Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Television - Picture & Sound

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 4 (211 Views)

Surround sound not working via HDMI ARC for Laptop > Sony 65XE9305 Television > Sony STR-DN1030 Receiver

[ Edited ]

Please help - I can’t get surround sound from my laptop. It is a Windows 10 HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook connected to my new Sony 65XE9305 Television with High Speed HDMI cable. I have ARC HDMI connection from my TV to my Sony STR-DN1030 Receiver.

I know ARC is working for my other inputs because I get 5.1 surround sound from my xbox 360 that is also connected to the TV with HDMI.  I confirmed this by playing a DVD – the receiver is set to A.F.D Auto and the display shows it is receiving Dolby Digital 5.1. I can also use the installed Video app on the TV and it plays 5.1 surround sound without issue.

However, with my laptop at best I can get is 2.1 output.

On my laptop I go to Sound > Playback devices. I can see the Television as SONY TV *00. If I click to configure I see 4 options for speaker configuration:

• Stereo
  • Quadraphonic
  • 3.1 Surround
  • 5.1 Surround

I select 5.1 Surround and then click the test button. The TV displays “A 3840x2160p” the receiver displays “--------“ and then shows “LPCM [48]”. Sometimes one of the front speakers will make sound. What should happen is that each and every speaker plays the test signal.

If I play a 5.1 surround sound enabled video file using VLC player on the laptop then the receiver displays “LPCM [48]” and only the L R and SW icons are lit.

Is there some setting need to change on either the tv receiver or laptop to get this working? The TV was only delivered a few days ago so I have time to return it if I can’t get a solution. Thanks for your help.

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 4 (103 Views)

Re: Surround sound not working via HDMI ARC for Laptop > Sony 65XE9305 Television > Sony STR-DN1030 Receiver

I still haven't got this working. The workaround I am using is to connect laptop to receiver. I can then get 5.1 surround but only 1080p resolution. Ideally I'd like to connect the laptop to the TV for 4k display and have 5.1 surround sound from the receiver via the HDMI ARC.

Can anyone help? I'm posting more details about my settings below:

TV:

(Action Menu / Speakers)

Audio System

(Action Menu / Sound )

ClearAudio+: On

Sound mode: Standard

(Action Menu / Sound / Advanced Settings)

Advanced auto volume: Off

Balance: Centre

Digital audio out volume: Max

Volume offset: 0

Dolby Dynamic Range: Standard

Dolby Digital Plus Output: Dolby Digital Plus

(Home / Settings / Sound) 

Speakers: Audio System

Audio System Prioritisation: On

Headphone/Audio out: Audio out (Fixed)

Digital Audio Out: Auto 1

Receiver:

Input mode (physical button): AUTO

(Settings / HDMI)

Ctrl for HDMI: ON

Pass Through: AUTO

Audio Out: Amp

Sound Field: A.F.D. AUTO

Message 3 of 4 (72 Views)

Re: Surround sound not working via HDMI ARC for Laptop > Sony 65XE9305 Television > Sony STR-DN1030 Receiver

Hi Neal_S,

Welcome to the Sony Community!

By looking at the sound playback options, your laptop is capable of having 5.1 surround since it is available in the selection. Assuming that it is hooked up to your receiver via HDMI, you may try pressing the sound field buttons +/- on the receiver's remote until you get sound on all your speakers. 

For further assistance, we recommend visiting our Sony Global Website for information on contacting the Sony Support Center in your region at http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/. Due to proximity, they are in a better position to provide support.

Best regards,
-Mark

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution".

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 4 (64 Views)

Hi there!

Thank you very much for your reply.

I made some progress but didn’t need to change the Sound Field on the Receiver as it is already correctly on the A.F.D Auto setting. If I have it on other settings (e.g. Pro Logic) then I can’t be sure if I’m getting “pseudo” surround sound.

If I play a DTS 5.1 movie file with the “Films & TV” application on my Windows laptop then somehow I am correctly getting DTS 5.1 on the receiver. If I play that same file with VLC Player then I am getting only the stereo sound.

I’m not sure why surround works with “Films & TV” but not with either VLC or the Configure Speakers test in Playback devices. I also can only get stereo when playing games (e.g. Witcher 3 through Steam).

I’ve spent many hours trying various settings but with no success. Maybe these “quirks” are due to the Android version on the Sony TV or perhaps even an ARC limitation of the current version of HDMI? Maybe it’s even an issue with the laptop. I’m hoping that a future update to the TV software will fix the problem.

For now I guess I’ll just continue using my workaround solution by plugging the laptop directly to the Receiver so I get surround sound working fine but only with 1080p resolution picture passed to the TV.

Thanks,

Neal

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook