decided to make our units worthless.

I feel that Rovi has stolen money from us, and it's time to find out our legal position.

I will be contacting a legal firm on Monday to see where we stand.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
mikr

Sony Forum Moderator – Please forward this to the Sony corporate: legal / customer relations / officers:

1. Sony’s legal department needs to read Sony’s contract with Rovi / Gemstar on supplying TVGOS, as Rovi / Gemstar may be contractually bound to Sony to provide TVGOS for Sony’s products.
  2. As seen in the ever-growing blogs on the loss of TVGOS, Sony is angering a LOT of customers who own and buy Sony products, and not just we Sony customers with the TVGOS issue.   Many of us have spent thousands of $$$ for several of these DGH-HDD 250/500 units, plus other Sony electronics, and if Sony doesn’t resolve the issue, I and many others won’t be buying from Sony anymore.  However, if Sony DOES fix this problem, the goodwill it generates will translate into a LOT of future sales to us very-satisfied customers (i.e., Sony customers for life)!

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
aretino

I find it hard to believe that no Sony engineer, during the development of these products ever asked his colleagues, "Say, guys, what happens if the guide service goes down, or even, gods forbid!, goes out of business. Shouldn't we make the unit able to use the time information and the EPG broadcast by the stations? Huh, guys?"

Please use plain text.