Television - General

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 22 (13,205 Views)

HDR settings on Apple TV 4K on x900e

Hi all

Grabbed an apple TV 4k today to go with my "HDR x900e 55" TV, when I change settings to "try HDR" (apple's way of saying let me see if youre TV can do this for ya), the screen goes blank and then says;

"we switched you back to the previous display settings, you may need to choose "ultra" or "deep" color settings on your TV or try a different input"

I have tried all 4 inputs with no luck. Also reset my display settings back to factory, and see no options for Ultra or Deep. HDR has been set to auto as well.

I grabbed the 4k HDMI that apple sells with the Apple TV 4k also.

Please help?

Expert
Message 2 of 22 (13,189 Views)

Re: HDR settings on Apple TV 4K on x900e

Did you set the TV hdmi input mode to "enhanced" or whatever the option on the TV is?

Rookie
Message 3 of 22 (13,111 Views)

I am having the same issue with my XBR65X900E. I don’t feel like it should be this difficult. Please help!!!
Rookie
Message 4 of 22 (13,056 Views)

[ Edited ]

I was on the same boat as you (new apple TV 4k and x900e TV) and the apple TV would not detect the x900e as HDR capable.  Long story short I just fixed the issue, and yeah, it's basically a setting on the Sony TV.  Do the following:

1. Hit the "Home" button on the Sony TV remote.  You'll see a bunch of icons popup

2. Arrow down to the bottom to Settings (it looks like a gear icon on the x900e)

3. Once in settings, go into External Inputs

4. Scroll down and go into HDMI signal Format (Enhance 4K HDMI signal Format)

5. Once there you'll see the magic setting we need, which is the Enhanced Format (Displays High-Quality HDMI signals on HDMI inputs 2 & 3...), so select it and navigate back out using the back button

I then went in and switched my apple TV to HDMI input 2, unplugged its power and replugged it back in.  When the Apple TV booted back up, I went into the display settings and it showed as being HRD now...wooohoooo!!!!  So yeah, it apparently only works for inputs 2 & 3 so be weary of that.

Hope it works for you and the other sony TV heads...so annoying that this isn't more obvious and hidden in ****** menus.

Rookie
Message 5 of 22 (13,047 Views)

I tried this earlier and it did not work for me but I am going to double-check my cabling, then try it sgain in the morning. Glad to have others working on this too!
Apprentice
Message 6 of 22 (13,037 Views)

I have the XBR65X930D, which is basically last year's model, and I had to change the same setting to detect HDR capability. BUT, once you were able to set the HDR mode on the ATV4K, did you notice that the menu, SDR content, etc, all look dull, color washed out, etc? If I switch back to 4K SDR the colors look as expected? I'm seeing mentions of this on several TV sets, not just Sonys, on the AVS Forum: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2921216-apple-tv-5-gen-h...

Do you experience this on your TV if you switch between SDR and HDR?

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 22 (12,924 Views)

I have a 65 900e and I'm having the same problem. I turned on the enhanced content and still not working for me. I've tried HDMI port 2 and 3. With these inputs the Apple TV won't display 4K or HDR. On HDMI 1, the Apple TV goes into 4K but not HDR. Any solution? I am using a AudioQuest 4K hdr Cable. Just bought it yesterday. This is so frustrating....
Rookie
Message 8 of 22 (12,917 Views)

This worked perfectly for me, everybody. Thank you ! 

As to the off color question, I will have to have another look

Expert
Message 9 of 22 (12,889 Views)

For anyone where HDR is still not working - have you unplugged or restarted the apple TV after making the change to the TV HDMI settings?  Some devices determine the connected device capabilities at startup and may not detect changes unless the cable is unplugged or they are restarted.

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 22 (12,878 Views)

Yes I have, and still no luck. Never thought it would be this difficult. I even did a full hard reset on the Apple TV

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook