Television - General

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
BAH Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Message 71 of 149 (1,444 Views)

Re: Brand new 65x930d wont turn on

11 p.m. on Thursday, August 17th our 65X930D (purchased in January 2017 from Best Buy) working just fine.  Friday, August 18th, NOTHING!!! So now we're waiting for a Sony tech appt.  However, this thread is very disheartening as it seems many customers are powerless to receive a satisfactory resolution. We'll return to this thread with our own update and to get more info on repair and or replacement.  We should have purchased the Samsung from Costco! 

Rookie
Message 72 of 149 (1,403 Views)

We have had a very similar experience with our XBR-55X930D, bought through Amazon in November 2016.  After working fine for a half year, now it won't power on.  Sony service promised to send out a technician with a new power board, but insists we have to have the TV taken off the wall ourselves first.  As their parts are failing (and in apparently considerable numbers), forcing their customers to bear additional expense to get other professionals to unmount and later remount the unit is not fair to the customer.  As it appears Sony is contracting out their service work to a contractor in any case, they should cover the entire operation.  After I escalated the case Sony eventually agreed to pay up to $50 for the re-installation costs but we have to make the additional arrangements and that amount is unlikely to fully cover those costs in NYC.  I have been a major consumer of Sony products over many decades so this is especially disappointing.

BAH Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Message 73 of 149 (1,332 Views)

Update:  The Sony technician arrived yesterday, within 2 business days after we reported that our 65X930D would not turn on.  They do know what the problem is because they ordered the part before the tech visit.  He spent 2 hours including time to update the software.  The TV would not turn on.  Sony said they would replace our 930D with a recertified 930D.  When I asked the rep on the phone what that means, he said the unit has been in a store and returned to Sony (he did not know the reason why it was returned).  We received a follow up email that said the recertified unit might have minor cosmetic flaws and would have a 2-year warranty.  We expressed our dissatisfaction over receiving a "used" TV in exchange for our expensive, 7 month old 930D. Today we received a call to let us know that we will receive a "brand new" 930E.  "The television may come in a generic box for packaging protection."  That seems a little fishy.  But we'll see.  We are supposed to receive an email in 5-7 days when the unit is shipped to let us know tracking information.  We're hoping this will restore our faith in Sony products and customer service.  We'll keep this thread posted.

Enthusiast
Message 74 of 149 (1,316 Views)

It's actually not fishy. This is the exact resolution you're hoping for. We got the replacement 930E and it has been fantastic.
BAH Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Message 75 of 149 (1,297 Views)

Thanks for the encouraging message, Jlevine912!  We just wondered why the unit would come in a generic packaging and not the original box if it is indeed "brand new".

Enthusiast
Message 76 of 149 (1,289 Views)

I think it's because it is coming from Sony directly and not from one of the big box stores. Thinking of it from their perspective, they probably have different packaging for each of the different stores, and they have to get it all printed, boxed, and shipped to those stores. I wouldn't even be surprised if the box that goes to Best Buy is different than the one that goes to Crutchfield for instance. 

I also think that Sony has these tvs on hand at their own warehouses for situations such as these warranty issues, and why pay for special box printing if there's no reason for salesmanship or marketing. They just get a simple cardboard box, printed with the model number because you're getting what you're getting and there's no need to remind you of all the great ****** it's got on the box. 

Is that making sense?

Enthusiast
Message 77 of 149 (1,186 Views)

BAH, congratulations on the replacement. We just got one on the 25th also. We had the same question like you do, I did ask the delivery guys (Ceva carrier for Sony) and they said that this "generic" box is for customer who might lost or throw away the original box already, that's why is a little bigger with all funky foamy inserts. It's like a "one size fit all" box. Dunno how much truth their answer was, but that seems to be what we get for the replacement. I got good comment from the delivery guys for having the original box of the "troublesome" XBR65X930D with all the accessories in it thou. Enjoy!

BAH Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Message 78 of 149 (1,173 Views)

Jlevine912, makes sense.  Thanks for the perspective!  We just talked to the Sony rep in San Diego.  We may have our new TV by the end of the week.  Yay!

Enthusiast
Message 79 of 149 (1,082 Views)

Wow! Got home last night to find out that my XBR 930D will not turn on. Called Geek Squad but they can't come look at it for 5 days.

Nothing like taking off work for a broken TV. Very disappointing.

Enthusiast
Message 80 of 149 (1,056 Views)

I would reach out to sony support. I initially spoke to the geek squad also, but it was contacting sony that helped to get my issue resolved.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook