Welcome to the Community!

Television - Apps & Widgets

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 109 (133,314 Views)

Bravia - Netflix occasionally kicks me back to tv when starting movie or show

This issue is separate from the Sony servers going down issue so many others and I experience frequently (oh boy...more issues! The TV itself is amazing...why is their network infrastructure such a mess?).

Bravia KDL60W610B

Occasionally when I attempt to start a show or a program while on Netflix (either from the beginning or continuing where I left off) the program will start, play for about one second, then kick me out of the Netflix app and I'm back on TV. Starting Netflix back up again and retrying usually gets the program to play, but it's a pain and seems to be happening more than it used to.

I've only had this TV since November. SInce I got it Sony network goes down all the time. EVERY time they go down I can boot up my Xbox or other streaming capable devices and stream through there just fine, and this happens every few days or so lately but has happened on and off since I owned the TV. Now lately this issue where we keep getting kicked back to TV when attempting to start a show or a movie.

What the heck is going on with Sony and their infrastructure that I keep getting Netflix problems but I DO NOT with any other streaming device?

SONY REPS: I've seen many threads where you reply with "check yoru connections, speed, reset factory settings, etc", DO NOT SUGGEST ANY OF THIS! It will not fix anything. This is a SONY NETWORK issue. I have a solid 20MG connection that always tests solid, I do NOT overload my router, everything else always worsk fine during these Sony outages, it isn't my factory settings, none of it. So don't even attempt to assuage me like you have others, I see that you fail at real support and often give these cookie cutter answers regardless of the details people give you in these threads.

Message 2 of 109 (133,213 Views)

Re: Bravia - Netflix occasionally kicks me back to tv when starting movie or show

Hi insaniac,

Welcome to the Sony Community! 

Please check this artilce for further information and troubleshooting steps with regard to your concern. 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 109 (132,751 Views)

Re: Bravia - Netflix occasionally kicks me back to tv when starting movie or show

[ Edited ]

This happens to me NON STOP and has happened ever since I got my Bravia in 2009. It also resets the date and time back to factory default. I've never been able to use the sleep timer due to this.

If I'd known what I know now, I'd have NEVER bought a Sony. Even on the Google Servers, this happens over and over.

I strongly suspect that Netflix and Sony are constantly at war with one another......... I'm not saying Netflix doesn't have a part in this. BUT - the crashing DateTime is NASTY and I blame SONY for that one. Netflix will NEVER WORK when I have the correct date/time. It crashes over and over. I HATE SONY due to this TV, and I've been a SONY fan for YEARS.

NOTHING works. Factory reset, updating firmware, bla.......... it's all bogus. Someone at Sony and/or at Netflix knows WHY this is happening, but they're more interested in spitting on each other than actually trying to cooperate.

And no, I'm not spending a fortune to have this taken to the shop; it's way out of warranty. It came this way. I've read too many complaints to spend my retirement check fixing a TV that's simply going to break again.

Rookie
Message 4 of 109 (131,780 Views)

Did you ever get an answer to this? Mine does this too.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 109 (129,646 Views)

I just hung up with the Sony rep regarding the same problem on my tv KDL-65W850A. In my case, I found out that this happens when CC is turned on for the title. If I turn off CC, netflix plays fine. I also found that some titles seem to play fine with CC as well.

The sony rep's answer was to reset to factory settings (so, I lost all my app and tv settings).

This operation took 15 minutes, but it did solve the problem.

The sony rep's explanation was that the appllication cleared its cache and that caused the problem to go away. The rep also mentioned that a fix will be downloaded "soon". Could not give a timeline, neither could they send me a transcript of the chat.

I also need to talk to Netflix about it, but I wanted to add to this thread first.

I have been a Sony fan forever, but I am having second thoughts now.

Rookie
Message 6 of 109 (127,689 Views)

I've been having issues with this for a long time as well. I just read your post saying to turn off the closed captioning. I turned it off and the movie played fine. Thanks for letting us know about that. It will at least do the trick until Sony updates the current version.
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 109 (127,625 Views)

I had this issue in the last few weeks until today.  Sony had asked me to jump through hoops and escalated to upper support level twice, but they eventually resolved the issue.

In essence, you'll need to disconnect all Netflix devices on your Netflix account settings page.  For this, you'll need to log onto your Netflix account, and look for the option to kick all your Netflix devices out of Netflix.  Please ensure that none of your Netflix devices is connected (i.e., log off the account or turn OFF the device), except for your laptop, which you need to effect the disconnection routine.

To ensure that the issue is not caused by other reasons, reboot your Internet modem and your WIFI router (if applicable).  

Rookie
Message 8 of 109 (126,815 Views)

I've been getting the same thing happen all the time. It started to get so bad, that I decided to go down the shops and get a Chromecast. I really want to watch Netflix on my big screen tv, and this seems to be the only solution because of the problems with the Netflix app on the tv. 

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 109 (126,782 Views)

Have you tried my suggestion to remove all Netflix devices via the Netflix settings page? That did the trick for me.
Rookie
Message 10 of 109 (125,116 Views)

Sooo has anyone made new firmware to fix this issue ? Because i for one am regretting buying a tv that clearly doesnt do what it was built for. My temporary fix for Netflix Crashing CONSTANTLY! is changing the initial setup from Canada to US and back and forth and back and forth and back and ******! seriously!? Fix your product or replace my tv with one that works. 

Sinserly ****** about my Sony Bravia KDL-60W63OB 

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook