Welcome to the Community!

Television - Picture & Sound

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 11 of 48 (3,639 Views)

Re: Sony KDL-70R550A blank screen problem

This also just happened to me last week! I have the exact same issue. I can turn on my TV (power light turns green), but no Sony Logo pops up in the beginning and no menu or settings to choose from. Just a blank screen, however the backlight still illuminates the TV.  I called Sony support and gave them my issue and over the phone they diagnosed the problem with the T-Con board going bad. I then called the most reputable TV repair guy I could find yelp. With a 5 star rating I gave him a call and told him my issue and he said he can order the part and do the repair. I get a call today and he told me the issue wasn't the T-Con board but the panel itself and I would have to replace the whole display which was going to cost more than the TV itself! This is absolutely ridiculous that I spent over $2k on this high end set to go completely dead in just 2 years. I have done some reach online and this is actually a common problem on this model therefore Sony discontinued this model. Since this is the case for many customers with this model, the problem lies with Sony to fix the issue and should not be the responsibilty of the cusotmer.

I am writing this to let everyone know who is also experincing this issue to email Sony a complaint. I have always bought and believed in Sony products but will no longer ever buy Sony again unless they can rectify the problem. 

Enthusiast
Message 12 of 48 (3,574 Views)

I also just experienced this exact same problem yesterday on my KDL70R550A. After about two years of light use, no display, just sound. I've already contacted support by phone and also have emailed Customer Relations (Event ID # E61698085). Their response was the typical 15% off on a new TV that they always offer or pay to fix it yourself since it's past the 1 year warranty. This is the second time this has happened to me. My previous Sony TV (KDS50A2000) had an optical block issue that started to fail right after the extended warranty on it had ended. That TV was about 6-7 years old, and all I was offered back then was the typical 15% discount. I can understand 6-7 years being an older TV, but I paid close to $2000 for this replacement and it has failed in two years with light use. Researching on this forum and other places online, the repair sounds unfeasible since the panel cost is $5000, way more than the TV itself. Very disappointed in Sony after being a loyal customer for 20+ years.

Enthusiast
Message 13 of 48 (3,561 Views)

I talked to Sony a few times and finally I had a Sony authorized TV repair guy come out to my house and diagnose my TV whick cost me $155.00. I had a faulty display panel which is no longer available and the law is if the TV is not repairable they have to replace it for 7 yrs from the date of purchase..Sony just sent me a re certified KDL70R550A. I didint want a used on or rebult TV but Sony sent it out to me...it seems to work ok. I was hoping they would give me a credit toward a newer model and I pay the difference but no.

Hope this helps

Rookie
Message 14 of 48 (3,508 Views)

@jdk100175 - Hey I tried talking to Sony again and they won't help me. 

Do you mind providing your Event ID? I told them that other people on the forum are experiencing the same issue and some were able to get a replacement tv.

They asked me for the Event ID so they can look it up and if it is the similar issue they can help me out.

Thanks,

Colby

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 15 of 48 (3,507 Views)

Time for a class action law suit.

Enthusiast
Message 16 of 48 (3,506 Views)

I've called them to.  No fix.  Just a dead 70 inch TV in my garage.

Enthusiast
Message 17 of 48 (3,479 Views)

Me too, they are refusing to do anything.

Enthusiast
Message 18 of 48 (3,469 Views)

If you guys need a new display, they aren't available. The law is they have to supply replacement parts for your tv for 7 years form the date of purchase. Mine had a faulty display and there aren't any displays/panels available..
Enthusiast
Message 19 of 48 (3,112 Views)

Their must be aproblem with these panels. Im getting a picture but a giant black spot the size of two footballs in the middle of the screen. It seems to get bigger everyday so I assume the entire screen will be bad soon

Apprentice
Message 20 of 48 (2,831 Views)

I am pretty discouraged reading this forum, as we also have been burned by this tv.  We bought a Sony KDL70R550A just two years ago for Christmas.  Today, when we turned it on there was a partial picture but then it powered off after a couple seconds.  The power light blinks 5 times.  All troubleshooting suggests the tv is dead.

I called Sony customer support and of course they said there's nothing they can do as it is past warranty.  I'm appalled that they wouldn't even try to trouble shoot with me or help me in any way.  They wouldn't even pass my call to a supervisor!  Am I to assume that Sony tv's are supposed to only last a year, and we are lucky to have made it to two?  Basically I rented this tv for $100/mth, considering what I paid!

What can I do - we bought it from Best Buy so that's what I am going to try next.  I'm reading that others managed to get a new tv with their complaints, but I can't even get a representative to check the tv to diagnosis it!

Any help would be appreciated.  If there is a class action, please count me in!

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook