Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Television - General

Tuning Up
user9385
Accepted Solution

Bravia Sync doesn't work when Laptop connected via standard HDMI cable

I have a Sony Bravia TV KDL-40HX855 and a Sony Blu-ray-Player BDP-S4100 connected via Highspeed HDMI cable. As long as nothing more is connected Bravia Sync works fine and I can control my Blu-ray-Player via my Bravia TV.

But when I connect my Laptop via standard HDMI cable to use my Bravia TV as Laptop display, Bravia Sync doesn't work anymore. In the Sync menu no Bravia Sync compatible device is found anymore. This is even the case, when I disconnect the Laptop so that only one end of the standard HDMI cable stays connected to the TV.

Is this normal behaviour, and if yes, why is this a problem?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ShaunH

Re: Bravia Sync doesn't work when Laptop connected via standard HDMI cable

Yes, this is normal.

For the Bravia Sync feature to work properly each product must be connected with an HDMI cable and be setup to communicate through the HDMI connection and all of the HDMI-connected devices must have the BRAVIA Sync feature. It will not work if all of the HDMI-connected products do not have the BRAVIA Sync feature.

Also, the HDMI Control setting in the menu system for each product should be set to On. Some devices with multiple HDMI inputs, require that a specific HDMI input be used for the BRAVIA Sync feature to work.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Thank you for your post.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
user9385

Thanks for your reply. That means, even if I don't want to use the "Control via HDMI" (Bravia Sync) feature with my Laptop, simply connecting the Laptop corrupts that feature for all other HDMI connected devices?

I think it's important to find that information in the iManual. This is not obvious and It took me some time to find that out.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ShaunH

The Bravia Sync function will work only when a compatible Sony Bravia Sync device is connected to the Sony TV and that input is selected in the TV. You can select only one input at a time in the Sony TV. Therefore, when you select input for the connected laptop in the Sony TV, the Bravia Sync feature of the Blu-ray Disc (BD) player will not work and Bravia Sync device will not show up in the Sync menu. When you disconnect the laptop, turn OFF the BD player and then, turn it back ON again for the Bravia Sync option to work again.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
agak

Maybe you can make a custom HDMI cable that does not use HDMI CEC.

Google search HDMI pinout, locate which pin is the CEC control line.

Determine which wire is the CEC wire and cut it to disable CEC for your PC.

Might want to try it on a cheapy cable since those are usually easiest to modify.

Would be intereresting to know if it helps your problem.

Also these are available to buy just doing Google search, like

http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/110-cec-less-hdmi-cable.aspx

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ShaunH

Yes, you may try the CEC-less HDMI cable for the Laptop to connect to the TV. However, the community here is for United States and Asia-Pacific countries. The KDL-40HX855 TV and BDP-S4100 Blu-ray Disc player models that you have provided are not sold in North America. Therefore, I would suggest that you contact Sony support in your country for further information on this.

For your convenience the support pages for your television and BD player can be found here depending on the country of origin.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/hub/sony_europe.html

Please use plain text.