Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Television - Picture & Sound

Occasional Contributor
USER-954133
Accepted Solution

KDL-52W4100 Vertical line down screen

My beautiful Sony Bravia KDL-52W4100 LCD TV has developed the dreaded thin blue line on the screen running vertically, top to bottom, about 4 inches in from the right edge. I spent $2500 just over three years ago and have to say I am VERY disappointed. I spent a lot of money on this TV expecting MANY years of service. Customer Support directed me to two local repair shops but the writing is on the wall - it seems a lot of Sonys are developing this blue line of death. Three years of life for a top of the line TV is unacceptable. I sure hope Sony steps up and does me right on this...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-954133

Re: KDL-52W4100 Vertical line down screen

UPDATE: I wrote to Sony and their response was that they were sorry I was not completely satisfied with my television and recommended I go get it fixed. Thanks for that helpful suggestion. They should be embarassed that such an expensive product would fail, after normal to light usage, in just 3 years. So now not only am I not completely satisfied with the television, I am COMPLETELY dissatisfied with their service.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-954133

I had to pay $50 for an authorized Sony repair shop to come out and tell me that I need a new board and LCD panel. The cost? $3182!!! Thats $682 more than I paid for the TV in the first place! I spoke with Sony Customer Service and the best they could do was offer to sell me a discontinued TV (KDLEX500) for $900 - about $600 off the regular price. Shameful. I'll do more research and spend my money on another brand.
Please use plain text.
USER-918806

I bought a Sony KDL46W3000 in 2008. Mine will soon be part of the trash pile. After reading about so many similar problems, I am getting more upset. Sony needs to do the right an honorable thing and take ownership. If this were an auto safety issue, there would be a recall by the manufacturers or the lawyers would be beating down their doors. I guess since no one has been injured physically, only financially, it's perfectly acceptable. Judging by the responses of Sony, we collectively own their problems and should pay for them. Not right in my book and I feel others would agree. There are obvious issues with several of the Sony LCD products. Issues Sony should own up to and make right. Very irresponsible. I am suprised no one has talked about a class action. We used to have a tort system in the US that would discourage this kind of arrogant behavior. Unfortunately the "Gotcha" mentality is alive, well and acceptable. What goes around comes around. Until Sony comes around, I will boycott Sony products. Bye! Bye!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-963074

What Happened to Sony

I am a Project Manager for a Florida engineering firm specializing in video security, flight information display systems, emergency operation centers, 911 call centers, war rooms, access control and biometrics at dozens of airports, military, government and private installations including major theme parks in the Central Florida area. I have been a dedicated Sony customer since I was a teenager and still own two Sony CRT color televisions that are nearly ten years old; I love them and they work flawlessly. In 2009 I made the largest television purchase of my life and bought what I believed to be the best 52" LCD HD television that money could buy. I purchased a brand new Sony KDL-52W4100 for just under $3,000. For the warranty period the unit worked great and I was a very happy customer as usual. When the TV was less than two years old I noticed white horizontal lines on the screen. I tried various inputs and determined that the TV was the problem. I went through the troubleshooting process with Customer Support and was told that the LCD screen was the problem. CS recommended two authorized repair facilities to contact; one 25 miles away and the other 1,600 miles away. I called the local repair facility and was told that the screen was defective and would require a replacement for approximately $2,000. As you can imagine, I was not very pleased. I passed up several better prices on competitive brands when I made my purchase because I believed in the quality of Sony products.

So, I looked on this forum and began to see the multitude of customers with the same or similar problems. Either I have had my head in the sand or Sony has become a totally different company in the last two years. I can no longer recommend Sony video monitors or televisions to my friends or clients based on this first hand experience. Sixteen months of service life at $3,000 works out to about $167 per month. That is not a very good deal for what is considered a long term investment! My screen has only gotten worse and now has a large vertical bar on the screen and has reached the point that it is difficult to watch. I will probably purchase a new Sharp Aquos Quatro 3D, 240 Hz for about half of what I paid for the Sony. Sorry, I just feel let down and no longer have confidence in what once was a great company with great customer service.

Robert Weathers
Project Manager
Buholtz Professional Engineering, Inc.
Please use plain text.