Television - General

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 3 (1,468 Views)

[KDL-50W805C] Netflix error -118 since last update to Marshmallow

After the last update to Marshmallow for my SONY Bravia KDL-50W805C a month ago, I started to have issues with applications.

First, it was the infamous -112 error with Netflix that seems to be solved by now.

Then I had issues with KODI 16.1 when playing videos. At random, the screen got black while the sound kept playing. With the new version 17.0 this doesn’t happen but I have instability (crashes while playing). Anyway, I am not currently worried about this application as issues might be related to the new release.

Last week, I started to get the error -118 quite frequently. In this case, Netflix stops playing content and gives a (dubious) network error message and just a second later gives the -118 that force closes the application.

Strangely enough, this also happens every time I first start the TV and load the Netflix application. Even while not playing any content, I get this error after a couple of seconds of entering the application and choosing the profile. Just by being sit in the dashboard, I get this error.

Needless to say that any other devices I have on the same network play content without interruption (an Android phone with Marshmallow and a Windows desktop computer with Chrome browser). I have no connectivity or bandwidth issues either.

So, is there any fix to this issue in the works? It is even acknowledged by SONY?

Any help would be appreciated as this is getting me mad. Smiley Sad

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 3 (1,267 Views)

Re: [KDL-50W805C] Netflix error -118 since last update to Marshmallow

Nobody has this error?

I called Sony support line and they asked me to reset to factory defaults. After that the error is less common, but it still happens every time I start Netflix after powering up the TV, and once in a while when watxhing something.

It really makes me wonder why I choose Sony TV over others and I can't recommend it anymore to anybody, as Netflix is a commonly used service by now. :/
Message 3 of 3 (1,247 Views)

Re: [KDL-50W805C] Netflix error -118 since last update to Marshmallow

[ Edited ]

Hi Jcasares,

Welcome and thank you for considering the SONY Community!

We regret to hear what happened. This particular error could be cause by some miscommunication between the TV and the application itself. We were looking into this error and it does not appear on our database for SONY TV's. However, since you mentioned that it started after the update, might as well perform some troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue: 

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55501/c/65,66/kw/netflix and https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/75612/c/65%2C66/kw/general%20troubleshooting.

We also recommend to conatct Netflix for additional steps to follow.

For further assistance, we kindly recommend visiting our Sony Global Web site for information on contacting the Sony Support Center in your region at http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/.

Regards,

~Erin

If my post answers your question, please click the button below "Accept as Solution".

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook