Welcome to the Community!

Television - Apps & Widgets

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 17 (1,146 Views)

Media player needs list view

I have a KDL-40W650D, and the media player only shows video thumbnails. This is utterly useless when you have dozens of videos and are trying to find a specific title. There does not seem to be any option to toggle between the thumbnail tile view and a plain text listing of files names. Please add this feature. Thank you.

Message 2 of 17 (1,110 Views)

Re: Media player needs list view

Hi Iwsbarker,

Welcome and thank you for considering SONY Community!

When viewing files from a USB device, you may press the yellow color button in thumbnail view to display list of USB playback settings.

We're always looking to make Sony better. Your feedback is highly appreciated. Have a wonderful day!

Regards,

^Ron

Rookie
Message 3 of 17 (1,093 Views)

I am playing videos over the network from a DLNA server, not from USB.
Apprentice
Message 4 of 17 (650 Views)

Since I don't appear to be able to create a new thread I'll reply to this as it's the nearest I can find to my issues.

I just bought a 55" x930e and there are two things I find disappointing.

There is no control of subtitles other than on or off.

And to play back from USB I have to open the Video app which gives me a (huge) thiumbnail view of all playable files in all folders, misses out some folders, and no way to change it do it is navigable.

Or am I missing something, is there a way to change the view of folders?

Expert
Message 5 of 17 (635 Views)

You can install other android TV apps to play your media.  Try Kodi.  Or, if you are serving the content from your own PC, you might like Plex both as client and server (and with DLNA enabled on the server it can also serve to other clients).  Both of those will give more control over playing, including chapter support and both are free. (With plex you can pay for additional features, but the server is free and the Android TV client version allows playing from your own server for free).

Howerver, the one thing the native sony video app does that others won't is pass through DTS audio to your receiver.   There is an issue with the android API on the TV that prevents other apps from doing that.  However, the current versions of both Kodi and Plex will transcode other surround sound formats into Dolby Digital 5.1 which will work properly.

Also, if you are playing from a DLNA server, the sony video app should follow the folder structure the server presents.

Apprentice
Message 6 of 17 (631 Views)

Thanks for the reply but honestly, I don't know about most of what you've written.

I just want to be able to lug in a terabyte usb drive (or two or three at same time and leave them, there's 3 USB inputs on the TV) and view a simple list of folders in each separate usb. My internet connection is not fast enough for streaming of any kind.

I expected in this day and age a $2,000 TV would play a usb without issue, it is brand new and doesn't handle files and folders as well as my 6yo TV. Instead the TV presents content in an almost innaccessible manner, huge thumbnails of folders (and all/most the files in them), leaves some folders and files out of view, invents file names that don't exist on the drive, many longer file names are truncated and unreadable, it can't distinguish between two usb drives connected - when I connected second usb the TV recognised it but the folders and files got lost in the list of the first usb, when I disconnected the first usb many of its folder/file thumbnails persisted (some non existent ones too) and the files of second usb again got lost in the still unreadable, if smaller, list.

It seems to me Sony don't rate USB playback use very high, perhaps expecting other aspects of the TV to be more in use, given the sloppy file management of the Video app and the very basic subs management.

If I had known of these limitations before I woudn't have bought it. I have aske Sony if they have a fix for these issues so we'll see what happens.

Any advice would be appreciated, though I don't really want to start modifying the TV in case I send it back.

Expert
Message 7 of 17 (618 Views)

OK, I'll try to start at the beginning.  Sony uses the Android operating system so you are not limited to the small number of apps that are pre-installed on the TV.   Just go to the 'Google Play Store' app and you can browse through many other available apps that you can add just by clicking on the 'install' button.  Some are free, some will have a price listed, some are for internet services that will have a subscription fee for the service.   Kodi and Plex are among the free ones.  Intstalling these apps is not a 'modification' to the TV.  It is how it is intended to be used and the whole point of using android.

Kodi (and probably some others I haven't tried) will play content from USB.   Install it, try it, and see if you like it better.  It's that simple.  With Kodi, the same app will play video, music, and photos and there are many addons that can play internet content but you don't have to use any of that unless you want to. 

Plex is a little more complicated.  For Plex, there is a server program that you would install on a Mac or PC (and you probably have one or you wouldn't have been able to put content on that USB drive in the first place...).   If the PC and TV are on the same network (wifi or wired), only the bandwidth in your house matters, not your internet connection.   You would install the plex server program on your PC, start it, then add the locations of your content libraries.   On the TV side you would install the plex app and then it will be able to play any of the content you added to the server over the network.   In addition to that, if you enable DLNA on the Plex server when you install it (a checkbox option), the Sony video player (and also Kodi) would be able to access the same content and would be able to follow the folder structure that you set up on the server.   Both Kodi and Plex have their own user forums if you need help with more specific details about what they can do or how to accomplish it.    Also, with the Plex server you can connect many different clients (other TVs, media players, phones, tablets, or play from a web browser on a PC.  Some of those other Plex clients may have a fee for use and there are other services in plex that require purchasing a 'plex pass'.  However, the server side is free and so is using the Android TV client (or a web browser) to play from it.

Apprentice
Message 8 of 17 (597 Views)

Thanks for that, I do appreciate it.

The thing is Sony are not responsible for third party apps, if one doesn't work or fails at some point it's back to what Sony is responsible for. I prefer to start there.

I think Sony should do properly what it is responsible for, because the way the TV comes it is not fit for use, my use. If I'd known Sony's Video app, the only way to play from the usb out of the box - all I really use it for, does the job as badly as it does I wouldn't have bought it. I just want a TV that does what could be reasonably expected it would do, without having to work at making it work.

In all my searching for information on this TV before I bought it nowhere did I read the onus is on me to make it work properly. Maybe you have to be a dedicated Sony man for this stuff.

I might try the Kodi app but I sure don't want the TV dependant on the computer working properly, as with Plex. :-)

Maybe I'll just send it back and save the headache.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 17 (590 Views)

I think you are looking at it the wrong way.  With a generic operating system like Android, you have the whole world to build and support applications for you.  You don't have to be limited to the feature any one vendor feels like giving you.   The TV won't run everything that an android phone would, but there are many, many applications that you can run.  

Go to

https://play.google.com/store/apps and search for 'android TV' to see the apps you can install.  If you log into google and the TV with the same google account it will know what device you have and you can install from the computer browser.  Or you can do it directly from the TV itself in the google play store app, but it is harder to browse and search there.

VLC is another free app to try.  Again, as simple as clicking the install button.   There are also Archos, MXplayer, and some others that may have a fee to download or to activate some features.

As far as plex being dependent on your computer, that's never been a problem for me but I depend on the computer for other things as well and thus make it a point to keep it updated and working.  

Apprentice
Message 10 of 17 (576 Views)

Ha, ha ... You might be right, maybe there are some old programs in this old brain need updating, or deleting.  A few new apps might do the trick? :-)

I will do that, have a search for 'android TV' apps, and come back to update here. Could be a while though, so tired today.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook