Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Television - Picture & Sound

Groovin'
Merv
Accepted Solution

Vertical Lines - Filing a small claims is it worth it?

I purchased a Sony Bravia KDL-40W4100 TV for £1200 on March 19th 2009

The TV every so often displayed vertical lines but seemed to resolve itself.

After seeing the problem more and more I asked Sony to replace it on April 4th 2010.

Sony refused saying I was then 15 days out of warranty and referred me to a local repair shop.

The repair shop wanted approximately $450 which seemed alot. As the problem kept resolving itself I did not proceed with the repair.

Since then the problem has been intermittent it comes and goes Sony gave me the instructions for doing factory resets,  however as of this month its permanent making watching TV this Christmas unwatchable :smileysad:

Of course with hindsight I wish I had returned the TV in the first 6 months for a refund the first time I saw the lines but I didn't.

I now have to buy a new TV (not Sony) but the attitude of Sony regarding this one has really been niggling me.

I spoke with a local consumer advice person and who recommended I file a claim with the local county court to have my case heard.

I went to the court this afternoon and they gave me the papers to fill in. It will only cost $200.

She thought it was reasonable to expect a TV costing £1200 to last more than 1 year 15 days and I had a strong case that

The problem was an existing one at the time of sale.

I am tempted to give it a go.  Has anyone tried such a small claims?  Is it worth it? 

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
rocko99

Re: Vertical Lines - Filing a small claims is it worth it?

Try again to contact them via twitter and facebook. http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Have-a-Defective-Sony-TV/182875766612 . Keep making a stink. They will at some point give you a huge discount on another tv. Not perfect, but it's something.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Merv

[ Edited ]

I was tempted to give it a go but after more research it seems '1 year warranty' is just that,  so there is chance i would lose.

Apparantly Samsung are more flexible with their warranties so im going to put the money i would have spent on the court papers to a new Samsung TV.

Reading other user experiences there are some people who spent $3k on a Sony TV wihch failed in month 13. Maybe I got away lightly.

Please use plain text.
Sony Employee
ScottF

[ Edited ]

Hi Merv, I am sorry to see your experience with your KDL40W4100.  Typically if a unit is only days beyond the warranty Sony is flexible.  I would like to review your Event ID it to make sure the file was handled properly and that we took everything into account we should have. Our email address is SonyListens@am.sony.com   Can you please email me your Event ID # or your pertinent information so that I can locate it?  Such as your name, address, phone number, model/serial numbers, proof of purchase etc... Thanks, Scott Fuentes =~)

Please use plain text.
Sony Employee
ScottF

Merv, I have located your Event ID and will review it.  I will be reaching out to you via email shortly.  Thanks, ScottF

Please use plain text.