Television - Picture & Sound

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 10 (3,839 Views)
Accepted Solution

I have a KDL46XBR8 with thin vertical lines and distorted color in standard, vivid, and cinema modes but not custom

I have a KDL46XBR8 with thin vertical lines and distorted color all the way accross the screen in standard, vivid, and cinema modes, but switch it to "custom" and the picture is perfect again. I tried to reinstall the latest firmware in case it got corrupt, but the TV says I already have the latests firmware installed and refuses to proceed. A Sony-authorized repairman tried a factory reset and had me unplug the TV for two hours then plug it back in with no change.  He had never seen this problem, but thought a new main board might solve it but none are available. Anyone else have an idea how to solve it? It's not the HDMI input--all of them work fine as long as I put the signal on "custom" picture.  I tried altering the setting for standard, vivid, and cinema modes, and they cleared up while using the calibration bluray but as soon as I went back to my TV signals (regardless of HDMI, AV cable, or over the air antenae input) then I had the same issue with the vertical lines. Anyone have any ideas other than keeping it on "custom" all the time?  I'm not sure how long it will maintain a quality image if I don't find a solution.  Thanks in advance.

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 10 (3,237 Views)

Re: I have a KDL46XBR8 with thin vertical lines and distorted color in standard, vivid, and cinema modes but not custom

Same problem here.

Changed all inputs for Picture Mode to using Custom Mode.  But picture quality not as precise as when using vivid, standard, or cinema.

If a fix is identified, please let us know.

Thanks.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 10 (3,231 Views)

Re: I have a KDL46XBR8 with thin vertical lines and distorted color in standard, vivid, and cinema modes but not custom

When mine was checked by a Sony expert, it proved to be a circuit board that they no longer make and is unavailable for purchase. Apparently the circuit board for custom settings is different from the one that handles the preset modes. I wound up being forced to get a new TV.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 10 (3,213 Views)

I did a bit of exploring with settings and came up with a fix that gets rid of the problem. And, with only a few clicks of the Remote Control.   No need to open the cover, nor do anything with the electronics.

Since the problem appears only in Vivid, Standard and Cinema modes, in brief here are the steps to take to get rid of the problem:

Go to each of the inputs you use (as one example, HDMI 1 ), then

Go to each of the problem Picture Modes individually (Vivid, etc.), then

Go to the entry for DRC Mode.

Change this entry selection from Mode 1 or Mode 2 to OFF.

That’s it! Problem gone.

Granted depending on the number of inputs being used there can be a lot of clicking of the remote.

Interestingly, I am not aware of any changes to the original picture. Not even sure what DRC Mode was intended to do.

So, it seems my 8 year old Sony may have a few more years.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 10 (3,208 Views)

That worked for me, too! Amazing! I'm glad I moved in to the bedroom instead of throwing it out. I wish my Sony technician had know that. Many thanks!

Rookie
Message 6 of 10 (3,182 Views)

I want to know my wifi password of my sony bravia klv32r422b
Message 7 of 10 (3,057 Views)

Hi, Ajayvarma

Thank you for visiting Sony Community

For further assistance regarding your concern, please contact the Sony offices/Sony representative offices nearest to your place of residence in Asia Pacific region http://www.sony-asia.com/countryselector.html?hpid=countryselector:AsiaPacific. Due to proximity, they are in a better position to respond to your questions or concerns.

Regards,

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 10 (852 Views)

Thanks!  Our 46XBR8 just started doing that too and using 'Custom' solved the problem.  Hope we get a few more years out of this nice set now  Smiley Happy

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 10 (746 Views)

Thank you for theThanks.

But, you can use all TV modes, by use of the TV remote alone.  As, I posted above:

quoting:

I did a bit of exploring with settings and came up with a fix that gets rid of the problem. And, with only a few clicks of the Remote Control.   No need to open the cover, nor do anything with the electronics.

Since the problem appears only in Vivid, Standard and Cinema modes, in brief here are the steps to take to get rid of the problem:

Go to each of the inputs you use (as one example, HDMI 1 ), then

Go to each of the problem Picture Modes individually (Vivid, etc.), then

Go to the entry for DRC Mode.

Change this entry selection from Mode 1 or Mode 2 to OFF.

That’s it! Problem gone.

Granted depending on the number of inputs being used there can be a lot of clicking of the remote.

Interestingly, I am not aware of any changes to the original picture. Not even sure what DRC Mode was intended to do.

So, it seems my 8 year old Sony may have a few more years.

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 10 (439 Views)

using the remote, in detail, how do I locate the custom mode?

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook