Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Television - Picture & Sound

New Contributor
USER-950494
Accepted Solution

Sony Wega Lamp Problems

I have a KDF 42-WE655 and just learned that Sony designed this TV with a lamp that will eventually need to be replaced because it is, after all, a lamp. As per the Sony Technical Support Team, it could be anywhere from 6 months to 4 years after purchase. Perhaps this insignificant (yes, that is sarcasm) piece of information should have been written in large capital letters on the front of the display model in the store when I bought this TV, you know, something saying, "hey guy, yea, you, the guy who is about to dump $2,000 on a poorly designed TV, you are going to have to pay an extra $230 every 6 to 48 months on a new lamp...oh, and be sure to learn how to take apart your TV to replace it." If I only knew this, I would have purchased a Samsung like everyone else I know. Why is it that my 20 year old tube TV still works fine, but new technology that came with a $2k price tag needs a lamp replacement. And, why would I dump $230 into a TV (and have to take apart my TV) when I could put that money towards a brand that doesn't have the thousands of complaints I am reading about Sony Wegas and certain other Sony TV's (to remain nameless for purposes of this post). I am sorely disappointed in my purchase. Don't sell a TV that has a lamp life of 6 months to 48 months and not tell the poor sap that is laying out hard earned money to buy it. Never again will I buy Sony.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-950494

Re: Sony Wega Lamp Problems

Sony contacted me regarding my lamp issue and made what seems to be a fair replacement offer. I am waiting on the confirmation e-mail and will then need to think about it prior to making a decision, but I was impressed with the fact that they made the offer. And, the offer seems, all things considered, pretty reasonable.
Please use plain text.
USER-963096

I am angry also about this lamp issue. The television blew out around 2:00 am. All the football games are on today, can't find a bulb anywhere!!!!!! Been looking for a new sony tv, a bigger one . I'm gonna switch brands this time. Iknow i can order online, but it takes 3-5 business day's, maybe more to get it!!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-923757

Don't feel too bad about your lamp. I made my decision to buy a Trinitron WEGA CRT (tube) TV because I wanted to avoid the cost of replacement LED bulbs or worn out plasma. I don't mind the size of a big tube out the back and I trust the old tube technology, I spent $1500. Guess what, my SONY just died on me today and I am told I need to spend $300 on a replacement chips inside. Plasma, LED or CRT SONY's just stink in my book.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-959654

HEY GUYS DON'T FEEL BAD I HAVE A KDF50WE655 BOUGHT IT IN 2005 HAVE REPLACED THE LAMP 3 TIMES AT 200.00 EACH.YOU ARE RIGHT THEY SHOULD HAVE TOLD US ABOUT THE LAMP AND THE COST TO REPLACE THAT LAMP.I WAS OFFERED A FLOOR MODEL FOR 200.00 OFF THE PRICE.WOW I WONDER WHY.I DID'NT BUY THE FLOOR MODEL.I BOUGHT A NEW ONE IN THE BOX.WITHIN 1 YR THE SCREEN HAD PINK AND GREEN BLOTCHES ALL OVER IT.HAS BEEN IN THE SHOP 3 TIMES.STILL NOT FIXED.SO I WILL TAKE IT OUT TO THE DESERT AND BLOW IT UP.(HAHA) WORD OF ADVISE DON'T BUY A NEW TV. SONY IS USING US AS THE GUINNE PIGS FOR THEIR PRODUCTS.THESE PROBLEMS SHOULD BE WORKED OUT BEFORE GOING ON THE MARKET NOT AFTER.
Please use plain text.
USER-935493

i have a sony wega KF-42WE610 IT WON'T COME ON THE GREEN LIGHT KEEP BLANKING THEN THE LAMP LIGHT COMES ON NO PIC OR SOUND
Please use plain text.
USER-976415

I also have the Sony Wega and spent a lot of money on this tv. I am now looking at replacing the lamp in this tv for the third time!!! Thank goodness the first time was under warranty, but the second and the third will be right out of my pocket!! I am to the point that I am just gonna take that 200 and something and put it towards a new tv, and this time it will not be a Sony. I always thought that this was a reliable brand, but this tv has proved me wrong. For all of you going through this issue...I would just sell the tv for what you can get and take that plus the 200 or so you would have spent on a new bulb and get a new tv! This will happen over and over again.
Please use plain text.
USER-907003

I am livid and will NEVER purchase a Sony product again! I own the kdf-e50a10 model and found out about the lamp replacement the hard way. I'm a good sport though so I bought the replacement and replaced it myself today. It worked and my family was thrilled to have our television working again. So tonight we sat down as a family to watch and the darn thing will not turn on. I have read the manual which says that when the light blinks red three times it is telling me that the bulb and/or door is not secured, so I have been trying for hours to secure it correctly with no luck. I am ready to throw the whole thing out the window and scream from the rooftops about how horrible Sony products are. If anyone has any advice other than to buy a new television than please, please, please let me know what to do next. Beyond frustrated!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-948761

You don't have to pay 200+ for the bulb. I buy Osram bulbs on e-bay that you put in the sony housing that cost $87.00. The Osram bulbs have a larger vent for cooling and last just as long, if not longer. People who bought these TV's should have known it was a projection TV with a bulb. It was common knowlege at the time. The DLP projector TV's have bulbs also. It was at the time cheaper to buy a projection TV as apposed to the direct view. My 60" was about 3000.00 at the time and the plasmas and LCD's where nearly twice as much. I have had to replace my bulb 3 times since 2005, still a bargin. Direct view plasmas and LCD's are now cheaper and no need to buy a projection TV unless you want something larger than a 60". Mitsubishi makes big DLP projection TV's 80"+. When I replace my 60" Sony I will buy at least a 80" DLP.
Please use plain text.
USER-961464

FYI all, go to amazon and look up "sony wega, television lamps" (or your brand)
they run around $50 dollars, I was very frustrated also until a friend happened to find out for me about this, but have not replaced it yet, still making sure that is my problem since the fan is not runnning, does anyone know if a burnt out lamp will cause the cooling fan not to work?
Please use plain text.