Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Television - General

Groovin'
LaVieEnRose
Accepted Solution

How can I connect a Nintendo 64 to my TV?

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-32BX330 and I can't get my N64 to work. With the Nintendo NES (which is way older) I have no problems, so I don't know what to do. Please help me!

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ColbyP

Re: How can I connect a Nintendo 64 to my TV?

Hi,

We need some additional information like cable connections made between N64 and TV, so that exact resolution can be provided. Does your statement “I can't get my N64 to work” mean picture from N64 is not appearing or there are some sound issues?

Try connecting the N64 to the same jack on the TV where NES was connected using the same cable. If the issue still persists, then there is no issue with the TV.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
LaVieEnRose

The cable I used for the NES is the classical A/V cable. I connected the red and white in their respective jacks, and the yellow in the green jack.

A/V

However, the cable in the N64 is slightly different, but it still has the red/yellow/white cables to connect them to the TV. I connected everything the same way, and the only thing I get on the screen is "No Signal". 

N64 

I tested the N64 in another television and it works, so I know for sure that's not the problem. I have read of other people having a similar problem, so I don't know if it has to do with the resolution or another setting I have to change on my TV to be able to play with this game. 

Please use plain text.
JoseM

Hello,

The TV you are using shares or combines the Composite (Red, White and Yellow) and Component (Red, Blue, Green) connection under one input. So when connecting an older non-HD device like the N64, you have to connect the yellow cable from the N64 to the input on the TV labeled Y under Video In.

Then for sound, connect the white and red cables from the N64 to the Audio Inputs on the TV labeled R and L. When doing this you will have the two inputs/connections on the TV labeled Pr and PB empty or with nothing connected.

After making all the connections, press the Input button on the TV remote and select Video.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an “Accepted Solution”.

JM
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
LaVieEnRose

Like I mentioned, I've been doing exactly what you describe, but still no signal. That's why I'm asking if there is a setting on my TV for this. 

Please use plain text.
JoseM

The composite video input on the TV only displays at 480i, so as long as the connection is correct and the N64 is sending at least a 480i signal, you should get a picture.

I would first make sure that the component input on the TV is working by connecting a composite video cable (not component)  from another device (cable box/satellite receiver usually have a composite connection) and see if you can see the picture. If you experience the same issue with a different device, then the TV probably need to be repaired.

Once you have verified that the composite video input on the TV is working, you will have to make sure that the N64 is sending a 480i or higher signal to the TV. Do this by trying a different game and also replacing the cable. If both of those recommendation are unseuccessful, I recommend contacting Nintendo for additional support.

JM
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
liane

do you believe it would it work if I purchased new AVV cables for The N64? or is the sony bravia noT compatible wiTh N64?

Please use plain text.
AngelaP

As what JoseM mentioned, just as long as the connection is correct and the N64 is sending at least a 480i signal, you should be able to get a picture.

What is the model number of your TV? You may refer to this link to locate the model number. 

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Scrillaaa

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-32L5000, and I can't seem to connect my N64 successfully with AV or the cable connection. I've tried endless combinations of different AV inputs, and I consistently get "no signal". I've even purchased a new n64 and cables and still nothing.

Please use plain text.
AngelaP

Hi Scrillaaa!

Thanks for the message. Follow the steps below to resolve the issue.

1. Turn off the TV and the N64.
2. Unplug the power cord of the TV and the N64 from the electrical outlet.
3. Disconnect the AV cable.
4. Wait for 60 seconds.
5. Reconnect the AV cable. (Connect the yellow, white and red cables on Video 3.)
6. Plug the power cord back of the TV and the N64. 
7. Turn on the N64 first and then the TV.
8. Set the input of the TV to Video 3.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution."

Please use plain text.