Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 9 (1,029 Views)

KDL-50R550A horizontal line please help

Looks like my post was moved.

Hi,

I have a KDL-50R550A television which I purchased in July 2013. It's not even 3 years old and I am getting a horizontal line in my TV. I have purchased other Sony products like tablet, phone, etc, in the past but looks like its better to buy Toshiba or Panasonic which are less costly and works fine even after 6-7 years.

I do see that there is a warranty extension for a similar TV  having same issue!
I had a conversation with Sony rep and they told me the website name to look for service center and that's about it.

I request you to please extend the coverage to this model as it looks more like a manufacturing defect.

Thanks,

Regards

Aseem

Enthusiast
Message 1 of 9 (1,025 Views)

KDL-50R550A horizontal line

Hi,

I have a KDL-50R550A television which I purchased in July 2013. It's not even 3 years old and I am getting a horizontal line in my TV. I have purchased other Sony products like tablet, phone, etc, in the past but looks like its better to buy Toshiba or Panasonic which are less costly and works fine even after 6-7 years.

I do see that there is a warranty extension for a similar TV  having same issue!
I had a conversation with Sony rep and they told me the website name to look for service center and that's about it.

I request you to please extend the coverage to this model as it looks more like a manufacturing defect.

Thanks,

Regards

Aseem

Message 3 of 9 (966 Views)

Re: KDL-50R550A horizontal line please help

[ Edited ]

Hi aseem1980,

Welcome to the Sony Community!

Thanks for your post. I understand your concern regarding the repair of your kdl-50r550a. Sony provides a warranty for all products to allow for initial failures to be covered at Sony's expense. Once the warranty expires, it is the customer's responsibility to cover repair costs. Based on the specifications of this TV, the limited warranty that comes with this unit is 365 days for both parts and labor. If there are available news and alerts about this model such warranty extension and etc., it will be posted on our website for our customers reference. The website is at https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=XBR55X810C&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=alerts#/al...

If you want to send your unit to a Sony facility to be repaired or to look for service center near you, please visit eservice.sony.com

If my post answers your question, please don't forget to click the button below "Accept as Solution". Again, thank you!

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 9 (929 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I checked with few TV service repair centers. They all say that the whole LCD panel will need change and it will cost more than the the TV. Does Sony has any discount on repairs or replacement?

Thanks.

Rookie
Message 5 of 9 (457 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have this exact same issue. I purchased my TV in August 2013, and it began displaying horizontal lines about a week ago. It's a shame Sony is hiding behind a warranty instead of fixing this issue.

The issue is demonstrated at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roxl3vWoKwU.

My next TV will most likely be from another manufacturer. Sony used to be a high quality brand; but, this has greatly soured my view of the brand.

Highlighted
Message 6 of 9 (426 Views)

Hi, Clintonb

Welcome to Sony Community! 

To isolate and hopefully resolve these lines or double images issue, please follow the guidelines here: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55005/

Regards,

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 9 (315 Views)

I have heard from 2 users that this problem can fix by itself after a Month or two.

Its too bad we cant get any REAL help from Sony except by telling us to unplug and replug out sets.

Has anyone had this model fix by iteslf?

BTW I went to Best Buy today. They are only too fimiliar with this model and are suprised theres been no

product recall.

Message 8 of 9 (275 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, Ian1234567

Welcome to Sony Community! 

It is possible to fix the issue by performing troubleshooting steps. Kindly check out the link from my previous post for that. Based on our system, there is no recall for this model. You may reset the TV to factory settings if the issue is still unresolved: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61396/

Regards,

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 9 (264 Views)

Seriously Mr Moderator

Do you actually read what people say?

I already said the factory reset or power unplug does not help as it is a panel defect.

I never said there was a product recall, I said the Best BUY staff WERE surpised there was no recall

as they had to replace numerous Sony TVs (r550a series) for those clever enough (not me) to spend

an extra $300 on a 4 year warrenty.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook