Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Television - Apps & Widgets

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Expert
Message 1 of 7 (919 Views)

Is there a way to check network bandwidth of wifi vs wired?

I'm generally a fan of wired ethernet connections, but the TV only supports 100M and I'd like to know if wifi is faster.   Are there any tools to test network throughput?

Message 2 of 7 (811 Views)

Re: Is there a way to check network bandwidth of wifi vs wired?

Hi Lesmikesell,

Welcome to Sony Community!

For further assistance, May I know the model number of your television?

Regards,
-Jay

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 7 (801 Views)

It is an xbr55x900e.   Until recently I had pretty bad wifi with 'N' as the best choice.   Now I have a nearby router with ac protocol which subjectively seems better than the 100M wired connection, but I'd like something that would actually test the speeds.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 7 (695 Views)

Hi LesMikeSell -

Like you, I favor Ethernet connections over WiFi. -- But I was curious about the new Wireless AC as well.

I wanted to test for myself but the only tools I have are my PC with Wireless AC, my fairly late model AC Router and Speedtest.

Speedtest reported my Internet download connection as averaging 66.49 Mbps using the Gigabyte Ethernet connection and 37.93 using Wireless AC/5G.

Since both measurements are for the same Router Internet connection, that suggests to me that Network throughput is not nearly as good with WiFi, even with an AC connection.

... At least, for my setup. Maybe someone else has found differently.

T

Expert
Message 5 of 7 (691 Views)

Speedtest on both my iphone and laptop will both report a bit over my 75M rated internet bandwidth on wifi - as does a wired computer.   When I download this sample 4k hdr file to my plex server 

http://4kmedia.org/sony-bravia-uhd-hdr-4k-demo/

and play with the 'video' player it appears to play at full speed when the TV is on wifi but stutters on a wired connection.  So my impression is that wifi can go faster but it only matters if you need more than the 100M wired interface can handle. 

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 7 (682 Views)

That's interesting - the stuttering on wired. I'm surprised!

Think I'll download this video and run my own tests.

As for your Speedtest readings that are identical for wired and wireless, is your wired PC also only 100M? If so, I wonder if that throttles the connection somewhat.

Yes, I know 75M is not yet at a 100 Max but a Gigabyte Ethernet connection of 1000M max gives so much more headroom...

T

Expert
Message 7 of 7 (659 Views)

My internet connect is 75M but it is comcast which allows bursting higher for short things like speed tests so they normally read 89 or 90M, even on gig ethernet.    The wifi is slower in rooms farther from the router but the TV is in the same room.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook