Welcome to the Community!

Television - General

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Occasional Contributor
Message 1 of 7 (13,986 Views)

content error on Sony 46HX800

I am having a content error with all netflix streaming videos.

I have enabled my account with netflix and sony, and I can view my queue of movies -- but every video I've tried will not play.

any suggestions?
Occasional Contributor
Message 2 of 7 (13,986 Views)

Re: content error on Sony 46HX800

ok, so I've discovered that I need a software/firmware upgrade located here:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-do ... 13#install

Only problem is, the TV is not reading my USB drive.

I use a Mac, and I've erased and reformatted the USB (not mac-specific) to FAT32 / MS-DOS format using disk utility, but the TV is still not accepting the firmware, delivering the message, "software cannot be updated using this USB device."

I've downloaded the software update twice, turned the TV on and off, and I still encounter problems.

Any further suggestions? All online support seems to stop here.
Occasional Contributor
Message 3 of 7 (13,986 Views)

just used sony's virtual chat support, and the best solution they have is to buy a sony usb drive!

I've turned the TV's option to update firmware when in standby mode, and thus turned the TV off, but I can't seem to find anything to initiate that software udpate...

I guess I just have to wait?
Next step is to call the people who i bought it from.

Kind of unacceptable to spend this kind of $$ on a TV and then have to immediately udpate the software. Shouldn't the retailer be on the hook for this?
New Contributor
Message 4 of 7 (13,986 Views)

ok, so I've discovered that I need a software/firmware upgrade located here:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-do ... 13#install

Only problem is, the TV is not reading my USB drive.

I use a Mac, and I've erased and reformatted the USB (not mac-specific) to FAT32 / MS-DOS format using disk utility, but the TV is still not accepting the firmware, delivering the message, "software cannot be updated using this USB device."

I've downloaded the software update twice, turned the TV on and off, and I still encounter problems.

Any further suggestions? All online support seems to stop here.

check the tv software version. if it is above4.020 perform forced software update by setting auto software to on then refresh internet content then turn tv off. wait until orange light blinks. (it will usually take upto 10mins or depends on your internet connection) after orange light blinks then turn tv on and refresh internet content. that should work. if not try to use pc on downloading the software update from esupport. just follow instructions on the website
Message 5 of 7 (13,986 Views)

the problem i had is that i did not copy far enough into the folder. i extracted the file and copy pasted what i got into my memory card. i found out it would not open like that so i also copyed the file inside the file and then i copied the file inside of that and pasted each part into my memory card, whatever it ended up working in the end. after you update that you need to refresh your internet apps so you get all your options back in the home menu. hope this helps everyone!
Sony should really put update instructions so people know there tv jus isnt broke, i was very upset that hardly nothing was working for the internet apps.
Message 6 of 7 (13,986 Views)

I'm having the same issue as user 985105. I followed the instructions to upgrade the software version and that worked like a champ. Proplem now is when playing Netflix movies the "content error" comes back when into the movie. We tried watching an Netflix instant movie and the content error came back 6-7 times until we were through the movie. Everytime reseting the movie to the beginning and having to FF to aproximately the spot where the error occured. Is there any more info on this error? The instant movie option is great if it works. Please help.
Trusted Contributor
Message 7 of 7 (13,986 Views)

If this message or the message that says Content Error appears when trying to watch certain movies or TV shows on the Netflix® channel through the BRAVIA® Internet Video feature, press the RETURN button on the supplied remote control two times to exit out of the error screen.

NOTE: If this error continues to appear, make sure that the latest system software (firmware) update has been applied.

If the issue still unresolved, further troubleshooting may require.
Please contact our Technical Support line or visit our Technical Support website: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/suppor ... X800&LOC=3

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook