Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Television - Picture & Sound

USER-988170

Re: Sony KDL 52XBR9 horizonal lines and ghosting at warm-up

Hello
Exact same problems with the KDL-52XBR9, warms up and then goes away. I have not yet contacted Sony yet on this issue, my last Sony TV was a 42" Grand Wega. The TV had issues, but Sony had an extended warranty due to that defect and came good with the repairs. Hopefully this time they do something similar, as there is a lot of competition out there and now Sony has lost major share holdings in part to faulty equipment and poor service. Maybe they will learn to respect the customer.
Will keep you posted.
Please use plain text.
USER-931368

My father's KDL 52 XBR9 developed horizontal lines and the Sony dealer he bought it from said it cost more to fix it than it is worth. They want to sell you another one. Who would buy another product when you have bought a $2000+ television and it didn't last 2 1/2 years. I've tried Sony's support and all you get is dead ends. No more Sonys for us if that's the kind of customer care you get. We could have bought a less expensive television but we thought Sony was better. Not again.
Please use plain text.
USER-965975

I just wanted to add my KDL52XBR9 to the list of people who are having problems with this TV. I have exactly the same problem as posted in this thread. Started when the TV was 2.5 years old and it takes about 20 minutes for the picture to clear up. Sony is going to have to step up to the plate and deal with this or this will be my last Sony product.
Please use plain text.
USER-968946

Having the same problem. Is this the problem for which there is an extended warranty on the kdlxbr9?
Please use plain text.
USER-941132

Re: KDL-52XBR9-Lines appear with blurred images

Hello, I'm sorry to see so many disgruntled Sony TV owners. It appears that I have the same LCD panel problem as the rest of you. Sony, it seems, has extended its warranty on the 52xbr9 series to fix this panel problem (let's hope they don't have an excuse not to fix it). Anyway, you will find information on their web site about the extended warranty for this problem. Give them a call. If Sony doesn't have the sense to stand behind their product and fix an obvious defect, then they don't deserve our customer support. Time will tell.
Please use plain text.
USER-966519

I have the KDL52WL130 and have the exact same problem. It started 6 months ago and would clear within a few minutes...now half-hour. Found this very interesting on line:

I have the same problem on the Sony Bravia KDL-52Z5100.
It is due to TAB problem of the LCD panel mentioned in
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW998RTAq-0&feature=related
Not T-Con or main board problem.

Cut and paste the link for a fix.
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Mad-Max

Wow! I was at first extremely surprised when I found so many people having this same issue from such a reputable manufacturer.
Back in 2008 I bought a KDL-40XBR4 for $2,400. I was looking for one of the best rated TVs known for their reliability and performance. Back then, the XBR Bravia models were rated as such. Owning multiple Sony equipment in the past from TVs, stereos to Vaio computers, I figured I couldn't go bad with a Sony. This unit did have one of the best image, resolution and sound among its kind and I was convinced I made the right decision by investing on a TV with such a hefty price tag.
Just short of 2 years after purchasing this unit I started experiencing horizontal lines with ghosting mostly pronounced at the top left corner of the screen. Just as most of you did I contacted Sony support. I expressed my issue with the unit with confidence that Sony would back up their reputation but they just to be referred to a licensed repair center. While understanding that the unit only had a year warranty and I opted out on a extended warranty from the retailer, I was outraged and couldn't believe that this was happening. A $2,400 unit going bad just shy of its 2 years and Sony out of all people not even throwing me a bone. I tried researching this issue back then but it seems that they were not as common as they are now. Within a short time I noticed that by trying to move the set from its corners it would fix the issue, after 5 to 10 minutes you would turn the set off and then back on it would reset it self also. Coincidently, a few months later Sony had a re-call which affected my model. I immediately thought that the recall was related to my existing issue. Sony eventually sent a certified repair person to perform the re-call. Upon arrival I explained the issue to the rep but rep stated that the recall was to verify if a part needed to be replaced or not which is prone to overheating and possibly melting the plastic shell. He did see the problem and guessed the the most probable cause is the TCON or the FB1 (video processing board) and quoted me over $1,200 to fix the issue. I was disappointed to say the least. The rep conducted his re-call and went on his way. I though the issue wasn't that bad and I can probably live with it but the issue progressively began to get worst. The once slight horizontal lines with ghosting were now a rare occurance and almost no longer an issue. Now it produces these vertical lines, completely blurring out the image from top to bottom taking almost twice as long so then I can try to turn it off and back on to restore the image. At this point I'm ready to buy a new set and I will definitely consider Samsung & LG when I wouldn't in the past. As you see this post of mine, I have revisited my options on a solution but seems that things are just getting worst. On my recent searches I ran into this posting and a a lot more than I expected related to this same issue. There are several people trying to organize a class action lawsuit and even organize petitions for The BBB which sounds like an attractive option, considering the amount of people that are having this same issue and Sony obviously still not trying to handle this issue accordingly it seems like the best decision at this time.
In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't repaired it out of my own pocket since many have had reoccurrence of the same issues after repairing it.
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
sachmo

Re: KDL-52w4100 Lines appear with blurred images

Same problem with Sony KDL52W4100 TV. Sony seems to care less if they lose customers. I will just keep spreading the word that Sony will not back known defects. Whenever I go to Best Buy or any other store which sells TV and see someone looking at a Sony I tell them about known problems and lack of support from Sony after the warranty is up. I suggest seriously thinking about throwing away your money and have a huge paper weight after a year or two

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
georgeromero186

Re: Sony KDL 46W4100 horizonal lines and ghosting at warm-up

Sounds like there is enough grief for a class action law suit. They really dont care about you untill your taking money out of thier pocket. And ignorant? You can bet they know all about it. Repairs that cost more than the tv, so you never return it, and major (infeirior) parts that break down just after warrenty... more than planned. bad sony, bad sony! shame on you. i dont know what they call it, but its not legal. id start with internation ombudsman association. that should get thier attention

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
AussieGuy38

[ Edited ]

Same problem across in Australia,   I bought a Sony-Bravia-KDL-52X3100 52 inch LCD in 2008 and now when I turn the TV on I get a ghosting double image with also lines across the screen, after 15-20 mins it seems to go away to return whenever I turn my TV back on again :smileysad:  Support in my region is even worse (Indian Call centre with un-interested Indians at the helm)  who suggested I send my massive TV in its original Box 1400ks away to my nearest TV repair centre!   Seems you guys have had similar issues and have been told it will cost thousands to repair, I don't think  I will bother paying for the shipping costs and diagnoses to be told the same thing!

Always been a loyal Sony consumer but it seems like most other electronics these days, they are just not made to last any longer than their warranty period!  The worst thing is here in Australia everything costs 30-40 percent more than in the US,  this TV cost me 4200 dollars AUS when I bought it 5 years ago, a significant purchase that mysteriously lasted just beyond my warranty like magic!

Please use plain text.