Television - Apps & Widgets

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 10 (904 Views)

Cannot Unlink TV from Alexa After Forced Factory Reset

Hello All.

I hope someone can help here or get this to the right hands within Sony development as a bug report.

New Bravia XBR55X900E. TV firmware was upgraded; on latest available.

TV was setup and associated with a Google account and linked to Amazon Alexa using the app. When setting up the Alexa linkage I selected the TV set name as "TV" from all the list of defaults provided (i.e. Living Room TV, Den, TV1, etc). All was working.

Unrelated app installs messed up the set so I performed a "forced factory reset" using the power button/volume - buttons on the set while toggling the power connection. The forced factory reset did work. After this the "factory data reset" was also automatically perfomed as it should and the TV came back online.

I once again set up to use the SAME Google account I previously used, set up other apps, etc and then went to go re-register Alexa.

When I try to select "TV" I get "Error: the name TV is already in use". I am forced to choose an alternative name, say "Living Room TV". Things register, Alexa discovers. It works.

When I go back into the Alexa app on the TV, choose App Settings the screen shows my Google Account and that I have 2 linked TV sets. Of course these two are the pre-factory default "TV" and the now linked "Living Room TV".

While I can successfully "Unlink this TV" and relink I can NEVER choose "TV" again because it is in use by the pre-forced factory reset TV.

... in the future, of course I will "Unlink this TV" before factory reset.

However, this is a bug. I can find no option in the TV's Alexa app, Amazon Alexa's app or the Google account to wipe the original device. If in the Alexa app I select "Forget" for the "TV" it disappears however on the next discovery it pops back.

There should be an "Unlink ALL TVs" option in the app since it appears link/unlink functionality IS in the Sony TV Alexa Android app.

I think this devices profile / setting is stuck on the SONY server that hosts the Android TV skill linkage / settings. That of course is not accessibly anywhere that I can find.

Hints? Suggestions?

I don't want to have to say "Living Room TV" ... I would prefer just "TV"...

Thank you...

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 10 (826 Views)

Re: Cannot Unlink TV from Alexa After Forced Factory Reset

I am having a similiar issue.  I purchased a 55in and set it up with alexa and then decided to trade it in for a 65in.  I did a factory wipe on the 55in but I guess that did not unlink my account to the Alexa on that tv.  Now when I try to setup my new 65in with the same google account I used on the 55in, I cannot use the Living Room TV because it is currently linked with the 55in TV I no longer own.

Sony needs to provide a way for us to unlink the account from the tv.  Have you tried calling them?

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 10 (809 Views)

I have used online chat support, email support and I called phone support Friday. This is my first Sony product purchase - have always been Samsung (for everything... TV, washer/dryer, fridge, etc).

The lack of acknowledgement of a bug or even the potential for one from all contact fronts is disappointing, especially since none of the three channels gave me a working solution. They seem, like most first level support orgs, kind to throw things at you hoping it fixes it without actually reading and understanding the problem being reported to them.

I already forced factory reset the TV twice to recreate the issue twice... and each of them sent me the same article link to force factory reset the TV! Sigh.

I see this as a Google / Sony problem. The TV profile is stored somewhere... either on Google's servers or Sony's. All Amazon is doing is polling THEIR (Sony/Google) app for the TV devices..

The Sony e-mail support actually tried to suggest I go through Amazon support services for Sony's Android TV app. Sigh.

So right now, no solution.

I am going to create a dummy Google account and switch my TV over to it to see if that fixes it... probably tomorrow. Until then I can only hope someone up a few more ranks @ Sony sees this and takes its a bit more seriously.

LRO Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 10 (514 Views)

I have exactly the same issue.  Has to factory reset my new Sony Bravia 75 inch HDR TV, and also now cannot use the name TV any more for the Alexa app.  It would be great if Sony and Alexa can find an answer to this.  In addition, I note that Alex app only change channels if the HDMI 1 input is used for the cable.  And then Sony give the superior 4k quality on HDMI2 and HDMI3 - not HDMI1/  I have a Comcast box that is 4K capable, but I cannot access the additional advanced picture quality settings of HDMI 2 and HDMI 3 and use Alexa to change channels.  I note the app is still in Beta, so hopefully the coders will take note.

Expert
Message 5 of 10 (507 Views)

Can't help with the alexa naming issue but I'm curious about the comcast box.   First, is there any actual 4k content delivered from it (besides Netflix which the TV can do as well)?   If not, the TV will almost certainly do a better job of upscaling from the broadcast resolution than a cable box.   Also, does it deliver 4k HDR at 60Hz?   All of the ports should accept 4k at 30Hz.

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 10 (503 Views)

I thought I found a way and got excited but it did not work for me. I went to settings then about and it allowed me to change the tv name to living room TV. When I went to the Alexa app it was selected to Living Room Tv. Unfortunately for me, this did not work as my previous tv was also set to living room and Alexa was looking for that one and not the new tv.

Per Sony at this time there isn't a way for them to release associated TV's with Alexa. It's definitely an issue between Google and Sony.
LRO Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 10 (502 Views)

Problem is that if you link the TV's netflix to my Sonos system via the optical cable, it actually does not offer Surround 5.1. (shows ad Dolby 2 on my Sonos system).  If I pick up the Netflix via Comcast, the system allows Surround 5.1.  I suspect that it has something to do with my unique setup, but since you ask the question I thought to relay to you my thoughts on this.

LRO Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Message 8 of 10 (497 Views)

Very impressed with you guys responding so fast.  As you saw I am new (a rookie) on this community blog so I appreciate.  I actually had the same subsequent issue with the name "Living Room TV" (we actually followed almost identical paths - immediately after the first setup, the TV was named Living Room TV, then I found it to cumbersome to use the long name "Living Room TV" every time with Alexa, and changed the name successfully to "TV".  After using this name without any issues for a while, I had an issue with picture settings that require a factory reset, and then ended up with the TV alexa appshowing on the TV that I have 2 TV's linked - as opposed to only 1.  So I decided to rename the "second TV" to Den TV as this is easier to handle with Alexa).  So I still have a dormant TV device on Alexa named "TV" but am successfully now using "Den TV".  

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 10 (407 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well we do have to remember they did label it as a BETA so there are bound to be bugs.

That said the easiest work around for it (as the same thing happened to me with my bedroom TV) is to do the following:

-Link the TV again after the factory reset

-It will say 2 TVs are linked

-Rename the TV to a "custom name"

-Name that custom name exactly what you want but with a space. For example, "Bedroom TV" is locked for me, but I renamed the custom "Bed Room TV"

-Then when you search for smart home devices on your Alexa app just delete the device that is the originally locked name (in this case the default Bedroom TV). This will help avoid any voice/naming conflicts with your custom name ("Bed Room TV") so Alexa doesn't get confused.

It works as Alexa can't really decipher that there is a space in such a simple name since it's a voice command, but it's definitely a workaround.

Also, you'll have to remember to always delete the originally locked device name again as it will reappear if you ever search for more smart home devices via the Alexa app.

Hope this helps solve the problem for you all in the meantime until the bug is fixed!

LRO Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Message 10 of 10 (341 Views)

Appreciate you taking the care to make the suggestion.  I am OK for now by just using an alternative name.  I am hopeing that our feedback reach the folks who need to fix the bug.  Reason why I am wondering is that I spend quite a time with one of the Sony support team on the phone who promised to feed my comments to his advanced technical team.  He suggested that I might hear back from them the past week, but as yet I have not.  Anyways, if I hear back, I will definitly post the reply on this forum so that others can also benefit from that.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook