Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Reader - Electronic Reader

New Contributor
Alden
Accepted Solution

Battery Won't Charge on PRS-600

Hi all, I received a PRS-600 (refurbished) from woot.com a week or two ago, and unfortunately it will not charge.

Here is what I've tried so far:
- plugged the reader into a laptop USB, with two different cables (overnight). The laptop didn't see the USB being used, and the reader remained blank, with no charging light.
- plugged the reader into an AC->USB adapter, and left it there overnight. The reader detected that a USB was plugged in, but it didn't keep a charge.
- plugged the reader into a PSP adapter, and left it there overnight. The reader could be turned on and used, and there was a lightning bolt by the (empty) battery symbol at the bottom left, and no charging light. When I unplugged the PSP adapter, there was no charge and the reader could not be turned on.
- plugged the reader into a PSP adapter AND a laptop USB at the same time (and overnight). The laptop detected and could interact with the reader (I put a book on it), and the reader said that a USB was connected. There was a lightning bolt symbol too, but when I unplugged the PSP adapter, the laptop thought that the reader was unplugged. The reader couldn't be turned on after the PSP adapter was removed.

If anyone knows of any other solution that might work that I might have tried, please let me know! Or will I have to send it to Sony to repair?
Please use plain text.
USER-931863

Re: Battery Won't Charge on PRS-600

Alden -
I too have had power problems with my PRS-600. I have found that resetting the reader usually helps. You won't lose any books or the page you are currently reading.
Good Luck - The Mole
Please use plain text.
donwas

Resetting is only a temp fix because it will happen again when you least expect it. I also purchased a refurbished PRS-600 which had a slightly different problem. The screen would freeze. I reset it and it was back to normal. After about a month the locking up became more frequent until it wouldn't reset any longer. I filled out a repair/replacement form online and sent it back to Sony. About 21 days later I had a replacement sent back to me. The reader was dead when it arrived so I plugged it in the charger. The red light is on when it's charging and goes out when it's 100%. After 24hours you would think that it would be charged (not). Had to push the reset button and put it back on to charge for an additional 4 hours. Kept saying no battery present. You would think that Sony would check the reader out fully before sending it out to a customer. I don't believe that they do. The replacement reader has more issues then then my first purchase. The battery won't hold a charge. The on-off switch has a problem. Sometimes it turns on some times it doesn't. Granted you may be able to reset the unit and it will work for a short time. But the problem gets worse until it won't take the charge and then eventually you have a dead unit. You can always send an e-mail to Sony. I've sent several and have yet to get a response back. Or you can fill out another repair/replacement form and take yet another chance on a dead unit. To send this one back Sony wants $29.95 up front for parts. It states that there may be additional charges. Is it worth the aggravation? Up until now I thought highly of Sony Products. This tends to change my way of thinking. I hope that you have better luck then I had.
Please use plain text.
USER-940755

I have a PRS-600 which is helping to keep me sane as I live in South Korea with no access to English books. To my horror when I went to charge my e-reader just now it refused to do anything. It said on the screen 'USB connected' but it was not communicating with my PC. I tried a different PC still with no luck. Tried a different USB cable - no luck. In sheer desperation I turned to this web site and read the comments. I saw where someone said to use the reset button so with trembling fingers I found the reset button and tried to use a paper clip to make it work. To my absolute delight when I tried reconnecting it I had success and the PC acknowledged that there was something attached to the USB cable. It showed on the screen of the e-reader that it was charging just for a minute or so but now it has stopped doing it. I am in a state of sheer panic. What else can I do? The reader is not even one year old. Help!!!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-938802

After purchasing 4 different AC-USB adapters, I finally called Sony. The reader appeared to be charging, but wasn't. Low and behold, they told me that you cannot charge the PRS-600 with an AC-USB adapter. The USB charging can only be done from a computer. To charge the computer from the wall, you need to purchase an adapter that plugs into the little yellow hole at the bottom of the reader. ALso, I seem to recall reading that you cannot charge from a laptop that's plugged into the wall or in sleep mode.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Alden

Thanks for the replies. I've tried the reset button but unfortunately that didn't seem to do anything, either. I think that based on what you've said, I'll probably try to mail it in (I have 90 days warranty) and hope for a fully functional unit.
Please use plain text.