Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Television - General

Tuning Up
lzarillo
Accepted Solution

Online TV Guide not working for over two weeks now.

My Sony Bravia KDL-52W4100 suddenly does not show the TV listings. It worked before but stopped for some reason. I tried unplugging the TV as suggested on more than one occasion and resetting, but it's still not working. The TV Guide On Screen Setup Progress screen says the search for time and channel lineup is done, but the search for TV stations with TV Guide data is "in progress" and next listings transmission begins tonight at 11:56pm. This same screen has appeared every day for at least a week now with no listing showing on the TV guide. Getting very frustrated because I've checked online and because this model is no longer being made I can't find anything about it. I updated my software a few years ago so it's up to date. Anyone else have this problem and able to figure it out? Please help!

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
NathanielL

Re: Online TV Guide not working for over two weeks now.

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums.

Please refer to the following Knowledge Base article pertaining to Rovi TV Guide:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=C1032343...

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
aberens

[ Edited ]

Yah .. I have a Sony Bravia 46EX723 AND 40EX700 and both have their guides get corrupt if there is a minor power loss.  Always starts with asking to set correct time and then the guide goes 'NO DATA' for all channels (and remain so indefinately).  The channels are properly tagged.  Attempts to force a guide update fail.  Attempts to reset the guide all fail with attempting to search for setup data on the  "download via internet connection".  Cycling power, unplugging are of no avail.  It will stay on the screen forever or returns an immediate 'try again' error.  It will never ask me to choose my tv service provide, EVER.  Doing a channel scan and soft reset of the TV do NOT help.  Changing zips in the Preferences/Region or within the Guide does not help.  I will say that performing a hard reset on the TV (holding remote buttons and power tv on/off) does work once the tv is reconfigured.  The hard reset is the only solution to guide restoration that I've found.  And for the record, the internet connection is good (streaming works and internet tests return with good results).  I'm am using the Rovi On Screen guide and BUT am using it via internet am not subject to the canned  Rovi depreciated broadcast support response.  Since I have it on 2 different series TVs that are several years apart in age AND performing a hard reset on both sets is the only way to correct the corrupt guide settings, I would say that the problem lies within Sony software.

-Annoyed

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
pleomorphed

aberens, I couldn't have typed that better myself!  You described word for word what happens to my INTERNET-connected TV Guide on my Bravia 46W5100.  Any little power fluctuation causes the TV Guide to go into it's "No Data" mode and to never return.  The hard reset is the only thing that will fix it, but as an sane person can imagine, I do not want to sit through every setup screen and picture adjustment setting again anytime the lights flicker.

Sony, please acknowledge this issue, escalate it up the chain, and please address it in a firmware fix. Any chat, email, or phone support request I make results in the standard "Rovi guide broadcast termination" response, but this particular issue is affecting Internet TV Guide systems.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
rickeytick

pleomorphed wrote:

aberens, I couldn't have typed that better myself!  You described word for word what happens to my INTERNET-connected TV Guide on my Bravia 46W5100.  Any little power fluctuation causes the TV Guide to go into it's "No Data" mode and to never return.  The hard reset is the only thing that will fix it, but as an sane person can imagine, I do not want to sit through every setup screen and picture adjustment setting again anytime the lights flicker.

Sony, please acknowledge this issue, escalate it up the chain, and please address it in a firmware fix. Any chat, email, or phone support request I make results in the standard "Rovi guide broadcast termination" response, but this particular issue is affecting Internet TV Guide systems.

It would be great if Sony created a fix but in the meantime..........Connect your TV through a UPS.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
pleomorphed

rickeytick wrote:
It would be great if Sony created a fix but in the meantime..........Connect your TV through a UPS.

Good idea, but my TV is already connected to a UPS.  It seems this issue also happens if the internet goes out for a brief period when the Guide tries to connect.  Interestingly, I've noticed on three occassions that the Guide will connect and update at 6:00am EST (it could work at other times in the morning, this just happens to be when I wake up), but goes back to its "No Data" tantrum later in the day.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Synchronicity

I was told they stopped bradcasting TV Guide and now want to charge for it!

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
nester5000

While we're on the subject of firmware fixes, I have a KDL37XBR6 that no longer gets TVGOS due to Rovi stopping OTA service.  There isn't internet on this TV, so that option is out.  What I would like to do is disable the TVGOS, but that option is also not available (unlike my KDL52XBR9).  That should allow the data from the OTA stations to fill in all data, instead of just the call letters and program name (I hope).

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
nester5000

Better still, I have an external HDTV tuner from another manufacturer (my KLV-S26A10 doesn't have a digital tuner) that has a guide that requires no set-up and populates automatically with the data from the OTA stations.  This would be the best option.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
daveh

I have a kdl-52w4100.
All rigth, now that the TV guide data is gone, tbe guide menu pops up every time I turn on the TV. Quite annoying. I too would like to disable this feature.
The way I see this, it is a manufacture's defect and it needs to be fixed.
Please use plain text.