Television - General

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 5 (1,452 Views)
Accepted Solution

XBR55X900E Unable to play content from computer

According to the Help Guide for the XBR55X900E, I should be able to play content from my computer wirelessly as long as the TV and computer are on the same network.  The guide says to use the HOME button, select ALBUM, VIDEO or MUSIC, select the server containing the file to play, and select the file from the list.  The XBR55X900E is on the same Wifi home network as my computer.

When I push the HOME button and select ALBUM, a list that has an option for Devices is displayed.  I select Devices and my NAS, Sonos PLAY 3, and Plex Media Server on my PC are displayed, but my PC isn't displayed.  I'm able to view photos from my NAS and Plex Media Server.  Is there something not mentioned in the Help Guide that must be done in order the TV to see the PC?  I want to view photos from an external hard drive that is connected to my PC and photos that are on the PC.  I'm running Windows 10. The TV is using the 5GHz band from my router.  Do I need to connect the TV with the 2.4GHz band?

Expert
Message 2 of 5 (1,414 Views)

Re: XBR55X900E Unable to play content from computer

You need a DLNA server to deliver the files - the apps don't see file shares.   The simple fix would be to configure your plex server to serve the photo directory too.   Also, you can install a plex client on the TV if you prefer that interface.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 5 (1,379 Views)

Thanks for the information.  When I looked at the supported file formats, I saw it would only support JPEGs because I my photos on the external drive are in raw(NEF) format what I wanted to do wouldn't work.  I think I'll investigate installing the Plex client on the TV because I'm able to display NEF files with Plex.  Thanks for your help.

Gary

Expert
Message 4 of 5 (1,374 Views)

Plex will generally transcode server-side if the client can't handle the native format.  To install, just run the google play store app and pick it.   Some plex clients have a fee to activate but the android TV one will work with your local server for free.

One other note - android apps like plex can't pass DTS through to a receiver from videos.  Plex will transcode to Dolby Digital 5.1 so you still get surround sound, but it might be a bit better with the native sony video app.   Otherwise Plex is nicer to use with better navigation and chapter support.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 5 (1,350 Views)

I installed the Plex client, and I'm able to view the photos I have in my Plex library.  I also found the cause of the problem when trying to play content from my PC.  It was a user error.  I didn't have Media Streaming turned on in Windows 10.  For others that might have the same problem, I went to Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center and selected Change advanced sharing settings.  Under All Networks there is an option to Chose Media Streaming.  After turning on Media Streaming, the TV displayed my PC.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Gary

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook