Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Television - General

Tuning Up
JenksD
Accepted Solution

tvgos not working

Sony TV guide not working

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ShaunH

Re: tvgos not working

Hello Don,
Welcome to the Sony Community.

The TV Guide On Screen system is a third party service currently provided by the Rovi Corporation. They are discontinuing the broadcast transmission of TV Guide data from all US locations and will complete that process by April 1, 2013. This is the reason why the TV Guide is not working in your TV.

Refer to the following Knowledge Base article pertaining to Rovi TV Guide:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C1032343

Thank you for your post.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
JDMoose

To receive the TV Guide over the internet requires ver 10.01 of the Rovi TV Guide service and 'most' TV's less than 4 years old have version 9.01, why can't either Sony or Rovi come up with a firmware upgrade so we can receive the service. This was one of the reasons I purchased this model TV.

I think Sony is going to lose a lot of customers because of support issues like this. :smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
bielser

I am concerned with losing the TV Guide service on my older KDL-32XBR6 that does not have internet connection capability and I have been told that adding the BRAVIA Internet Video Link DMX-NV1 to my set will not allow it to get the TV Guide information from the internet.  The on screen TV Guide is an important feature to me. 

I have purchased two Sony televisions since getting my KDL-32XBR6 just because of the on screen TV Guide.  I could have purchased less expensive sets made by other companies but I really liked the on screen TV Guide feature on the Sony sets.  It was worth the extra expense to me to get this feature.   

Can Sony come up with something to keep the TV Guide functioning after Rovi stops the service?  Can they keep it functioning on not just the internet connected sets but also the older sets?  

Sony, I think this is an important feature to a lot of your customers.  Can you do anything for us? 

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
JDMoose

[ Edited ]

I just received an email from Sony a couple of days ago that told me my 4 year old Sony KDL 46Z with a LAN connection could not be updated to receive the Rovi GOTV service. I believe with the newer 'smart' TV's Rovi has an app for this service, which requires an Internet connection of course. I was receiving it OTA.

Previously I had a Samsung TV, and I sold it to get my Sony, just because of the TV Guide service at that time. I believe all smart TV's now carry the service.

I believe I am finished purchasing any more Sony products because of this situation, plus the fact there are rumors they may be not making their TV's anymore. Remember there is an old saying that says a company's product is only as good as their support. You would think Sony would have learned a lesson with their betamax VCR's. :smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
jcataldo

I am in the same boat as everyone else here. My Rovi TVGOS service was discontinued today here in Chicagoland. I have a Bravia KDL-55EX73. We have owned it for less than a year -- we selected this model specifically for the free, "lifetime" on-screen guide feature as we are over-thei-air TV watchers. It was -the- deciding factor in us choosing this set over another model.

I've been reading online about this and everyone' saying to connect the TV to the internet to get the guide to work (ours does have a version 10 Rovi software), but that does nothing.

Is it possible for Sony to release a patch that could simply use the PSIP data (the HDTV federal mandate requires show titles & descriptions to be broadcast free via PSIP) to replace the empty TVGOS data in the on-screen guide? It appears that the TV is already receiving and using the PSIP data for the show titles and descriptions displayed at the top of the screen when you change channels. We would love to see a software patch that could utilize the PSIP data in the channel guide so that we're not just left hanging. (For what it's worth, we have an older Samsung model too that exclusively uses the PSIP data for its on-screen channel guide grid, and it's unaffected by the loss of TVGOS - guide is still working great.  I would LOVE to see a Sony solution that does the same thing and doesn't rely on a 3rd party that may pull the plug again someday.)

In searching the web, there are MANY people affected by this. There are a lot more of us watching OTA television and utilizing the on-screen guide than you might think. While I understand it isn't Sony's fault that Rovi suddenly stopped offering TVGOS, there are a lot of us who are looking for answers, especially with products that were purchased fairly recently.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
JDMoose

Have you tried setting up your Rovi TVGO through the internet connection?  According to Sony there is a selection on the TV Guide menu that will ask if you are connecting through cable or internet.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
jcataldo

I have tried to do that but it's only giving me the air/antenna option. I'd love to know how to do it & hope one of the Sony moderators can post more details.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
JDMoose

I would suggest contacting Sony support by email to see what they say. The phone support people have always given me incorrect info. They told me all I needed was an internet connection which I found was not true with version 9.01. From what email support told me, after they apologized for phone support, is that if you have TVGO version 10.01 it will work with an internet connection. Either way they have no solution to correct the issue.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
roscoelewis

The link to the "solution"  IS NOT WORKING.    SERVER NOT FOUND ERROR

Please use plain text.