Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Television - Picture & Sound

New Contributor
USER-959320
Accepted Solution

KDS-R60XBR2 - Optical Block???

Ok, add me to the parade of Sony dis-satisfied customers. Over the years I have done a crazy amount of purchases from Sony. Multiple TV's, DVD players, Audio Systems, a Blu-Ray, Camcorders. They were my go to electronics vendor. So, when I decided to buy a new TV to be the center piece of my Home Entertainment System of course I went to Sony. Granted I go through Sony DVD players like they are candy, but I always took that as the nature of that type of technolgy...plus they are relativly cheap. I spent nearly $4000 for the TV once you calculate the price of the TV, Stand and accessories, and then bang a few short years later it goes green due to a technolgy issue and the answer is to sell me a lesser quality TV's (KDL-55BX520 and KDL-60EX720) at a discount I have to cry foul.

Sony, you should be ashamed of yourself for putting this on the market! It's going to be some interesting conversations when I go to my local "Mom and Pop" electronics/appliance store where I puchased most of my Sony products over the past 14 years, as they were the ones who i also purchased a new lamp thinking that would fix my problem before I did any real research (riiiiight, another $300 down the drain). Also, what fun it will be to explain to my friends and relatives who come over to enjoy movies in my entertainment room when I have to explain what happened to my pride and joy (though they noticed the green tint effect before I did).

I have to seriously consider even thier offer of a cheap replacement, the 60" (KDL-60EX720) unit isn't even one of thier better units and to make matters worse unlike the other TV's of the same catagory it dosnt have any reviews. It looks like they are trying to "get rid" of inventory and appease customers at the same time.

I'm not saying I'll never buy a Sony product again, the two Sony TV's that I bought previous to this one are still working just fine (the oldest probably 14 years old), but I definitly wont be purchasing a high priced item from them especially one that contains new technology until they either get better at fixing problems designed into thier equipment or (preferably) improve product quality.

Thanks
Dan N.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-959320

Re: KDS-R60XBR2 - Optical Block???

Sigh, well I went to my local electronics store and they said that based on thier experiance I should take the deal offered as repairing the TV would be a waste of money. They mentioned that while they werent the best models, for the price they were being offered I should make the deal. So, I decided to make the call and see how the exchange worked. Sounds like the quoted price dosnt cover taxes, but does cover shipping (yay). They don't take the old one, or at least the guy on the phone didnt seem to think they would, so I'll need to figure out how to get rid of it.
Also, they need me to snail mail(?) them a picture of the "issue" and a piece of paper with the black sticker from the back of the unit before they process my request, so thats another 4 weeks before i get a tv. I guess I need to figure out how much its going to cost me to dispose of a 60" TV and that cost and the delay of a month is worth continuing the process. Still pretty disappointing.
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
KimberlyS

Hello Dan,
Welcome to the User Discussion Forums.
Thank you for your comments. we see by your posts, you are working with Customer Relations/ Service to replace your television.

Sony Is committed to saving the environment and has many places nationwide that will accept your old TV. There may even be a location near you.
EcoTrade from Sony happily accepts both eligible Sony and non-Sony products and lets you trade them in for credit towards the latest Sony has to offer. please review this link for more details.
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... Id=tradeup
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-959320

Hi Mod,

I appreciate the comments. Checked out the link.
Yes Sony, does exchange (which is a very loose interpetation of "exchange", since they don't actually take anything other than more money and the sticker from the back of the TV)
No they wont take the old TV away
Yes they can recommend to me where I can pay to take it away to
Great, thanks.

Q: Are TVs eligible for Trade-In or Mail Back Recycling?
A: Unfortunately, due to the size and weight of TV sets we are unable to offer shipping for Trade-In or Recycling. Please visit your nearest recycling drop off location to recycle your Sony TV.
Please use plain text.
USER-948488

I would like to agree and state the same problem I had with my KDSR70XBR2 I purchased in 2007. The price was $6000.00 and at the end of the year I got it on sale for $5000.00. I also, spent $2500.00 on a cab. that would fit this 70" tv. When the optical block burned out in 2011 I was offered the same deal...buy a replacement at a discounted price. Now I guess Sony didn't have to do anything, although the class action lawsuites may state differently. However, with it being a known defect I think they should have done better by us. Like you I have purchased many Sony products over the years and I have had many issues with the dvd players not lasting very long. I thought too that t was just the nature of dvd players, but I now think it is just Sony products. I have had various other issues with their products too.
I took the free low end smaller tv that they offered since they will never get any more of my money. I've also noticed that Sony has been loosing money lately...probably because of lack of quality and poor customer service.
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
tgibson232

I own the same model TV and I too have bought many Sony products over the past 40 years. Have not bought any since I began having problems with my TV and Sony refused to take any responsibility for the problem. The first time I called my set was still under warranty. I was told it was probably caused by the projection bulb I had just replaced. My options were to buy another bulb at around $300, if I remember correctly, or wait until I changed the bulb next time and see if the problem went away. Problem is I am still on the second bulb almost 5 years later. Then I found out about the optical block LCD panel problem and called again. I was offered a choice between 2 smaller, less expensive models that had poor ratings. I refused the offer and was told by the customer service person that it was my problem and Sony didn't really care if I ever bought another product from them. So I haven't bought a Sony product, none of my family or friends has either and I even refused a free DVD player I was offered. I know it does not hurt Sony at all but I will forever disuade anyone from buying a Sony product. I have even told folks looking at Sony TV's in stores not to buy one and the problem I had with mine and that the problem has persisted into newer models, perhaps even the one they are considering.

So I have been watching a yellow picture for all this time. I have found this experience to be so disheartening. I now have read so many customer complaints about ever TV maker that I can't decide who to trust. At least I know what the current problem is and do have a picture. I am currently considering ordering an optical block and doing the replacement myself, after all the worse that can happen is I'll have to buy a new non-Sony TV.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
mtb54703

[ Edited ]

I own a KDS-R60XBR2 that was purchased in January 2007.   It has worked well over the years but I always wondered when I would start to see optical block issues - and in the last few months I have.   The menus that are set be blue are greenish on the upper 2/3rds of the display.   It's most noticable when the set is first turned on and the bulb gets to full brightness, then it seems to fade.  Depending on the color content of the picture being displayed I can sometime easily see the greenish tint, sometimes not. 

I've watched some of the videos on pulling the optical block and getting it serviced - this technology has advanced too much to try and keep this beast alive. 

At the stage of the game - amost 7 years after purchase and as well being after any class action inspired extended warranty periods has anyone gotten an offer from Sony towards a new TV?   My unit is just starting to fail, but with the holidays coming up I'll be keeping an eye out for any deals on any brand.   It's really amazing that I can get a 70" from Vizio and others for less than half of what I paid for the 60". 

Please use plain text.
AngelaP

Hi mtb54703!

Thanks for the message. Based on the information that we have from the Community we can't seem to find records showing that you called prior to this post. Is this the first time that you have reached us regarding this matter?

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
mtb54703

[ Edited ]

I did call and talk to someone in "Customer Relations" who offered to refer me to my nearest service center, but I wasn't interested in repairing the unit.   I was also told the I should receive an email in 24-48 hours regarding some type of customer loyalty benfit.   

I've owned Sony TVs for a long time - I recently just replaced a 36 CRT that lasted 13 years!   So getting only 7 years out of what was a flagship model at the time purchase seem a bit short lived.

Please use plain text.
AngelaP

Thank you for getting back to us. Were you given any reference number (ex. E12345678) when you spoke with a representative from Customer Relations? If yes, please send us your reference number so that we can review your file. Have you checked your spam/junk mail folders for the email that you were told that you will be receiving within 24-48 hours? 

Please use plain text.