Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Television - Picture & Sound

USER-911665

Re: Sony Wega Lamp Problems

I have a kdfe42a10. My original lamp lasted 5 years. My first replacement lamp lasted 5 months. I have now had two lamps that have failed after 10 days each. They don't burn out, they seem to over heat and the TV keeps shutting down and restarting after a couple minutes. Does anyone know if the problem is caused by the lamp or if there is some other problem?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-948761

I have a kdfe42a10. My original lamp lasted 5 years. My first replacement lamp lasted 5 months. I have now had two lamps that have failed after 10 days each. They don't burn out, they seem to over heat and the TV keeps shutting down and restarting after a couple minutes. Does anyone know if the problem is caused by the lamp or if there is some other problem?

Is the cooling fan coming on? You should hear it at the back of the TV. It may be overheating if it is not working.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-942020

I have a SONY WEGA_KF50WE620, like you can see I'm another one stuck with lamp problems. I've had the T.V. for 7 wonderful years without a single glitch. Mind you, I don't use it that often. The first lamp lasted for 7 years the second lasted 5 months. When I replaced the first lamp, I noticed that the lamp cover had melted in some areas indicating overheating. The fan seemed functional atleast when I turned the T.V. on. so I went ahead with replacing the light bulb. The bulb lasted 5 months and I'm back to square one. Here are my questions to those who have lived through a simular problem and haven't thrown their giant screen T.V. in a landfill site.
a) when you replaced the lamps did you purchase them from Sony or other ? I purchased the replacement lamp from APEX
b) Did you notice any discoloration or melting on the lamp color or housing ?
c) Did you ever replace the fan or are aware of other parts that can inpact the lamp cooling cycle ?
Thank-you for your help.
Please use plain text.
USER-962921

Like one of the posters above me, I am having problems trying to replace the lamp myself. I have installed the new bulb, but when I try to turn the TV on, I get a red light that flashes 3 times. The manual says the lamp is not installed securely, but I am at a loss as to how to be more secure aside from perhaps hitting it with a mallot...oh wait, bad plan! :smileywink:

So anyone have experience with this kind of issue? I really love my TV and this is the first replacement bulb I've had to put in it, which is pretty amazing since I bought this TV about 7 years ago.

Oh I am trying to test the TV before reinstalling the front panel on the TV, but the bulb is completely installed with screws tight. Would like make a difference? Also is there a way to "reset" the timer for the light? I see this reference on literature and the instructions to accomplish this are supposed to come with the replacement light, but there are no instructions for any type of reset that I can see. I did buy a "Sony" replacement bulb and not a cheap after market one.

Thanks in advance.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-942020

I'm sure you figured it out by now but just incase, there should be a plastic cover over the lamp housing unit that needs to be screwed in aswell. If still no luck undo the housing unit and the lamp and make sure the lamp to tv connectors are alligned. Good Luck.

> Like one of the posters above me, I am having problems trying to replace the lamp
> myself. I have installed the new bulb, but when I try to turn the TV on, I get a
> red light that flashes 3 times. The manual says the lamp is not installed securely,
> but I am at a loss as to how to be more secure aside from perhaps hitting it with
> a mallot...oh wait, bad plan! :smileywink:
>
> So anyone have experience with this kind of issue? I really love my TV and this is
> the first replacement bulb I've had to put in it, which is pretty amazing since
> I bought this TV about 7 years ago.
>
> Oh I am trying to test the TV before reinstalling the front panel on the TV, but
> the bulb is completely installed with screws tight. Would like make a difference?
> Also is there a way to "reset" the timer for the light? I see this reference on
> literature and the instructions to accomplish this are supposed to come with the
> replacement light, but there are no instructions for any type of reset that I can
> see. I did buy a "Sony" replacement bulb and not a cheap after market one.
>
> Thanks in advance.
I have a SONY WEGA_KF50WE620, like you can see I'm another one stuck with lamp problems. I've had the T.V. for 7 wonderful years without a single glitch. Mind you, I don't use it that often. The first lamp lasted for 7 years the second lasted 5 months. When I replaced the first lamp, I noticed that the lamp cover had melted in some areas indicating overheating. The fan seemed functional atleast when I turned the T.V. on. so I went ahead with replacing the light bulb. The bulb lasted 5 months and I'm back to square one. Here are my questions to those who have lived through a simular problem and haven't thrown their giant screen T.V. in a landfill site.
a) when you replaced the lamps did you purchase them from Sony or other ? I purchased the replacement lamp from APEX
b) Did you notice any discoloration or melting on the lamp color or housing ?
c) Did you ever replace the fan or are aware of other parts that can inpact the lamp cooling cycle ?
Thank-you for your help.
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
masudi

please replace the fan first before you cue in the lamp coz that might have made the lamp to over react

Please use plain text.