Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Television - Apps & Widgets

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 81 of 109 (1,825 Views)

Re: Bravia - Netflix occasionally kicks me back to tv when starting movie or show

I've been having this exact problem for two yrs since I bought the TV. First time they changed the LAN channels (did nothing) been through all the other troubleshooting topics like KIWIGUY listed. About a million times. No luck.

So today I was informed this is a problem with some Sony TVs manufacturered in 2014. There is not enough memory in the TV to support Netflix.

Now I'm not sure I believe that to be true 1) because we've all factory reset the device. Surely it's memory is all shiny and new to some extent. 2) I don't believe, like bad wine, you can have a bad year for growing TVs. All sounds a bit ridiculous to me.

However I've been "escalated" to a higher power of support. The customer support sent me an email with a bunch of questions designed to p*ss me off just that little bit more. Once I've answered all hos questions, I am allowed to reach this next level of support. I can't wait. It's gotta be a cool place to be, right. I feel VIP. (heavy on the sarcasm, just to clarify)

I'll keep you posted for this magical resolution...
Enthusiast
Message 82 of 109 (1,777 Views)

Re: Bravia - Netflix occasionally kicks me back to tv when starting movie or show

Add me to the list , KDL-60W630B just completely shuts down to whatever last input i was on as soon as it starts playing a show on netflix.

Judging by the comments i'm not likely to get far with Sony support ( prove me wrong and reach out to me on this Sony support ...) 

Everything listed here has been attempted , with no resolve.

I'm still in warranty period with the extended year from Costco, just not sure if this will be covered as a replacement through them.

Hope to hear some good news from someone.

Message 83 of 109 (1,653 Views)

Hi Helenabz,

Welcome and thank you for considering the SONY Community!

Greetings and thank you for your message. On this site, we are able to provide assistance for customers in North America, Latin America, and Asia Pacific. For further assistance regarding your product, we highly recommend visiting our Sony Global Web site for information on contacting the Sony Support Center in your region at http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/.

Regards,

-Erin

If my post answers your question, please click the button below "Accept as Solution".

Message 84 of 109 (1,651 Views)

Hi Sutts00,

Welcome to the SONY Community!

Steps if Netflix® App Drops Back to Home Page When Trying to Play a Movie.

1. Make sure that your Internet video device is connected to a high-speed Internet connection.

Note: For watching Internet video content, we recommend using a connection speed of at least:

• 2.5 Mbps for standard definition (SD) content.
    • 10 Mbps for high definition (HD) content.
    • Refer to this article for more information about the Netflix Streaming Requirements.
  1. Make sure that the latest firmware has been installed. Updates are available from the Settings menu of the device or by downloading from this site using a computer. Go to Drivers and Software .
  2. Turn off all the modem and router for 1 minute, then turn it on.
  3. Perform Refresh Internet Content.

Note: Skip this step if using an Android TV™.

4. If other Internet Video apps are working, there may be a problem with the link between your device and Netflix. Follow these steps to re-link your device with Netflix:
    1. Unlink your Netflix account from your Internet video device.
      Select the link below that best meets your situation:
    2. Link the Internet video device to your active Netflix account.
    3. Access Netflix channel on your Internet video device.

If the issue is still not resolved, perform a factory reset. Additional steps can be accessed here: 

https://ca.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55501.

Regards,

~Erin

If my post answers your question, please click the button below "Accept as Solution".

Enthusiast
Message 85 of 109 (1,627 Views)

"If the issue is still not resolved, perform a factory reset."

I cannot emphasize enough everyone...DO NOT PERFORM A FACTORY RESET!!!! Many in this thread and reporting in other places have tried and it does not fix this issue (google reveals more complaints of this issue than this thread, big time).

I cannot believe Sony reps continue to be irresponsible enough to recommend this step without warning people that it will cause them to have to reset all the settings they adjusted after purchase to make the picture proper for their environment. It takes hours and a lot of tweaking to get it just right and Sony reps are NOT telling people that a factory reset causes this.

So, unless you want to go through all of your settings again and retweak them to your liking for no fix at all, don't factory reset.

ErinC and all Sony reps: WARN PEOPLE about having to redo their settings whenever you recommend a factory reset for goodness sakes. You know how much time that stuff takes? That's some basic stuff you should be warning us of and none of you warn about it. Not cool. Please acknowledge that you have read this so that I don't continue to believe that you are just another automoton spouting useless info from a script.

Enthusiast
Message 86 of 109 (1,554 Views)

Its a absoloute joke ... Sony are blaming Netlix and Netflix Blame Sony and we are all left with a ****** TV. 

Enthusiast
Message 87 of 109 (1,388 Views)

Is this a joke ErinC? You guys need to stop with the bullcrap and fix this issue.
Enthusiast
Message 88 of 109 (1,341 Views)

Ok , have tried all of the above and it still doesnt work .. what now.
Enthusiast
Message 89 of 109 (1,294 Views)

"Ok , have tried all of the above and it still doesnt work .. what now."

Samsung, LG, Panasonic...

:-)   Sorry, I just could not resist!

Apprentice
Message 90 of 109 (1,156 Views)

This is indeed a weird glitch.

Before I comment, I'm going to clarify what it's doing to me...

TV: Bravia KDL-50W790B

Router: ASUS RT-AC66U, with 2 wireless networks active (this might be important).

Network:  Bell Fibe 100M WIRED connection with 35M of that made available to television.

Problem: When connected to Netflix, I can use all the functions that are not associated with actually watching something.  But, as soon as I try to watch something, the TV immediately switches back to regular television mode.

Sometimes, unplugging the TV for 15-20 seconds (to clear caches) seems to make it work again.  Sometimes rebooting the router seems to be the remedy.  Sometimes, rebooting the computer does it.  Obviously, none of those are a solution, but more of a hint as to what is really wrong.

This got me thinking - is Netflix looking for a different network setting than the connection I happen to be using?  If there's a conflict there, the connection will naturally get dropped (and, therefore, your TV will end up switching back to a "home" position, such as your set-top box or broadcast TV).

Since all the other functions of Netflix still worked, I went back into Netflix and looked at the network parameters (by selecting the Options - the "gear").  I found that Netflix had the ID of one of my WIRELESS networks down as the connection.

Since I do have a few other devices accessing Netflix over my wireless bands, I figured using one of those devices might have caused Netflix to assume the wrong connection for my TV.  I opened Netflix on EVERY device, including the TV and SIGNED OUT.

I wanted to make sure the network was completely refreshed, so I...

1) shut off the TV, and pulled the plug.

2) restarted my computer

3) rebooted my router (properly, using the web interface, after restarting the computer)

4) plugged in the TV again, and powered it up, letting it fully start

5) fired up the TV's Netflix app, and signed in again.

Everything seems to be fine now.  I'll know more later.  If the problem isn't fixed, I'll try to make a future post.  At least it doesn't hurt to try the above, and it won't cause anyone to lose user settings.

I can't say for sure this scenario will apply to everyone having the problem.  Part of me still thinks there may still be problem between the Netflix app acquired through the Sony TV, and the Sony TV itself.

I see a number of posts here saying they've had this problem since purchasing the TV. In my case, I've only started to experience the problem in the last few months, while I've had the TV for a few years.  This might be another clue.  Makes me think the problem may have been caused by an upgrade.

What I can say with absolute certainty is that Sony has no interest in actually supporting us on any problems we may have with their products.  I'll bet there are a number of people posting here who have also banged their heads against the wall over the failed "Media Player" app.  Though it would seem to have been an important element to fix, it is quite obvious Sony simply isn't interested in spending any time or money solving problems for products they're not currently releasing.  They've got your money, and they're happy to "move on".

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook