Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 19 (1,984 Views)

Apps missing from App menu bar after PKG3.865.0135NAB update on XBR-65X930D

[ Edited ]

I just performed the latest software update (PKG3.865.0135NAB) for my XBR-65X930D today. After the update was successful, I have noticed that the "Apps" menu bar (not the "Featured Apps" menu bar) contains only Google apps (music, play store, movies, etc) but none of the apps that I normally use, such as Amazon Video, Netflix, Vudu, etc.

These apps I mentioned ARE in the "Featured Apps" menu bar, but they are scattered about and do not sort on recency like the "Apps" menu bar did in previous version.

I thought maybe that this was due to the update process, so I performed a factory reset, which did not help. Once I re-installed apps and registered, they STILL do not appear in the "Apps" menu bar.

Does anyone else see this behavior with this TV model / FW version? Has anyone figured out how to add apps back to the Apps menu bar so that they are sortable?

Thanks,

Andy

Super Contributor
Message 2 of 19 (1,976 Views)

Re: App menu missing after update on XBR-65X930D

Try this, discovered by another owner and worked for other users w/the same issue: 

"I was able to get my Android menus back on both sets by using the Help button on the remote and then accessing "System Apps" through "Troubleshooting". I finally found in the apps section I needed to clear the data on 'System Software Update".

Steps: 

1.  Press the "Help" button on the remote

2,  Select the "Troubleshooting" option

3.  Select "Settings" from the list of options on the left side of the screen

4.  Select "Configuring the TV"

5.  Select "[TV]"

6.  Select "Jump to the Settings screen"

7.  Scroll to the right and select "Apps"

8.  Scroll down to the "System apps" row

9.  Find "System Software Update" in the app list (it's alphabetical)

10. Select that app

11. Choose the option to "Clear data" and confirm

That should do it. You might need to reboot the TV after clearing data on that app, the person who shared this didn't specify. 

2015 X850C FAQ for Setup, Picture settings, 3D, HDR, DirecTV 4K, and Troubleshooting.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7usku0ykglp4cc7/2015-Sony-X850C-Picture%20Settings-v6.xlsx?dl=0
Apprentice
Message 3 of 19 (1,969 Views)

Re: App menu missing after update on XBR-65X930D

Hi @Danabw,

I tried your solution, but it was not successful. I suspected as much because, as I mentioned in my original post, I had already performed a factory reset, which would accomplish the same goal, albeit in a much more destructive fashion.

Apprentice
Message 4 of 19 (1,906 Views)

Re: Apps missing from App menu bar after PKG3.865.0135NAB update on XBR-65X930D

More info: I started a chat with Sony Support, and was told that the "Featured Apps" menu *should* auto-sort over time, to which I promptly called BS. It has NEVER auto-sorted, before or after the update, no matter how many times I launch an app. I don't even WANT the "Featured Apps" menu; it's full of apps I do not want to see or use.

Sony Devs, if you are reading this: please consider looking into this issue. I would be happy to demonstrate it on my TV.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 19 (1,831 Views)

Yes, I also have the same issue as well once I did the update. Sony devs, please look into this.
Apprentice
Message 6 of 19 (1,627 Views)

Just as suspected; after 2 weeks of heavy usage, the "Featured Apps" menu has yet to sort anything. Although now I have 3 copies of "Sony Select" App showing. I guess they are REALLY pushing me to add more apps...

I would still like to see a response from Sony Support on this request, seeing as how I'm not the only affected customer of a VERY expensive television set.
Message 7 of 19 (1,609 Views)

Hi, Sony Community! 

Welcome and thank you for your messages. 

If you tried all You may follow these suggestions instead: 

• Using the supplied remote control, press HOME > Settings > Apps > then “Clear data” on the following apps: Sony Select and SonyShelf

• Restart the TV by holding the power button located at the back of the TV. 

Regards,

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Apprentice
Message 8 of 19 (1,544 Views)

Hi @VincentM,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried your suggested workaround and it was unsuccessful.

As I said in my original post, this issue arrived immediately following the update to Android TV 6.0 and has persisted even after a factory reset of the TV OS, so I believe this to be an issue with the firmware itself introduced by Sony. I don't see any amount of clearing app data being able to resolve it until Sony development team addresses it directly.

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 19 (1,440 Views)

I have the same exact issue.  Multiple apps disappear and the only apps that can seem to be added to the "Apps" on homescreen section seem to be default Sony / Android apps that I don't use except for Youtube and Google Play Store.  Really poor update and is wasting my time having to search for the apps manually now.

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 19 (1,437 Views)

Spent an hour with customer support on phone and no solution either.  In addition, if the option is to use the "featured apps" section vs "apps" section, why is that not customizable?  

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook