Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Television - General

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 21 of 95 (9,128 Views)

Re: When is the Dolby Vision Firmware update going to be available?

I agree that is may be a licensing issue because the Sony HighEnd TVs certainly have the technology to support it. But there is a glimmer of hope the Sony HighEnd receivers just a couple of days got their DV updates via firmware update. So let’s wait and see because if Sony doesn’t do this, this may become a legal issue.
Enthusiast
Message 22 of 95 (7,959 Views)

Hi,

seems that the DV update unfortunately will be delayed until march 2018 Smiley Sad

In a German forum someone obtained the message from a Sony employee (Sony event Berlin)

Apprentice
Message 23 of 95 (7,948 Views)

Which falls in line with the release of the 2018 models. Meaning our DV capable sets will be old news at that point. Way to drop the ball Sony!!!
Enthusiast
Message 24 of 95 (7,931 Views)

Exactly! I'm very disappointed from Sony, and as owner of the Oppo UDP-203 I have to wait other 4 months that I (hopefully) can use the DV feature. Smiley Mad

Enthusiast
Message 25 of 95 (7,037 Views)

[ Edited ]

A reviewer from Forbes who has seen the update has come away very impressed.  Unfortunately the article doesn’t say when the update is coming out.  All it says is Sony will let us know sometime in December when the update will be released. That almost certainly puts it in 2018, but at least it’s not vaporware. 

Apprentice
Message 26 of 95 (7,033 Views)

I have also heard from a variety sources that a date will announced in December. At least this is something positive!
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 27 of 95 (6,609 Views)

[ Edited ]

I can also confirm due to my own reseach, that this is correct. As of a video on YouTube from a pretty reliable Vlogger has indicated. Please go to 13:00, if you want to skip all the other commentary regarding this video. In the video states it states that, apparently it is sometime in December that the update will take place.

Enthusiast
Message 28 of 95 (3,511 Views)

That's not what the video says though is it. It says an anncouncment will be made in December, not that the update will be in December!

I find infuriating that my Dads 2-3 year old £500 Pansonic can play the BBC iplayer HLG footage and my 2017 £2.5k OLED can't, let alone the massively delayed Dolby Vision functionality.

Not happy Sony. 

Rookie
Message 29 of 95 (2,674 Views)

Pretty sure it's not going to be on the 850e. Only the models with x1 extreme processor will get the update as I understand it.

Rookie
Message 30 of 95 (2,674 Views)

Pretty sure it's not going to be on the 850e. Only the models with the x1 extreme processor will get the update as I understand it.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook