Welcome to the Community!

Television - Apps & Widgets

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 3 (522 Views)

Skype app on KDL-42829B

We purchased a Sony Bravia KDL-42829B television a couple of years ago and at the same time purchased the Sony CMU-BR200 USB camera to make use of the embedded Skype functionality (as I discovered it was not possible to use a normal computer webcam).

This has been used with excellent results since then, however I have recently discovered that when I try to start Skype now (it still appears in the apps listing) that it appears to not work. I see a "feature not available" message.

Can anyone advise - is it possible that a software upgrade of the TV software (which happens transparently to the user I believe) has happened which makes this app anavailable? Has Sony removed it from use? or is it loadable again somehow?

losing the ability to do this, effectively reduces the value of the TV to me somewhat, it was a deciding reason for buying the TV over others when I purchased it and leaves me effectively with a £60 webcam which is useless ... I'm not anticipating good news but thought I'd ask here for others experience/advice

thanks

Mike

Highlighted
Message 2 of 3 (472 Views)

Re: Skype app on KDL-42829B

Hi Miken,

Thank you for visiting the SONY Community!

Greetings and thank you for your message. On this site, we are able to provide assistance for customers in North America, Latin America, and Asia Pacific. For further assistance regarding your product, we highly recommend visiting our Sony Global Web site for information on contacting the Sony Support Center in your region at http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/.

Regards,

-Erin

If my post answers your question, please click the button below "Accept as Solution".

Rookie
Message 3 of 3 (463 Views)

Re: Skype app on KDL-42829B

Thanks for directing me to Sony support via the provided link.

I was able to very quickly find the answer to my query, which is that SONY have ceased supporting the Skype app on their Bravia Televisions.

Unfortunately this means that I may have to consider other manufacturers when the time comes to replace our set.

Sad that Sony has made this decision

cheers

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook