Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Television - General

USER-925817
Accepted Solution

Hooking up a sound bar with digital optical cable.

Hi,
I have a Sony Bravia LED tv Model KDL-40S5100 I am tying to hook up a sound bar to it with a digital optical cable the instructions say for the sound bar set your tv to PCM output. I don't see that anywhere on my tv? And no sound is working when the digital optical cable is connected.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-911891

Re: Hooking up a sound bar with digital optical cable.

USER-925817 Wrote:"Hi,
I have a Sony Bravia LED tv Model KDL-40S5100 I am tying to hook up a sound bar to it with a digital optical cable the instructions say for the sound bar set your tv to PCM output. I don't see that anywhere on my tv? And no sound is working when the digital optical cable is connected"

I've been having issues too, but make sure you go into your tv's sound settings and try setting it to audio system and not tv speakers.
Please use plain text.
USER-940304

Re: Hooking up a sound bar with digital optical cable.

I have a 'brand new' 46" LED XBR HX929.

Settings as follows:
Cable Box (set to HDMI Audio)> HDMI Cable > XBR HX929 (HDMI input one) > TV Digital Optical Audio Out > Harmon Kardon SB 16 (Digital Optical In)

TV settings:
TV Speakers / Audio Out (Audio Out Chosen)
FIXED
Result: no sound

TV settings:
TV Speakers / Audio Out (TV Speakers Chosen)
Variable
Result: sound, but both the TV speakers and the soundbar are on.

In speaking with Sony tech support they have said 'so far' that the HDMI input from the cable box to the TV and Digital Optical Output from the TV to the sound bar are not compatable.

I can get no explanation of what they mean by that as obviously the audio signal to the sound bar is using the digital optical output but only when the setting is set to TV Speakers which I presume on the TV is an analog signal but I can't get confirmation.

I want to use the sound bar and I want to turn off the TV speakers. It seems pretty obvious how it should work but
Please use plain text.